Petra trip

Hi all you experts, We are booked on a red sea magic cruise next february, and would really like to see petra but we both have problems with walking any serious distance. So we would like to take a carriage ride both into petra and back. Has anyone done this, and if so how much, and do you have any tips.

Thanks in advance.

We did the Petra excursion a couple of years ago and it was amazing. You are right about the distance though. It is at least a mile from the entrance to the 'treasury' building and then there is probably another mile to walk to see the rest of the site. The walk is along fairly uneven ground too. It is down hill to get to Petra but, of course, you have to reverse your walk to get back and I found that part of our visit very tough as it was extremely hot and there was not much shade. There are plenty of horse drawn buggies, donkeys and even camels for hire for the journeys. People were haggling prices so I can't help you with the cost. Maybe the tour guide will be able to help you with that part. I have to say that the buggy ride looked rather hazardous as the buggies seemed to go very fast but, if you find walking a problem then it would be a shame to miss Petra. Take a deep breath and go for it!!!

We loved the Red Sea cruise. I hope you enjoy it too.

Petra is the must see trip of that cruise. Thomson will reccomend that you do not use either the donkeys or the traps. Probably due to liability if anythging goes wrong but also how the animals are treated. We went last February and it was very pleasant ,not too hot and the week before it snowed and the week after, the trip was cancelled due to fog so you never can know! We didnt think the walk down to the Treasury was as bad underfoot as some people say and if you want to take your time and not walk with the guide that is fine, it is not a rushed day ,unlike Cairo and the Pyramids.Enjoy the experience.:):):)

I think they were asking something like £20 To £25 for the trip back up the hill, but if you have trouble walking you may have to bite the bullet and pay. we took our time and eventually left the guide, and did not do the last bit, in order to take it slowly coming back. Beware if you ride the buggies they have very little suspension and i think it would have killed my bad back. It was making it ache just watching them go over the bumps and cobbles.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived