Oslo or Copenhagen for pre-cruise?

We're booked on a Baltics cruise out of Copenhagen next September (2011), and plan to get across the Atlantic to somewhere in Northern Europe several days in advance of sailing, to allow for delays, volcanoes, jet lag, etc. We've heard that you don't need many days to see Copenhagen, and that it is quite expensive. We're doing a back-to-back cruise that gives us another full day to see Copenhagen in the middle, before the Atlantic crossing.

So I'm thinking of going to Oslo first, as Norway is my other half's "roots" and the one Scandic country not on the cruise itinerary. (Never been.) I thought a few days there might work out cheaper than a bunch of days in Copenhagen, but my initial foray into hotel pricing makes Oslo look like it might be even more expensive. I would like to make a side trip south to Frederkstad, which might have better rates than in Oslo city. I do need to stretch my dollars.

Any recommendations? :confused:

Oslo is just about the most expensive city in Europe - I believe only Moscow has it beat. Both Copenhagen and Oslo are great cities in which to spend a few days - we are going back to Copenhagen for 4 days precruise in June - it is an easy area to travel around, with great day trips outside the city.

So I'm thinking of going to Oslo first, as Norway is my other half's "roots" and the one Scandic country not on the cruise itinerary. (Never been.)

I also agree that Norway is expensive and not just Oslo. But since this is part of your 'roots' trip, would you really want to forgo this opportunity to see at least part of it, just because it is expensive?

Rather than spending your extra days in Copenhagen, take the ferry across and see where your Viking blood originated.

Lykke til, og ha det moro.

We're booked on a Baltics cruise out of Copenhagen next September (2011), and plan to get across the Atlantic to somewhere in Northern Europe several days in advance of sailing, to allow for delays, volcanoes, jet lag, etc. We've heard that you don't need many days to see Copenhagen, and that it is quite expensive. We're doing a back-to-back cruise that gives us another full day to see Copenhagen in the middle, before the Atlantic crossing.

So I'm thinking of going to Oslo first, as Norway is my other half's "roots" and the one Scandic country not on the cruise itinerary. (Never been.) I thought a few days there might work out cheaper than a bunch of days in Copenhagen, but my initial foray into hotel pricing makes Oslo look like it might be even more expensive. I would like to make a side trip south to Frederkstad, which might have better rates than in Oslo city. I do need to stretch my dollars.

Any recommendations? :confused:

have been to oslo and other parts of norway would recomed a must ,we love norway,yes it is very expensive. copenhagen is very nice but give me norway any day. remember this is only my opinion.

We spent 2 nights in Oslo before flying to Longyearbyen for a 7-night Arctic cruise in June. We spent 4 nights in Copenhagen post-cruise before flying home. We loved them both, but agreed that Oslo was the one we would revisit first even though we spent only half as much time there. Maybe that plays into it since we did not get to explore as fully.

As to the comments about expense, they are correct. Oslo and Copenhagen are both very expensive, but we beat the hotel expense in Copenhagen by using Marriott points. For Oslo, we found a great deal through Thon Hotels at their Panorama - great location, excellent breakfast, and an unbeatable price.

Enjoy whichever you choose, or visit both!

Being Norwegian, living in Oslo, I would of course recommend Oslo! It can be expensive, but with good planning it's not too bad. If you stay in a normal hotel with a late buffet breakfast, you can skip lunch! There are Pizza Huts, McDonalds and Hard Rock Cafe where you also can eat reasonably cheap. If you don't have a particular interest in Fredrikstad, you should stay in Oslo. From Oslo to Copenhagen you can go by bus (cheapest), train, plane or boat (most expensive). Welcome to Oslo!

Screwcork

And if you don't want to defer to the American fast food to save money, I would consider self-catering. If the weather is decent, you can buy a one-time-use grill at any supermarket and pick up some pølse (hot dogs) and lompe (flatbread) for an impromptu picnic in one of the city's parks. [Last summer, we were grilling near Vigelands Park and a group of tourists stopped to ask us if there was a café nearby. We suggested that they head to a nearby supermarket instead, and they took the advice and had a great little picnic.]

A sandwich from a corner shop like Deli de Luca can be a little more exciting than Burger King, and for sit-down dining, the cheapest options are generally ethnic cuisine. There are some great inexpensive restaurants serving Thai and Indian food. [The Indian restaurant in the historic east hall of the train station is astonishingly good given the price and location.]

Unfortunately hotels are unavoidably expensive. There are some basic 2-star hotels, pensions, and bed & breakfasts that offer rooms in the $150-200 range. There are also a number of local chains like Thon, Scandic, P-Hotels, etc. that may not show up in the worldwide hotel searches.

Getting around is also expensive, though the public transportation is excellent. If you plan to do a lot of sightseeing, the OsloPass (which covers public transportation and most admission fees) can save you a bit.

And if you don't want to defer to the American fast food to save money, I would consider self-catering. If the weather is decent, you can buy a one-time-use grill at any supermarket and pick up some pølse (hot dogs) and lompe (flatbread) for an impromptu picnic in one of the city's parks. [Last summer, we were grilling near Vigelands Park and a group of tourists stopped to ask us if there was a café nearby. We suggested that they head to a nearby supermarket instead, and they took the advice and had a great little picnic.]

A sandwich from a corner shop like Deli de Luca can be a little more exciting than Burger King, and for sit-down dining, the cheapest options are generally ethnic cuisine. There are some great inexpensive restaurants serving Thai and Indian food. [The Indian restaurant in the historic east hall of the train station is astonishingly good given the price and location.]

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I think we'll commit to Oslo and perhaps a little more of Norway before the cruise. And the last place you'll find us is in an American fast food joint! :eek: I may have to learn to like pickled herring if that's what it takes to avoid McDonald's and the like.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I think we'll commit to Oslo and perhaps a little more of Norway before the cruise. And the last place you'll find us is in an American fast food joint! :eek: I may have to learn to like pickled herring if that's what it takes to avoid McDonald's and the like.

We ate on the waterfront the first day for a late lunch. They are served in the shell (heads on) with lemon, mayonaise (for dipping), and a baguette. Add a nice beer and you have a first class lunch for a pretty reasonable (for Oslo) price. The warm steak salad was also excellent. I think the place we ate was Albertini's.

One pizza place I recommend is Pepe's. One location across from the central station on Karl Johann's. Was it cheap? No, but it always seemed crowded for dinner and the food was terrific.

Archived