Cruising out of New Orleans on the Spirit

conniejb

We've never packed 2 suitcases per person. One and a carry-on is all you should probably need. We have had to buy an extra bag in the gift shop to bring back trinkets for the people back home. We learned to pack a fold up bag in our main bag to bring back "stuff". Your arms & back will love you if you keep your luggage to a minimum.:) You will LOVE the Spirit!

No, NCL doesn't enforce the 2 bags per person rule... They suggest it mainly to match the airlines in the travel hospitality industry...

Having said that, two 50 pound bags per person is more than enough for most of us which can easily do with one 50 pound bag and possibly a 25 pound carry-on.

I can get by with just a 25 pound carry-on... If you pack clothes that mix and match well, and don't exert yourself on the cruise, many of your clothes can be used for a second day. If necessary do a spot wash to freshen your clothes using the bath room sink and shower clothesline...

I detest lugging all that weight around, especially through an airport... Have you ever seen the film Up in the Air?

When you arrive at the pier facility, there will be porters roaming all over the place helping people with bags from their cars and as they walk up from nearby hotels. There's no way the porters keep track of any specific number of bags per person. They will take your bags one direction and you'll take your paperwork inside to start checking in. Your bags will meet you later on board. There's no point in the process where they match quantity of people to quantity of bags, really.

There's not strict on the suitcase policy but you'll need to be able to put them under the bed most likely. We're bringing one suitcase apiece for the Spirit 15 day cruise.

I can't even imagine that! Wow! You are good!

I know it is bad but my last cruise I brought 4 and a garment bag. (one was just snorkel stuff) But, I know....bad huh? Oh and I put 4 pair of shoes in one of my DH's bags. lol

:eek: :eek:

Wow! DW brought 14 pairs of shoes on our 12 day Med cruise, and we still only had 3 cases and 1 carry on between us. ;) But I understand the extra case for the snorkle equipment. Have fun!! :)

Someone please tell me if they are strict on the 2 suitcases per person rule.

Probably not strict, but if you are talking a 7 day cruise, one piece of luggage plus a carry on should do the trick. Of couse we have figured out, with the cost of extra luggage on the plane how to travel pretty light and still have plenty of cloths to wear. I know everyone is different. On one cruise we took with 2 other couples: the number of shoes was quite a discussion: gal number 1 brought 8 pair of shoes, gal number 2 brought 4 and I brought 3 plus what I was wearing.

Nita

That being said, I believe they are enforcing the policy.

Please validate this statement.

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY has come here saying they had problem with number of suitcases, weight of suitcases, etc.

It is just not an issue.

DW & I are taking a 12 day international trip in a few weeks. We have to limit our suitcases to 1 each and a max weight of 20kg (44lb)(because of the limits of one flight between countries and one carryon each. I am sure that I will be wearing the same outfit more than once and maybe more than that.

As far as my cruises, we never take more than 1 suitcase each, 3 - 4 swim suits (I live in these during the daylight hours), a couple of changes of sox, fresh undies, clean pants & shirts. No suits, ties, dressy shoes, etc. We survive every time on that.

Gene

Please validate this statement.

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY has come here saying they had problem with number of suitcases, weight of suitcases, etc.

It is just not an issue.

Are you certain? I mean, we don't want them to overload the ship and cause it to sink!

Of couse we have figured out, with the cost of extra luggage on the plane how to travel pretty light and still have plenty of cloths to wear.

Nita

Hey, Nita! What kind of cloths do you wear?? Washcloths or dust cloths??? :D You could just use the ones in your cabin, then only pack shoes! :D:D

~Intrepid <-- Would need to wear full-size towels!

I believe that NCL's official position is not on the number of bags but the weight. It is in the cruise guide. Pretty sure (not checking, just remembering) it is limited to ONLY 200 lbs. per person!!!! :eek:

~Intrepid <-- who has to drag that around??

Archived