"kicked out" of the disco for being under age

~earthmama~

Here is kind of an odd story from our cruise.

One night after dinner my DH, two BILs and a SIL were walking the ship and looking for an indoor place we could sit and chat. (we were trying to get away from the AWFUL lounge singer turned up WAY too loud in the open area by the bars) First we noticed Cat's Lounge was open but empty and went in and sat down there. DH got a drink (the rest of us had a dod already) and a few minutes later the bartender came over to see if we needed anything. BIL said "not yet, we were just looking for a quiet place to have a drink and chat". He says "ok cool" and goes and turns the music up LOUD.

So we leave and wander into the empty disco. We sit there about 15 minutes before a security officer came up holding a sign and said "The disco is about to open and you have to be 18, are you 18?" We laughed (the youngest is 27) and said "yes of course". Then the guy says "well I need to see ID, I need proof you are 18" Now I am 39 and have never been asked for ID on a ship, it lives in the safe. At this point my BIL says "ok sir I am 27 and my ID is in the room where it belongs we'll just leave" the security dude says "Well YEAH you have to" BIL says "fine".

So we get up to leave and the dude follows us out going "wait wait"

LOL WTH? I may not look my age but I don't look under 18!

Ha ha ha ha too funny! On the Imagination a few days ago, I was walking into the disco one night and one of the security guys at the door stopped me and asked if I was at least 18. I'm 30 and I know I don't look that young!

If you had your s&s card with you, that would tell whether you are of age or not. Youth cannot buy alcohol so the bartenders know who is underage. They card you going into the club so why wouldn't they check your id if you were already present in the club before they opened? You shouldn't have to show your drivers license just your S&S card.

seems odd to me as well. since they do not police the smokers very well I think this was one guy being on a power trip and not something carnival is looking to do frequently. sometimes they let things slide because they want you to have a good time - this is an example of a policy enforcement that has little up side for the cruise line if the people kicked out are obviously over 18.

If I am out at a sporting event, restaurant, or pub and asked for ID I won't show it. I don't look anywhere close to 21 and in fact have three children that are over 21 (32, 29, 23). I understand they are doing their jobs, but I refuse to play the corporate lawyer game. I don't give them a hard time about it. They always have served me.

So we get up to leave and the dude follows us out going "wait wait"

LOL WTH? I may not look my age but I don't look under 18!

I wonder if he was trying - unsuccessfully - to joke around with you and the "wait wait" was to try and tell you he was kidding.

Lot of mis-information here.......S&S cards do not have any indication that you are underage just by looking at them. (I just relooked at my oldest daughter's 8 S&S cards and my youngest daughter's 7 S&S cards.)

Now if the card is run through the payment system, then they can tell that they are not allowed to buy alcohol.

Because of this, it is the reason the Security Officer was asking for an ID card.

Dave

Lot of mis-information here.......S&S cards do not have any indication that you are underage just by looking at them. (I just relooked at my oldest daughter's 8 S&S cards and my youngest daughter's 7 S&S cards.)

Now if the card is run through the payment system, then they can tell that they are not allowed to buy alcohol.

Because of this, it is the reason the Security Officer was asking for an ID card.

Dave

Perhaps because your children are so young, and it is pretty obvious they are not of legal age.

I can tell you that when my daughters were teenagers, their cards were color-coded for underage.

Perhaps because your children are so young, and it is pretty obvious they are not of legal age.

I can tell you that when my daughters were teenagers, their cards were color-coded for underage.

Ours for an 18 and 21 yr old were the same color. :confused:

Carnival has never had a color-coded card for those under 18 in the six years that I have cruising. My daughters are 15 and 9.

S&S cards for ALL passengers are

Blue-1st time cruiser

Gold-2 through 9 cruises

Platinum- 10 through 24 cruises

White- 25 cruises or more

Now about 1 year or so ago, they did try and go to a white card for everyone with just the color of the wave to indicate the number of cruises but it caused such an uproar that it was changed.

Dave

Seems like every venue that serves alcohol cards EVERYBODY these days, regardless of how old they look. I guess it's just corporate policy. No big deal. Show them the ID. Problem solved.

At a certain point it becomes quite rude. I am in my mid 60's and it is completely absurd to ask me for an id to prove that I am 21. I refuse. Maybe I just have a thing about it. I don't make a big deal but it seems to me that it is creating a world of complete idiots who can't use their heads. Like having a calculator and reaching for it to add 2+3. Or immediately reaching to text message someone when they are standing 5 ft away. I can understand the "we card under 40"- but by the time you are approaching old age you shouldn't be asked to prove your age, unless you are hoping for a senior discount.

All S&S cards designate whether a passenger is underage. I have never seen them ask for ID other than that, nor would they.

This seems like quite an odd story.

Like others have said the S&S has to be ran through the ships payment system to proof age. Our past cruises we have seen the security officers checking picture IDs of anyone who looked under 21.

Here is Carnivals policy from the FAQs:

Drinking Alcohol On Board:

The minimum age for the purchase and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages in the bars, lounges and gift shops is 21 years of age. In the event that Bar/Restaurant/Gift Shop staff are in question that a guest is less than 21 years old, they shall request picture identification, prior to serving the drink or selling the bottle of liquor.

If I am out at a sporting event, restaurant, or pub and asked for ID I won't show it. I don't look anywhere close to 21 and in fact have three children that are over 21 (32, 29, 23). I understand they are doing their jobs, but I refuse to play the corporate lawyer game. I don't give them a hard time about it. They always have served me.

It's more than the employee just doing their job,,the establishment can lose their licence to sell alcohol. It's actually the law in some states to show ID regardless of age or how old you may look. Indiana is one example. You must show ID at stores and restaurants in order to purchase alcohol -PERIOD- No Exceptions.

Florida could possibly be another example. In August, I was at Tampa Airport waiting for my return flight and ordered nachos and a Tequila at the bar. I got carded too and I'm way over 21. I felt pretty good about it until an older gray- haired gentleman sat down next to me and was carded as well. He put up a fuss and the bartender told him, either show me your ID or I will not serve you. He reluctantly pulled out his ID. She too explained to him that she could lose her job for failure to do so.

It's really not that big a deal. Whether it's the law or not, they have a reason for requesting ID so just do it and move on. Life's too short. :)

Florida could possibly be another example.

Nope. Must have just been the establishment that you were in. NEVER get carded down here and I am in my mid 30s. Really upset me one night when I went out with a group of friends from my masters' program. They are all in their mid 20s and the waitress went all the way around the table and carded everyone until she got to me. She looked at me and said, "nope...don't need yours." :( It's bad enough that I feel old hanging out with these people...she didn't have to make me feel even older! LOL

The reason they ask for photo ID is because if someone is underage and they have a relative's S&S card then they could use the card to buy drinks & the bar staff would swipe the card and see that the person is old enough to be served. It happened on the Freedom, one 19 yr old was using his dad's card, he showed ID proving he was 18 to get in, but then used his dad's card to get alcohol. Eventually he got challenged about it and he was arguing saying he was his father... and security said "you're 42..?"

I wonder why the "you must be 18" for the disco anyway...it can't have anything to do with alcohol since that would be 21.

I would say it is more about protecting the young girls from the dirty old men and the young boys from the Cougars. :cool:

Dave

Archived