Internet Question

Does anyone have the current price for internet usage on board? My son needs to finish a final for his online classes as well as keep up with his homework. He's thinking about bringing aboard his laptop to finish up his work. We're going to be aboard the Mariner of the Seas on the 10th! Thanks so much!:)

It is 65 cents a minute now, but you can buy packages that save you a little bit of money. Unfortunately, my experience with the onboard internet is that it is extremely slow and so those minutes add up quickly. I wouldn't use it to surf around looking for information; try to get most of that done ahead of time.

If you put 'internet Mariner' in the search window, a lot of threads will come up.

From a Sept 21 review of Mariner: "Internet: so slowwwwwwwwwwwww...they need to upgrade their bandwidth....and realize that everyone is mobile these days"

Also: "It runs slower than a cold bottle of molasses - and that's pretty darned slow.

Next time I'm just going to leave the computer at home, because believe me - all you'll be carrying with you is a paperweight. It's not worth the hassle."

From RCCL's website under Customer Service > FAQ > Life Onboard > Is internet access available from the ship?:

Wireless Internet Access (Wi-Fi)

There will be six designated *"Hot Spots" which vary from ship to ship.

To use our WI-FI access, you'll need:

A laptop

Windows operating system

802.11b Wireless networking capability

The cost for Wi-Fi access through your own laptop is:

Base rate is $.65 per minute or choose from one of our prepaid packages:

$35 for 60 minutes

$55 for 100 minutes

$75 for 150 minutes

$100 for 250 minutes

$150 for 500 minutes

All prices are subject to change without notice.

Prices are the same for the internet cafe.

We just returned from a 14 night Transatlantic and our cabin was on deck 7 on the hump, right near one of the internet stations. My DH discovered that if you used it between 7 and 9 am it was 44¢ per minute. So even if you bought a bundle it would use up your amount a little slower.

BTW, there were always people there at 7 am, waiting for the ship's clock to tick over and the lower rate to kick in.

Ship internet is very slow. It's really not meant for browsing or doing some serious work. It's okay for checking and sending e-mails but unless you have an unlimited budget, I would have your son go to any internet cafe during your port stops. High speed and very inexpensive.

We just returned from a 14 night Transatlantic and our cabin was on deck 7 on the hump, right near one of the internet stations. My DH discovered that if you used it between 7 and 9 am it was 44¢ per minute. So even if you bought a bundle it would use up your amount a little slower.

BTW, there were always people there at 7 am, waiting for the ship's clock to tick over and the lower rate to kick in.

What ship was this??? I have never known a Royal Carib. ship to have differents charges for different times.

Yep, it was on the Jewel of the Seas. There was just a little sign near the computers. It was not listed in the Compass or anything like that.

Yep, I discovered it one morning after breakfast. Took advantage of it after that, if I was up.:D

Archived