What's the best way to see ships at Ft. Lauderdale?

timothy998

dchip,

I don't think I've seen a photo of Oasis from that angle before. Good photography but not a flattering picture of her. I didn't care for her lines before but she looks like a Lego block from that view.

I'll be sailing from Port Everglades on the same day as Oasis next trip so I guess I can see her in person. Maybe someday (assuming she does a MUCH better itinerary than now) I'll give the big gal a try.

Take one of the harbor tours on the Carrie B. Well worthwhile and it goes right out by the ships. www.carriebcruises.com

Thanks everyone for your ideas! I appreciate all your helpful suggestions.

The harbour tour is a great idea, and would be a hit with the kids, weather permitting, so believe that will be our first option. Particularly given that we plan to arrive the day prior, when the Oasis will still be in port. Yes, I know it's huge, but our kids (5, 9, nearly 13 at the time) will enjoy the experience. On a side note, one of my colleagues sailed on Oasis with his extended in-law family this past January & enjoyed the experience, but not the cold weather at the time.

We're staying at the Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Beach, 440 Seabreeze Blvd, and while we hope to have beach views, don't know about port views.

dchip,

I don't think I've seen a photo of Oasis from that angle before. Good photography but not a flattering picture of her. I didn't care for her lines before but she looks like a Lego block from that view.

I'll be sailing from Port Everglades on the same day as Oasis next trip so I guess I can see her in person. Maybe someday (assuming she does a MUCH better itinerary than now) I'll give the big gal a try.

"Butt Ugly" is an appropriate phrase!:eek:

"Butt Ugly" is an appropriate phrase!:eek:

I thought the same thing when I saw the picture but was trying not to go there. ;) Occasionally I can be diplomatic. I guess I'm just old-fashioned and prefer the lines of a ship that actually looks like a ship. I guess the exterior doesn't matter once you are onboard. I know several people who can't wait to get onboard.

Going back to the Lego idea - Allure is going to be sailing in a few months. I wonder - if you stacked Oasis and Allure, would they interlock? :D:p:cool:

Getting back on topic now, I've done both the Carrie B and the Riverfront Cruises canal tours in Fort Lauderdale. Either one is a good choice for seeing the Fort Lauderdale canals, yachts, $$$$ houses, and cruiseships at dock. I don't think I'd have a preference - both are same price, same length, and see the same things. If you want to see the ships leaving and not take a tour, 17th St. bridge is a good choice.

Yes, the Oasis is big, but it's a great, fun ship!

We had views of the port from our balcony at the Hilton, which is right next to the 17th street bridge. We also walked over to the beach and down to the channel the night before our cruise and were able to watch 5 or 6 cruise ships sail out, plus several commercial ships of various sorts, including a yacht transport, which was really neat.

This January we're staying at the Courtyard for one night pre-cruise and plan to walk down the beach again.

I clipped these directions from an article in the Palm Beach Post quite some time ago....one of these days I'll drive down to watch the ships sail away....

...viewers can watch the ships from Ft Lauderdale Beach at either the pier or beach at John U. Lloyd Beach State Park. To go to the park, take I-95 south to Sheridan St, then east to A1A, north 1.5 miles; or Florida's Turnpike to Hollywood Blvd. (exit 49), east to A1A, north 2.5 miles.

Those directions should get you to the end of the beach where we all see the folks waving to us from below as we sail from the Port of Everglades!

Nancy

Archived