Hawaii to Vancouver sea days

Semi Retired

Don't know if this helps but we just got off the Carnival Spirit last week and had 5 days at sea from Vancouver to Hawaii starting September 14. The first 3 days at sea, I didn't even go outside. To me, it was very cold (I live in the south and I am used to 90-100 degree weather that time of year). The captain said it was in the mid 60s and those days were always cloudy and very windy. Once we reached the equator on the 3rd day around 3pm, it drastically got warmer. For you though, it will be the opposite since you are doing it vice-versa. However, I don't know Canada's weather during April and if it is comparable to September.

Since I'm from Vancouver, I know the days are a tad warmer coming back in April-May, but the concern is the type of sea it will be. I've been on an Alaska trip in Sept and came across rough seas, which doesn't bother me, but the others might.

When I asked for people's opinions on what the sea days would be like for September, I mainly got that it can vary. They really weren't that bad for crossing the Pacific. The first day was the worst (even though I still think it wasn't bad). It was just VERY windy and cloudy and rained a bit that day and the ocean probably had 6-8 ft waves. But the conditions kept getting better each day. I am prone to sea sickness and only took medicine the first two days. The ship had great stabalizers. Second day, still windy but cleared up and third day, windy and starting to get warmer. Fourth and fifth day...BEAUTIFUL - it was like sailing on glass. Maybe check back in April when the Carnival Spirit is going on another round to Hawaii and see if anyone can offer advice or talk to people going on other cruise lines who are doing the transpacific crossings to/from Hawaii.

I am curious about the cruise going up the coastal pacific to Vancouver, which could be different that going across to California. I have done a coastal down to San Fransico in September, but I'm sure it could be different going up in end April/beginning May. Also, does the ship go diagnally towards Vancouver, or go across the the coastal and then up.

I honestly couldn't tell you. By the time the ship was leaving Vancouver and sailing through the barrier islands, we weren't taking much notice which way the ship was headed. Of course, it could always be different since ours was with Carnival and yours is with Royal Caribbean. If you call RCI they may be able to tell you which way the ship is sailing into Vancouver.

But if you are talking about how the ship headed toward Hawaii...it went completely diagonal to the US. I am pretty sure that is what most cruise lines do.

When we left Vancouver, the first day out was wet, windy and chilly. The next day was just chilly.....

Then the following day was TROPICAL!

The sail on the Pacific was so smooth - like the proverbial glass. We were on the RCI Rhapsody of the Sea. Lovely time and lots to do during those sea days. Seemed to me that there was something for everyone: lectures, culinary demonstrations, pool parties & games, dance lessons, movies, and of course bingo. But the bingo wasn't pushed down your throat!

Of course, that may be different in the spring, and weather can change from day-to-day. We were extremely fortunate our entire cruise about the weather - not even rainy in the rainy sides of Hawaii!

We have cruised between Vancouver and Hawaii 4 times (from Vanc 3 times and once from Hawaii). Unless the itinerary calls for a stop on the west coast such as LA or San Francisco you won't generally sail up or down the coast but will be on more of a diagonal. Temperatures normally in the 60's and 70's within a day or two of Vancouver. Perhaps we've been fortunate but we have only experienced smooth seas and sunshine.:)

We headed from Hawaii to Vancouver on the Carnival Spirit in April, and I can tell you that it was basically a straight line between the two locations. I stuck my GPS outside and recorded the tracks for the entire trip, so I can say authoritatively that we went on a diagonal track directly from Point A to Point B.

Our first couple days were rough, and the third day the ocean was like glass. Obviously it got colder the closer we got to Vancouver. The first two days, the top deck was closed due to high winds; it was open the third day and most of the remainder of the trip.

Don't know if this helps but we just got off the Carnival Spirit last week and had 5 days at sea from Vancouver to Hawaii starting September 14. The first 3 days at sea, I didn't even go outside. To me, it was very cold (I live in the south and I am used to 90-100 degree weather that time of year). The captain said it was in the mid 60s and those days were always cloudy and very windy. Once we reached the equator on the 3rd day around 3pm, it drastically got warmer. For you though, it will be the opposite since you are doing it vice-versa. However, I don't know Canada's weather during April and if it is comparable to September.

I'm sorry to be picky, but going from Vancouver to Hawaii, the ship does not reach the equator. Hawaii is in the tropics north of the equator. I suspect that once you reached the sub-tropics, say latitudes roughly equivalent to the Baja region of the west coast, the weather warmed significantly.

Semi Retired:

You will probably have nice warm weather the first 2 to 3 days out of Hawaii. It will get cooler to coldish the further north you go. April in Vancouver is beautiful, but not very warm.

beachchick

I'm sorry to be picky, but going from Vancouver to Hawaii, the ship does not reach the equator. Hawaii is in the tropics north of the equator. I suspect that once you reached the sub-tropics, say latitudes roughly equivalent to the Baja region of the west coast, the weather warmed significantly.

Semi Retired:

You will probably have nice warm weather the first 2 to 3 days out of Hawaii. It will get cooler to coldish the further north you go. April in Vancouver is beautiful, but not very warm.

beachchick

Ok well then it must have been the mistake of a passenger who told me as I was napping at the time of the announcement. Supposedly the captain said we crossed something at 3:00pm.

Ok well then it must have been the mistake of a passenger who told me as I was napping at the time of the announcement. Supposedly the captain said we crossed something at 3:00pm.

Yep. I'm sure the other passenger misunderstood. You absolutely do not get to the equator when cruising from Vancouver to Hawaii unless the ship continues far, far past Hawaii and doubles back because Hawaii is at somewhere around 22 to 20 degrees north latitude in the north part of the Tropic of Cancer. The Hawaiian Island chain is somewhat spread out, so it depends on which island is referenced. It's certainly possible that the captain announced when you hit the Tropic of Cancer at about 24 degrees north latitude. (I know that's not exact, but it's somewhere in the region of 24 degrees.)

beachchick

It was the International date Line

Archived