New York Post article on QM2

bobnatt

Saw it in the Post this morning.

Talk about an over reaction by the ship.

It should not have even been addressed by the ship personnel.

I can't wait for the lawsuit.

It was a few words and that was it.

If somebody was going to be tossed in my opinion it should have been the other guy.

Besides , profanity is a native language to a New Yorker.

Gramps

Oh dear It is distressing when soemthing like this happens. I assume given the social status of the people concerned that the incident happened in the Queens Grill.and is not behaviour one would expect in tht local.

The acticle does not say if anything was done with respect to the other person invloved,though clearly it is "six of one and half dozen of the other"

Conversation at the table should never involve race,religion,sex or politics.

There are those (yes even on these boards) who think that insulting others is "amusing". All one can do is to try to avoid these people and accept the fact that they lack the education to realise the error of their ways.

"Remote port in Quebec"? Geesh

Babette - Quebec is not in the US of A. Therefore to a lot of your countrymen it is incredibly remote. It is in a foreign country and therefore somewhere to be scared of :eek:

(I'm choosing to ignore the fact that the main port of Quebec is Quebec City and that is where the ship is likely to have been. ;) )

The acticle does not say if anything was done with respect to the other person invloved,though clearly it is "six of one and half dozen of the other"

Exactly. The other "person" should follow the couple OFF the ship.

5 weeks for $20,000? The article says they were in a suite. Sorry, but one cannot do 5 weeks in either Princess or Queens Grill for $20,000, let alone an inside cabin. They were at the start of their voyage. If they WERE doing 5 weeks.. it would have been the Canada/New England sailing, the eb ta, the 12 Med, followed by the wb ta on Oct 1st.

Removal from a sailing, follows 3 warnings. It's in the manual.

I wonder what would have been the outcome had the lady not replied to the person at her table but complained, strongly, to one of the senior officers of a very serious racial insult? And insisted that the matter be fully investigated. May it have resulted in the other passenger being confined to their cabin?

Whilst we might not like everyone we meet in life and find some individual personalities are not to our taste, abuse of any group/individual because of their age, sex, race, sexual orientation or disability is not something that should ever be ignored, tolerated or excused. Thankfully it is not something I have ever witnessed on a Cunard ship. Or ever want to.

Perhaps that's why we were held up in Quebec?

It does seem a bit of an odd story though, especially the reference to 'Sir' and 'Lady' by the Cunard spokesperson.

I didn't hear anything of it nor do the couple look familiar but then there were a lot of people onboard.;) ADditionally, I can see that there may be a ready witness for the couple but how did the newspaper find a witness to confirm her disruptive behaviour?

I can say though that there was a Rabbi aboard and a celebration for Rosh Hashanah, so had it been a religious (rather than ethnic) slur, I am sure there were enough people to help ease the situation for this lady.

I agree with Peppern's view re the outcome of the situation, had it been handled differently.

Hiya Bob, where ya been? How's your health these days, better I hope.

Nice to hear from you.

Gari

Hi Gari,

yes I have been off the site for quite a while. Been incredibly busy with work...health is great.

Been doing land vacations this past year and perhaps next year will restart my cruise vacations.

Bob

To me, reference to "A remote Quebec port" sounds like an insult to my intelligence. Quebec actually does have some remote ports visited by cruise ships (La Baie and Chicoutimi come to mind, visited by some cruise ships but I don't think QM2 does, or even could go there due to low power lines). My sense from the 9/3 roll call was that Quebec City was the only port in Quebec on that cruise, hardly remote. Even if it was a remote port, I'd expect a respectable news agency to name it, with google maps people could easily find it. I just don't find the Post article trustworthy.

Roy

My wife and I heard her obscene rant in the Queens Grill Lounge about not being allowed to play the piano. Based on that alone we support the Commodore's decision. BTW, I believe they were in the Queen Mary suite on Deck 10; there are worse places in which to be confined.

Besides , profanity is a native language to a New Yorker.

Gramps

Babette - Quebec is not in the US of A. Therefore to a lot of your countrymen it is incredibly remote. It is in a foreign country and therefore somewhere to be scared of :eek:

;) )

Since when did the New York Post transform itself from a tabloid to a serious newspaper? If people believe what they read in the National Enquirer than this deserves the serious attention it is getting.

Rolfecms, I agree.

But is there not a certain irony in a discussion about an alleged insultingly bias comment on board that elicits remarks here that could also be considered sterotypically biased? But of course, those posts were no doubt meant as humor (or humour).

Salacia

My wife and I heard her obscene rant in the Queens Grill Lounge about not being allowed to play the piano. Based on that alone we support the Commodore's decision. BTW, I believe they were in the Queen Mary suite on Deck 10; there are worse places in which to be confined.

Hmmmmmmmmmm... Think I'll enquire of our friends who inhabited the Queen Elizabth and Balmoral suites!

Hmmmmmmmmmm... Think I'll enquire of our friends who inhabited the Queen Elizabth and Balmoral suites!

I've just heard from a friend who was on the ship. To summarise his post the woman had been a very disruptive influence on the ship sever since sailing. I believe that she had been warned repeatedly before she was confined to her cabin!

WOW! Quite a story, I know it's the New York Post and they tend to add some drama to their stories but if this story is true. That's a big (if) the Captain is the Captain and that's the bottom line. I would have tossed them too.

As an airline Captain if I have passengers who shout F-- Y-- in the cabin they are going to be removed just like theses two.

We will be on the OM2 next week, I sure hope we don't see any kind of this behavior.

Only in QG. :eek:

(Note to Salacia: IT'S A JOKE!!!) :cool:

I wonder what would have been the outcome had the lady not replied to the person at her table but complained, strongly, to one of the senior officers of a very serious racial insult? And insisted that the matter be fully investigated. May it have resulted in the other passenger being confined to their cabin?

Whilst we might not like everyone we meet in life and find some individual personalities are not to our taste, abuse of any group/individual because of their age, sex, race, sexual orientation or disability is not something that should ever be ignored, tolerated or excused. Thankfully it is not something I have ever witnessed on a Cunard ship. Or ever want to.

We have only one side of the story, in a tabloid version.

It would be wrong to make too much of this - one has no idea what was originally said, or whether it was meant as insulting.

Needless to say, if it was, you're spot on. Like you, I have never seen it on a Cunarder either. Far from it, to be honest.

I'd like to weigh in. It's tough to know the true story based on one article. But I know what it's like to be master of a ship because I was a master of several ships, none of which had passengers.

I have had the pleasure of meeting Commodore Warner, chatting with him once, and I have observed his professionalism at sea.

One thing about masters of ships, especially masters on high visibility ships: They don't get there by making mistakes. Whatever it was that Commodore Warner did, he had the law of the sea with regard to embarked passengers to back him up, plus whatever the Cunard policy was that covered it.

I had a cook quit on me once at sea and he went on a hunger strike. I confined him to his room and posted a crew member outside his room until we reached port and the Coast Guard took him off. Was I right to do this? Yes, because one does not know what a person like that might do - like roam the passageways with an axe. People are strange, and masters of ships know they are strange. Master do what they have to do: they ensure the safety of the ship and all aboard.

Shame on the passengers who disrupt good people. Shame on the language used. All the good money spent, all the excitement of being on a grand ship, all the fun - shattered by an incident like this. I know everybody recovered and enjoyed themselves, but it must have been embarrassing. Some people, no matter their material wealth and age, have simply "missed the boat."

By the way, hi Babette and Lynn!

Jon.

Very sensible. I wasn't there, but heard about it very soon after and there was rather more involved than just one incident, and there was also some physical abuse too, instigated, I understand, by this "Lady". It continued for a few days, until Quebec. I imagine the Captain was involved as he knows this couple, and because it was such an unusual thing to happen on a Cunard ship.

It was not only in the NY Post, but it was just a feature on the CBS 2 evening news. Only the couple put off the cruise was interviewed, in their apartment. While the newscast seemed to take their side of the story, the woman's language had to be bleeped twice.

The newscaster said that they tried to contact the cruise line, but received no response.

I came here to get the real story.

A local TV news station in NY (CBS) just aired a segment on this incident. Pretty much a rehash of the NY Post article. The couple in question gave their side of the story, but no opposing views were included. Seems to me that only one side of this story is being heard---and that makes me wonder why reporters are not more thoroughly investigating the incident before reporting on it.

oops sorry, NJ cruiserman already posted this info

A local TV news station in NY (CBS) just aired a segment on this incident. Pretty much a rehash of the NY Post article. The couple in question gave their side of the story, but no opposing views were included. Seems to me that only one side of this story is being heard---and that makes me wonder why reporters are not more thoroughly investigating the incident before reporting on it.

oops sorry, NJ cruiserman already posted this info

But it doesn't make a good news story if they investigate both sides.

Archived