Comments from Quest

Photogirl

I took DD (who was 18 at the time) and I was 45 on a 14 night med cruise on the Quest. We usually sail Celebrity, but this was for high school grad present. She and I LOVED the pax. She was the youngest on board, and I was probably second youngest. Personally, the itinerary being so port intensive, it seemed that the pax might have been in their 60's and 70's, but they were MORE active than the pax we've seen on other cruises. We would run into groups from the ship taking trains into Florence, and walking in Portofino and Malta. My DD found them all fantastic!!! And the cruise the best trip of her life.

Just my 2 cents...

We also were on the Quest last month (same cruise as SkysTheLimit, hi MJ!). We are early 50's and I feel like the average age was in the 50's/60's. We had the time of our lives. We have been on all the major cruise lines a number of times, but this was our first time on AZ and I have to say this was the best cruise ever!

We met so many interesting, fantastic, fun, outgoing, friendly people. The food and the staff were the best. Can't wait to go on my next AZ cruise!!

I took DD (who was 18 at the time) and I was 45 on a 14 night med cruise on the Quest. We usually sail Celebrity, but this was for high school grad present. She and I LOVED the pax. She was the youngest on board, and I was probably second youngest. Personally, the itinerary being so port intensive, it seemed that the pax might have been in their 60's and 70's, but they were MORE active than the pax we've seen on other cruises. We would run into groups from the ship taking trains into Florence, and walking in Portofino and Malta. My DD found them all fantastic!!! And the cruise the best trip of her life.

Just my 2 cents...

I'm with your daughter on this...I started cruising when I was young child, 35 years ago on Holland America...I was the youngest, even my mom was one of the youngest!!!!

but I learned about WW2 from actual veterans, I learned about speak easys from the Ladies that danced in them, the list goes on and on

I was so mesmerized by "older people" and all of their stories.

It was an education in history and a perfect way for a young child

to learn how to interact with and appreciate people of all ages.

I soaked the experience up like a sponge!!!

My DH and I are in our early 40's...

the demographics onboard will be a non issue for us,

Well said Andy,

Since my father's passing, I take my mother cruising with me. She is now in her 80s and still loves the experience.

I hope other passengers enjoy meeting her as much as she enjoys meeting them!

Dining is a very subjective experience. During our three Azamara cruises we have had wonderful meals and superlative service in both Prime C and Aqualina. I accept that others may not enjoy it as much.

Ciao

Hazel

I am in my early 50's and cruised on Azamara 10/2009. My husband and I found the age group to be quite mixed, though maybe the majority of the guests were over 50. But we found many, many friendly, fun, lively people on board. Older in age, but not in mindset. Looking forward to our cruise on Quest in 5/2011!!

Terri

• 2 weeks later...

This is Photogirl. Coming home, this is the first that I've read this thread. I did not know that my husband was going to post anything as he did. At this point, I'm not sure I want to farther stick my neck on the cutting block. However, I suppose I should say something. First, for the record, I was originally somewhat misquoted on my initial comments. No fault to DH. People often hear and interpret things a little differently than they are said. He was only reporting what he thought he heard.

I will admit that although I found most of my experiences on the Quest positive, I did have some less-than-positive experiences. I'm sorry to see that the negatives made the spot light and the positives almost ignored. But that can be the Internet.

True, I wasn't expecting the average age to be quite as old as it was. When my husband asked, the actual comment to him was "Honey, most everyone seems to be your age or older. A good many of them are as old as "Mom". That is not an insult. Just an observation. My husband is older than I am. That is not a problem. But I do tease him. He has a sense of humor.

One of my first experiences on the Quest was also to be seated at a table of the very elderly (over 80) with extreme hearing disabilities. At least 6 of them had hearing aides (by their own admission) but still could not hear. Thus, it seemed impossible for these individuals to carry on any conversation with even the person directly next to them. I'm sure this inability to hear in a noisy environment was even more distressful to them than it was to me. Still, as one my first impressions on a "new" cruise line, I found this was a rather uncomfortable situation. Regarding the remark about the "hearing aide set", that is a quote from "Mom" who wears a hearing aide. She has a sense of humor, too, and jokes about being a senior. At her age, she is entitled.

I was a bit surprised to see one poster on this thread suggest that I was deliberately being ignored simply because the senior citizens on the Quest just didn't like me. What a horrible thing to say about older people being seated with a younger dinner companion! When I tried to start a conversation, I was ignored simply because those at my table could not hear me with other noise in the dining room. Fact.

As one who has had both young and old friends ever since my early 20's, I will be the first to agree that age can be just a number. When one is young in mind & actions, age often doesn't matter. My own mother (who was menopause age when I was born) has always been my best friend and frequent travel companion. I've never considered her "old". She's just fun to be with. Had she been with me this trip, she would have agreed with me on my first impressions; including those about the average age on the Quest. There really was a high percentage of much older people on this cruise. As the cruise processed I did meet many really lovely people on the ship: most were older. However, there was one 21 year old (with his mother). He was the only really young person on the ship. His mom was also one of the few younger people on the ship. The two of them were cruising with her parents. The age demographics on the Quest seemed to be that most people on this particular cruise were well past retirement age. Many were active and really fun. I'm glad I had the chance to meet many of those. Others, on the other hand, were not so active nor social. This undoubtedly is probably the same on most any cruise - even with all younger people.

Nevertheless when I travel solo, being able to meet & socialize with new people is very important to me. Happily, I was able to meet & enjoy some time with Floris and the newly married couple from Alaska who were quite a bit younger than most. Plus I also really had a great time with many people who were in the "older category". When you find you have things in common with other people, age totally doesn't matter. You don't even think "age". If you're made to feel uncomfortable, however, you do think age or whatever seems to be the source of your discomfort. No one likes feeling "out of place" or in an awkward situation.

Now to the second matter. Sadly, Prime C was truly my biggest "problem" on this cruise. Indeed, food can be very subjective. I even admitted this when I asked the staff how their French Onion soup was made. Unfortunately, my negative experiences at Prime C went beyond the subjective element of liking or not liking a recipe. The first night, the soup was so "odd" that I could not even begin to eat it. Knowing that the recipe was "different", I asked - to understand what I wasn't liking - how it was made. I was told the recipe combined caramelized onions, chicken broth, and vinegar. I later found out that not only was the recipe somewhat different, but the person who prepared it that first evening in Prime C had also prepared it "wrong". Far too much vinegar. So the taste was extremely unpleasant. I truly appreciate the head of Prime C eventually taking the time to tell me that I was NOT totally crazy & that there was really something wrong with the soup that one night. I later did try the Onion Soup again. It was better, & I was able to eat it the second time. However, it still was not to my personal taste. I later heard that one evening a similar recipe (with vinegar) was used for Onion Soup in the main dining room. However, those who told me about it didn't try that Onion Soup; so I can't say if others found it good or bad.

I ate at Prime C on four different occasions. Looking back, I now wish that I hadn't. Other dining venues were better for me. I had absolutely no problems anywhere else. Next cruise on Azamara, I probably will not go to Prime C as often.

To father clarify my experiences at Prime C, I went back to Prime C the second time because I assumed my first experience was just a "bad night". Although usually not in the Speciality Restaurants, many times dinner the first night on a cruise does not go as smoothly as following nights. So I gave this restaurant - which I had read was very good - the benefit of a doubt & returned. The first evening my Filet (ordered Medium Medium) was very much over cooked (beyond Well Done); as were the steaks of all the diners immediately around me. The diners at 3 other tables complained to each other but never said anything to the restaurant staff. In more than one case, the meat went uneaten. From what I overheard, those particular individuals were very unhappy. Unfortunately, the waitress never checked to see if her guests were satisfied with the way their meat was cooked. Even I was not able to say anything until my server was ready to take the entree away. Still, I tried to assume the best & did not write Prime C totally off.

Completely different than the first night, the food my second evening at Prime C was enjoyable. Very good lamb chops cooked to perfection. This led me to believe that the bad experience on the first night had just been a fluke. So I went back a third time; only to receive lamb chops so thin and dried out that they literally resembled hocky pucks with bones. (I tried the lamb a second time mainly because of my previous positive experience; plus I really do enjoy good lamb chops). Unfortunately by this point - seated alone in a corner & once again having a problem with the food - I was really starting to feel extremely uncomfortable. This is why my hubby said that Prime C was "getting worse". It actually was for me. After the bad experience of the first evening, I really didn't want to have to say anything again on the 3rd evening. Unfortunately, others - on the night of my 3rd visit - again also had overcooked meat, too. So once again, it was not just me with a problem. But again, no one seemed to say anything to the restaurant staff. A little farther away, a table of 6, on the other hand, seemed to get their dinners properly prepared and were very happy with their meals. So I would say that inconsistency in preparation may have been the rule. Some got overcooked meat; some got their steaks perfectly done. Not "subjective"; just fact. Yes, that 3rd visit my sorbet did come to the table well over half melted. Although surprising, that was a minor matter in the overall picture. The other two times that I had the sorbet, it was fine. My soup (not the Onion Soup) also came out cold one night. But again, a minor thing overall. Nevertheless, cold soup is more of something that one might expect in the main dining room rather than a speciality restaurant.

After two negative experiences, I would not have gone back to Prime C the final time. However, newly made "friends" really wanted to dine there but could not get a reservation. With my suite, I had the reservation. So we went together. I asked to order off the Aqualina menu (as I had heard was possible) but was denied. So I again ordered the lamb (wishfully hoping that successful visit #2 would occur again). I like to be an optimist. However, things didn't really work out. Although the lamb was properly prepared, the cut sadly was tough and not good tasting. Getting a bad cut can happen anywhere; so I won't blame Prime C. But it was disappointing. No one even asked why I ate only 2 bites of the meat. This was also disappointing. Most fine restaurants want to know if there may be some problem. Meanwhile, my one dinner companion could not eat her appetizer. Even when she finally got the chance to say something, the sever merely answered that this is the way the dish is prepared & just wisked it away. My appetizer (the Shrimp) on the other hand was very nice. All 3 times I had it, it was good. So I would recommend this dish. As I would the mushroom soup. And the Caesar salad and mini donuts. Although the meat was a problem for me 3 times out of 4, there were things on the menu that I enjoyed. I have never said that there wasn't.

On another note, frequently traveling solo, I normally don't feel uncomfortable even when dining alone. Truthfully, I have never felt uncomfortable at any other Specialty restaurant on any cruise that I've ever been on until Prime C. I even felt quite comfortable while dining alone in Prime C's sister restaurant Aqualina. However for some reason, I felt increasingly very uncomfortable at Prime C during those evenings when I did not have company. This was very unfortunate, and sadly was a low point of my cruise. Many solo travelers will totally avoid the pleasure of experiencing the Speciality Restaurants on a cruise unless they can find someone else to accompany them. Until after my repeat, solo experiences at Prime C, I'd never before understood their fear of feeling uncomfortable alone at a Speciality Restaurant. Now I understand the feeling.

Frankly, if my DH had not started this thread, I probably would have said little or nothing publicly about my few "problems". There were far more positives to my over all trip.

With the above being said, if anyone is also interested in the "good", I will write a more detailed, overall review of my cruise. I only mention the problems now because my husband has set me up for a good tar and feathering. Therefore, I wanted to personally clarify my actual experiences. They weren't quite as dramatic as he envisioned them. DH wants the world to be perfect for me... He also has a goofy sense of humor sometimes. Unfortunately, things can also come across very differently over the Internet than they do when said light heartily in person in real life. When I first read his original post, I could envision everyone over the age of 65 up in arms and ready to throw me to the lions. That's still okay. I know he loves me, & he really didn't mean anything bad.

As for why anyone would "camp out just below the swimming pool", well that's where the lovely S1 Suite was located. I didn't design the ship. Despite being noise sensitive, I surprisingly found this cabin was actually worth having a bit of extra noise from the pool area up above. Others, however, may have more problems with the noise very early in the morning & late at night. To me, that noise was like the subdued roll of distant thunder. It wakes you up, but then, you get used to it & can roll over & usually go back to sleep.

More in a complete review in a few weeks when I have more time. The positives really do outweigh the negatives. In general, I had a lovely cruise. I also had the most perfect butler I've ever had. That meant far more to me than a few less-than-perfect dinners in Prime C. He helped and pampered me to the point where I felt like a princess. I could write an entire glowing review on him alone. Even when I've had the Penthouse Suite on Celebrity's M-Class ships, I wasn't pampered so wonderfully. This is said after always having had the good luck of getting very good butlers. Alwynn was definitely an outstanding gem.

Now to the second matter. Sadly, Prime C was truly my biggest "problem" on this cruise. Indeed, food can be very subjective. I even admitted this when I asked the staff how their French Onion soup was made. Unfortunately, my negative experiences at Prime C went beyond the subjective element of liking or not liking a recipe. The first night, the soup was so "odd" that I could not even begin to eat it. Knowing that the recipe was "different", I asked - to understand what I wasn't liking - how it was made. I was told the recipe combined caramelized onions, chicken broth, and vinegar. I later found out that not only was the recipe somewhat different, but the person who prepared it that first evening in Prime C had also prepared it "wrong". Far too much vinegar. So the taste was extremely unpleasant. I truly appreciate the head of Prime C eventually taking the time to tell me that I was NOT totally crazy & that there was really something wrong with the soup that one night. I later did try the Onion Soup again. It was better, & I was able to eat it the second time. However, it still was not to my personal taste. I later heard that one evening a similar recipe (with vinegar) was used for Onion Soup in the main dining room. However, those who told me about it didn't try that Onion Soup; so I can't say if others found it good or bad.

I ate at Prime C on four different occasions. Looking back, I now wish that I hadn't. . Next cruise on Azamara, I probably will not go to Prime C as often.

I am glad you posted this. We ate in Prime C about every other night, and the onion soup was terrible. We have a running joke because the onion soup on every ship we have ever been on has been horrible. We just don't get it.

For the record, my DH is a Chef and what he just stated was that French Onion soup should NOT BE MADE WITH VINEGAR. They should be using SHERRY. It is not a difficult soup to make, but it takes time to slowly caramelize the onions. He will be glad to show them how it's made when we board again in April :)

I know Azamara is reading these boards and we just can't figure out why onion soup is horrible on every cruise ship, Holland America Line, Celebrity, Swan Hellenic, and SilverSea included.

In general, I had a lovely cruise. I also had the most perfect butler I've ever had. That meant far more to me than a few less-than-perfect dinners in Prime C. He helped and pampered me to the point where I felt like a princess. I could write an entire glowing review on him alone. Even when I've had the Penthouse Suite on Celebrity's M-Class ships, I wasn't pampered so wonderfully. This is said after always having had the good luck of getting very good butlers. Alwynn was definitely an outstanding gem.

Alwynn is the best we have ever had. Btw, were you aft or forward? I can't figure out which Suites he covers.

"I was a bit surprised to see one poster on this thread suggest that I was deliberately being ignored simply because the senior citizens on the Quest just didn't like me. What a horrible thing to say about older people being seated with a younger dinner companion! When I tried to start a conversation, I was ignored simply because those at my table could not hear me with other noise in the dining room. Fact. "

I am going to assume that you are talking about my comment regarding the "hearing aid set". Indeed you acknowledge that your DH's post could be misinterpreted due to the fact that postings are purely one dimensional and without inflection or understanding of one's sense of humour. This is mostly true of our new medium. His post appeared to me, as it did to you and many others that it was just very negative and .... I will say it - whiny - this was just my impression when reading it.

My response to you was not that they didn't like you - it was, and I quote:

"Perhaps they cannot "seem" to hear because they do not enjoy what you say? Just a thought."

It was firmly tongue-in-cheek with a slight inflection of irony based on my "impression" of your experiences through your DH. And most definately since you do not know me, would not get my sense of humour. Fact.

A good lesson to take away is to always read posts with an eye to variabilities.....and use ;) to convey our inflections.

Happy Sailings......ALWAYS!

Alwynn is the best we have ever had. Btw, were you aft or forward? I can't figure out which Suites he covers.

My suite was midship; just under the swimming pool area. Alwynn definitely was the best butler (in all ways) that I've ever encountered on a cruise ship. I'm not surprised that others also agree with me. Hope to get him someday again. He was a true treasure. I could write an entire glowing review on him alone. He was positively wonderful!

Archived