must we have passports for carib

valtandc

When travelling internationally, there are really two issues: Do I need a passport to enter the foreign countries I will be visiting, and Do I need a passport to return to the US?

All of the Caribbean countries have made the first question easy. None of them require passports for US citizens to visit. So, the OP does not need a passport (or much of anything, really) to go ashore at Grand Turk.

As others have pointed out, St. Thomas and San Juan are part of the US, so no special ID is required. Most port authorities require a government-issued photo ID, such as a drivers license (or passport), to enter the port area. The cruise line requires your ship's ID (S&S card in Carnival's case) to reboard the ship. I've never been asked (by ship security staff) for a DL or passport to reboard. I have been asked by local port authorities to get past the gate and onto the pier.

To return to the US by sea, on a closed-loop cruise (begin/end in same port), a certified copy of a government-issued (not hospital or church issued) birth certificate is sufficient. BTW, to the OP, very few cruises begin/end at different US ports, due to the Passenger Vessel Services Act, which prohibits (with a few exceptions) foreign-flagged vessels from transporting goods or passengers between US ports.

Paul

I've seen similar threads to this one on quite a few forums, and I'm just curious - why not get a passport? (other than if you're pressed for time).

It just makes things simpler and less worrisome, both at airports and for the "what-ifs". Sure, they cost a little money, but it's a once every ten years expense.

Do a majority of people who cruise only go on cruises out of the U.S., and other than cruising, do they just do "domestic" vacations? I'm big on international travel as well, so can't imagine life without a passport . . .

as many mentioned they are not needed.

but I think that whenever you travel out of the country having a passport is the best way to insure that if something goes wrong you have a durable proof of citizenship. birth certificates are not durable :)

MSTABBYCATS is that like a passport card?? My cousin and her DH are getting them instead of the passport. I told them the possiblities that might happen but they are still getting the cards.

DH and I have passport cards and have used them twice with no problem at all. We will be using them again in November, but will be gettting full passports after January due to our Med cruise.

No. When I just booked my cruise for next July, the TA said a birth certificate is fine. I did have passport cards made when we cruised last year to be safe.

Why would you be safer with a passport card as you still can't fly home from a foreign country with it.

Unless you cross the borders a lot I don't see the benefit.:confused:

Bill

Archived