Gibrey Beach????

big al

Hi guys-My wife & I will be in ST.Thomas/St.John on May 21 and saw an article in a Caribbean magazine on beaches in St.John and saw this great pic of Gibrey Beach.I have been to Trunk Bay(and loved it),but my wife wants to visit somewhere different...anybody been here?How far from the port?AND-any food/bathroom facilities? Thanks..any other suggestions with the above info would be appreciated....

Big Al

Hello Big Al,

Gibney Beach has no facilities or amenities, just a beautiful beach. Its entrance is not far past Hawksnest Beach. The same beach is also called Oppenheimer, after Mr. Oppenheimer that invented the atomic bomb, who owned a house on the beach. The house has been donated to the VI and is now a community center, available for people/organizations to rent. The section of the beach in front of the community center is what is refered to as Oppenheimer, the rest of the beach being Gibney. Parking doesn't exist, except for a few road side spots and the entrance is through a gate, you walk through the door in the gate. There is good snorkeling along the right side. The property behind Gibney Beach is private property so should be respected as such. There is no sign for the beach. If you go there by taxi, arrange for the driver to come back for you at a set time OR you can chance your luck at flagging one down roadside.

--Islander

http://www.*****

Archived