Kindle Question

Live4cruises

McScotty...my Kindle will "read" to you...got mine last Christmas! It's a wonderful thing and I'm very glad I did get it..but oldest son is an Apple person all the way. He finally talked me into a Mac computer this year and at this beach this summer he and his wife both had their Ipads..I fell in love with the Ipad ...and is what I want for Christmas:)

I do believe I will still use my Kindle for my book reading and perhaps just use the Ipad as a small convenient computer. The one awesome thing about the Ipad and their electronic books...you turn the page by "swiping" the corner of the Ipad and the page turns...amazing:D The Kindle you press a button...okay but not as awesome as turning a page like a real book!

McScotty...my Kindle will "read" to you...got mine last Christmas! It's a wonderful thing and I'm very glad I did get it..but oldest son is an Apple person all the way. He finally talked me into a Mac computer this year and at this beach this summer he and his wife both had their Ipads..I fell in love with the Ipad ...and is what I want for Christmas:)

I do believe I will still use my Kindle for my book reading and perhaps just use the Ipad as a small convenient computer. The one awesome thing about the Ipad and their electronic books...you turn the page by "swiping" the corner of the Ipad and the page turns...amazing:D The Kindle you press a button...okay but not as awesome as turning a page like a real book!

I'm not a tech junkie but I do like the look of the iPad. I was thinking of buying a little netbook as it would be light for travelling, but that plus a Kindle would pretty much equal the price of an iPad so........ :D

Mind you perhaps the netbook on it's own would also be an alternative to the Kindle, though heavier and not so easy to hold I guess.

I've been following this thread since I'm somewhat interested in getting an eReader. However, I haven't seen answers to some of my questions so thought I'd ask them directly in case one of you experts know the answers.

I'm not much of a TV person so I read quite a bit. I read an average of 3-4 books a week, mostly frivalous fiction. I like John Sandford, Catherine Coulter, James Patterson, Christina Dodd, Beverly Barton, Nora Roberts, etc. I've noticed that most of their novels that are available in paperback are the same price for the digital edition. I've found this on both Amazon and B&N. I can get the paperback or digital for $7.99. However, I can buy the same paperback from Wal-Mart or Target for $5.97. If I'm willing to wait a week or so after the book is released, I can pick it up from Half-Priced Books for $4. Is there a discount site for newly-released digital editions of books? I've noticed that most books available in hardback are about half the price for the digital edition but, again, if I wait a week after release I can get the hardback from Half-Priced Books for half the cover price.

What do you do with your digital edition books when you've finished with them? I don't normally save my books once I read them. I give some of them away to friends or family that I know like a certain author. Most of them end up going to the church to be distributed to charities, like MD Anderson, Ronald McDonald House, or women's shelters. Is there a charity you can donate "used" digital books to? I rarely re-read a book so I can't imagine saving very many. I don't like the thought of them going to waste when I've finished reading them. I like to think that some of my used books are helping give a cancer patient or abused woman some comfort or a brief escape into fiction.

RE: Kindle on the plane

This summer I was using my Kindle for the first time on a flight (happened to be CO). When the FA came through checking for electronic devices in use, I stopped her to ask the question. If I had my wireless disabled, could I continue to read during takeoff? She said that was fine. A few mins. later she came back; & said that after consulting the Capt., she was told that the device had to be turned completely off. As was mentioned earlier....."if it has an on/off switch, it has to be turned OFF".

THAT would be the only negative I've experienced w/ a Kindle.

Then I stand corrected. I did read some techie info about this subject after I posted earlier and someone said I was wrong and the article said only with the wireless on is there enough radiation with an ebook to interfer with airplane navigation (and it is so small that every single person on the plane would have to have a book turned on), but that regulations do say they should be turned off. Evidently flight attendants don't concern themselves because mine on 2 flights never said a word to me and since I had the wireless off I wasn't concerned either. I will turn it off completely on my next flight. Never hurts to admit when you are wrong.

I've been following this thread since I'm somewhat interested in getting an eReader. However, I haven't seen answers to some of my questions so thought I'd ask them directly in case one of you experts know the answers.

I'm not much of a TV person so I read quite a bit. I read an average of 3-4 books a week, mostly frivalous fiction. I like John Sandford, Catherine Coulter, James Patterson, Christina Dodd, Beverly Barton, Nora Roberts, etc. I've noticed that most of their novels that are available in paperback are the same price for the digital edition. I've found this on both Amazon and B&N. I can get the paperback or digital for $7.99. However, I can buy the same paperback from Wal-Mart or Target for $5.97. If I'm willing to wait a week or so after the book is released, I can pick it up from Half-Priced Books for $4. Is there a discount site for newly-released digital editions of books? I've noticed that most books available in hardback are about half the price for the digital edition but, again, if I wait a week after release I can get the hardback from Half-Priced Books for half the cover price.

What do you do with your digital edition books when you've finished with them? I don't normally save my books once I read them. I give some of them away to friends or family that I know like a certain author. Most of them end up going to the church to be distributed to charities, like MD Anderson, Ronald McDonald House, or women's shelters. Is there a charity you can donate "used" digital books to? I rarely re-read a book so I can't imagine saving very many. I don't like the thought of them going to waste when I've finished reading them. I like to think that some of my used books are helping give a cancer patient or abused woman some comfort or a brief escape into fiction.

No, a digital edition is "air". You can't pass it along (well, you can if you have the Nook, and eventually perhaps Kindle will work that way too). But at least not yet, there isn't a way to pass it along to charity, unless you find one that has a Nook. So if you're continuing to feel charitable (and have sources for your gifts), then indeed you need to keep buying the actual paper book.

I live in a very rural area, where there is no bookstore or even a discount source for books (like WalMart or Target). I already have probably 1,000 "real" books in my library that I've not found any home for. So for me, not having the physical book means one less bit of clutter, or one less concern about where to deposit it. I used to sell books on Amazon and half.com, but when the costs of postage went so far up (and Amazon and half.com fees increased dramatically) it no longer became price effective for me to continue to do that.

So all the books now on my Kindle (or in the Amazon archives for me) are just there. I'm happy. :o

Thank you, everyone, for the great feedback. I'm planning to order my Kindle this week. DH maintains that he wants the feel of a "real" book, but maybe he'll come around too.
DH felt that same way when I bought my Kindle. Within a few days after it was delivered, I knew we'd be getting a second one for him. ;)

Which is better - Nook or Kindle? We leave on the 24th and would like to get one before we sail.
I researched on Consumer Reports before I bought. I followed their advice and bought a Kindle. What can I say, we both LOVE it.

I'm not clear if for audio, do you need to purchase an audio book (expensive) or if the technology on the Kindle 'reads' the regular book download?
Some, but not all, books have 'text to audio' enabled. When looking at the Kindle books on Amazon it will note which have this feature. You can also download audio books, just as you would onto a MP3. Our library carries audio books so those are free.

It's not entirely clear to me what the difference is between the $139 Kindle and the $189 Kindle (apart from $50)...
With the less expensive model you download books via wi-fi. You'll need to be at your home network or a hot spot. The more expensive model also has 3G. This means that if there is cell phone coverage you can download books. My Kindle 2 uses 3G, so in ports I was able to easily download while in our cabin. If I'd needed to find a wi-fi hot spot I probably would have needed to take my Kindle ashore and look for one. Since we cruise, we'll go for the one with 3G for DH's Kindle.

Which is better - Nook or Kindle? We leave on the 24th and would like to get one before we sail.

My wife & I both love Kindle. Most Nook owners I've heard comments from also love theirs. I would say, check out available titles at Amazon for Kindle + Barnes & Noble for Nook. We shop at Amazon all the time anyway so may be predisposed to prefer the Amazon site & system. Bottom line, they are both great products & allow you to carry many books with just a few ounces of weight.

.....I quite fancy one! Less than 7 days ' til departure so too late now...

The item weighs very little.... how about using 1 or 2 day shipping which is readily available? I just checked the Amazon Kindle page & they have it in stock so you could get it in 1 or 2 days, depending on what time of day you order. They will clearly show you when to expect delivery as part of the check-out process. Click here to go to the Amazon Kindle page for the Wi-Fi $139 version we have. You'll see a link toward the bottom of that page for the $189 Wi-Fi + 3G version. The books are "instantly" available upon ordering.

It's not entirely clear to me what the difference is between the $139 Kindle and the $189 Kindle (apart from $50)...

The $139 version we chose uses a Wi-Fi signal. We have Wireless in our home + Wi-Fi is available so many places. The $189 version can also connect through the 3G wireless phone network (Sprint I think) which might be easier if you do not have Wi-Fi readily available.

Gosh, I'm pretty tech savy and current - or I thought I was! I can't quite get beyond loving the "feel" of a book in my hands. And my books are filled with notes in the margins, etc.

Might be because my reading is still 95% professional and political. I actually enjoy both! I was a voracious reader of fiction until I went to graduate school in my 50s.

We area two nook family I got mine for Mother's Day and Tom got his for Father's Day. Tom saw how easy it was to read with mine and wanted one himself. I have made a few out of town flights with my nook and the flightt crew have always asked me to turn it of and put it away. I personally think this is rather silly especially since it is in the airplace mode but my guess is it may not be when some one says it is so that is why ALL electronics have to be turned off for take off and landings. May be I am just assuming this is the reason but I would love to here from an actual airline official of what the reason is.

I thought of another "out there" question about eReader devices. Are there any waterproof housings for them (like camera cases)? I know that sounds like a weird question, but when the weather is nice, I like to read in the pool. Most of the time I can get on my floating mat without incident. However, I have occasionally been known to tip over or doze off and drop my book in the pool. It doesn't happen often, but I'd be a liar if I said it has never happened. I can get a paper book dried out enough to finish reading but I have to throw it away when I'm done. Does anyone use their eReaders in or around a pool? How do you protect it?

I have used my Kindle by the pool but would never get into the water with it..for sure it would get dropped:eek:

Also have seen some ads this summer with a couple reading at the beach...we go to the beach a lot and I don't take mine...I seem to get sand in anything and everything...

I must confess I'd never heard of a Kindle! Now that I've 'googled' it, I wish I'd read this post a couple weeks ago as I quite fancy one! Less than 7 days ' til departure so too late now.

A technology website here rates it equal with the Sony but notes for the future it thinks the Kindle etc will die off with the arrival of the iPad - any comments?

Obvious negatives against iPad are price and battery life, any others?

I'm not clear if for audio, do you need to purchase an audio book (expensive) or if the technology on the Kindle 'reads' the regular book download?

You maybe able to get one overnighted the 3g's will be in stock on the 6th.

I do not know what I'm missing here? :confused:but I can listen to music on my kindle. My DH downloaded MP3 music to the kindle. He also downloaded audio books. Just like eveyone else I agree that it's great for waiting in doctors offices etc and for great while traveling. Now I never have to run out of reading material.

A MP3 is not just for music. When you download library books to a MP3, you can add more books or delete books after they have been read. You can change your playlist often and quickly. You don't have to worry about sun, rain, lighting, etc. You can listen to books in total darkness, or while walking, exercising, driving, gardening, doing housework, etc. You can also download music, and pictures, if that is your preference. Our library offers downloadable books for free. Thus, you don't have the expense of buying books for a Kindle. A MP3 is less expensive than a Kindle, and an MP3 is much smaller.

The library adds new books all the time. You can search by fiction, non fiction, classics, myteries etc. You can search by title or author.

Listening to books on a MP3 gives you much more veratility than reading a book.

I realize not every library has the downloadable books available. If your library does offer downloabable books, it is a way to enjoy reading while doing many activities and saving money. I was trying to let folks know there is an alternative to the Kindle. I'm not trying to change anybody's mind.

I must confess I'd never heard of a Kindle! Now that I've 'googled' it, I wish I'd read this post a couple weeks ago as I quite fancy one! Less than 7 days ' til departure so too late now.....

Just noted that you live in Scotland.... As you may know, Amazon.UK also has the kindle... click here. Maybe they can also get it to you before your trip. We also have retail stores in the US selling the kindle including Target & Best Buy. :)

I thought of another "out there" question about eReader devices. Are there any waterproof housings for them (like camera cases)? I know that sounds like a weird question, but when the weather is nice, I like to read in the pool. Most of the time I can get on my floating mat without incident. However, I have occasionally been known to tip over or doze off and drop my book in the pool. It doesn't happen often, but I'd be a liar if I said it has never happened. I can get a paper book dried out enough to finish reading but I have to throw it away when I'm done. Does anyone use their eReaders in or around a pool? How do you protect it?

I think I've seen a website with water resistant covers for both Nooks and Kindles. Try Googling something like "waterproof cover Kindle" or something like that.

.....Are there any waterproof housings for them (like camera cases)?.....

See below.

I think I've seen a website with water resistant covers for both Nooks and Kindles. Try Googling something like "waterproof cover Kindle" or something like that.

Good idea.

Not a pretty solution, but a ziploc plastic bag would work for a water/sand proof protector.

Might work in a pinch!

Click here to see 1 waterproof cover sold at Amazon. I noticed there are 38 reviews you can link to at the top of the item's page. If you don't like that, try the Google search for simply "Waterproof Kindle". Just a shortened version of what sparky-elapso already suggested.:)

Gosh, I'm pretty tech savy and current - or I thought I was! I can't quite get beyond loving the "feel" of a book in my hands. And my books are filled with notes in the margins, etc.

Might be because my reading is still 95% professional and political. I actually enjoy both! I was a voracious reader of fiction until I went to graduate school in my 50s.

I have always had the same feeling as you regarding writing notes etc ... that was why I did not buy a Kindle when it first came out. However, I found out early this year that I can make footnotes anywhere and they are saved and marked in the book(s). Further, i can go back and actually view them in a separate file and edit them as well.

This turned out to be quite cool for me as I was reading books on Geo Washiington, Abe Lincoln and Thomas jefferson .. was able to make footnotes in each, underline and save certain quotes .. and then later, go back and view them in a separate file even.

I love my Kindle and we take about 4 cruises a year, so it has replaced my lugging books with me and spending (frustrating) time in the ship library hoping them have something I have not read that would interest me.

harry

Does anyone know if the lighted cover is worth buying ? I am developing cataracts and find it hard to read in dim light. Expensive little thing so need some opinions before I buy! Thanks!

Click here to see hundreds of (mostly positive) user reviews at Amazon for this pricey little lighted cover! Note that Amazon also offers this cover in various colors. You might also do a Google search for both "Kindle light" and "Kindle lighted cover" to find other options. :)

I don't have a Kindle but have been very interested in buying one. Is it much easier to read with the new larger screen?

I don't know, as I have an old Kindle..but you do know that on all the Kindles it is very easy to change the size of the font, or even turn the pages "sideways" (landscape), if that is easier to read for you.

I have my Nook in a silcone cover (covers back & sides) and then put that in a zippered cover. I got the zippered cover at Best Buy. They had them for both Nooks and Kindles.

I intended the zippered cover just for travel, but found the Nook can be easily used when in both covers.

I also don't know what the difference is between those and the $300 one.

Click here & scroll down a bit to see the complete Kindle Comparison info. The two most popular versions are the $139 & $189. As explained a few posts before this one, the difference (other than $50) is that the $139 uses Wi-Fi to connect & download books. The $189 model has both Wi-Fi and 3G capability that connects through the Wireless telephone system. If you currently have access to wireless internet, you will probably be happy with the $139 model which is what my wife has because we have Wi-Fi at home. The new $139 Kindle has a very high contrast black on white screen that is VERY easy to read. As others have mentioned, you can adjust the font size to your liking. :)

Edit: You can also click here to read tons of actual Kindle user reviews..... mostly positive.

Archived