Marigot?

mapsmith

Tell me about Marigot. Figure that we can always do a quick stop at Phillipsburg on the way back to the ship. But it appears most tours of the Island only have about 30 minutes in Marigot. Is there anything that would interest us in Marigot or is it like Castries (St. Lucia) and really not a tourist town?

Another easy way to get there is the local bus (will probably be a large van). Just go over to Back St. (1 block over from Front St. which is the street closer to the water) and look for a large vehicle with a sign "Marigot" high in the windshield. If you are not at a regular stop just flag it down and the driver will stop. When we were there at the beginning of the year it was $2 pp each way and they appreciate our business. Use the same technique to get a bus for the ride back to Phillipsburg. Look for a vehicle with a sign "Phillipsburg" and flag it down. In Marigot, there is a market at the water's edge, a couple blocks over from the town area. Nice things there and the French restaurant across the street has the best ever looking pastries.

I will be in St. Martin in Novemeber and was wondering how the beach was at Marigot, how does it compare to the beached on the Atlantic side of the island.

Was thinking since Marigot and Maho are on the same side of the island it would be easier logistically to get between the two.

Marigot is a small ship port and a shopping area. There may be beaches away from town but never saw one right there. Maho is near P'burg and right at the airport and not close to Marigot.

There is a beach in Marigot, about 500 yards SW of the Marketplace. It's just past the cemetery, near Hotel Beach Plaza. I would never spend any time there, but it IS there.

th_DSCN4319.jpg

(click)

In distance (not time) Marigot is actually closer to Philipsburg any way you measure it, as the crow flys or by street distance. Take a look at the map (or try Google Earth).

gary

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We are going to customize our private tour with Bernard, and am wondering how long we should plan to spend here. Also going to a beach (not sure what one yet) and going to spend an hour at Maho.

Well, we can spend a whole morning in Marigot. I have 2 daughters who love to shop there and want to try on everything. If I let them, we would probably be there all day!

My teens love Color Freak on Front Street in Phillipsburg. Try the West Indies Mall in Marigot for designer and higher end stores. Have only been once many years ago but the prices were crazy high for me if that helps. I am pretty sure there was a Prada clothing store among others.

Gary,

Thank you soooo much, but I already had this site bookmarked. It doesnt seem to be a full list, unless the designers Im looking for just arent there!! lol

Stacey

Well, I get back pages of links from that search, but if you have a question about a specific designer, why not mention what you're looking for?

gary

Found the info, answered my own queries & passing it along......

Thanks for trying gtaylor (I bought a Gucci bag on St Maarten someodd years back). Granted there was also a Fiorucci which doesnt exist there now either.

It has closed and is now just on SXT (I dont count Aruba, I have no desire to ever go there), I will wait for YHG. There is also a Louis Vuitton store at YHG in case OTHERS are interested. Skip SXM, SXT is where you want to shop for designer bags and assecories!

As for Vuitton products, I have 3 stores within 1-1.5 hrs from me, AC being my favorite since its on the beach!

• 3 weeks later...
When catching the local bus from Back Street can you recommend a corner or cross street location that is near the cruise port and likley to have these bus stopping places. Thanks

We have used the buses (vans) more than once to and from Marigot and never has one gone close to the port. They come into town, loop around to Back St. and then leave town in the opposite direction of the port. We took the water taxi from the pier to town, but we have walked it before, too. Then we turned to the left on Front St. for a few blocks and then turned right at a good cross thru and arrived at Back St. On Back St. it doesn't matter where you stand, just flag down the first bus you see with your destination sign in the windshield.

Archived