Comments from Quest

Photogirl

Just got off phone with wife, currently traveling solo on Quest. Quick summary of comments.

The passengers are the "hearing aid set". Most people are over 70. Gave up on many a conversation, because they can't seem to hear. A couple of people are in their 30's. Overall, it reminds me of an assisted living facility.

Suite 8043 is very nice. No problem with the bed. Noise can definitely be heard from deck above. They were setting up for the special buffet during the call and it really sounded like thunder.

Shuttles worked very well.

Prime C is awful and getting worse. Three meals and not one was good. Dined solo and was put in corner. Respectful but really sourpuss waitress. Lamb chops extremely thin and like leather. Onion soup tasted like vinegar. When told, the staff denied it. After complaining up the ladder, the kitchen staff finally admitted that someone had read a recipe wrong and did add vinegar! Tried the same soup another night without the vinegar. It was still barely acceptable. Sorbet arrived as a puddle.

Included wines have been fine.

The crew is always smiling, but they don't really make an effort to correct problems. They just apologize, keep smiling and off they go.

Shore excursions have been excellent and the ports are the real reason for this cruise. Taking lots of photos and walking miles and miles.

Stormy with very high winds after leaving Sicily, but there has been no rain while in any port. Weather gods are smiling.

More in a couple of days.

PG's hubby

My husband and I were on the Quest in mid May 2010, and like so many others before and since, had the best cruise ever. We are in our mid 70's and still very active. We met and had a great time with a number of cruisers we met who were 30-40 yrs. younger. We also enjoyed meeting those who were closer to our age as well and never had any problem communicating. We as well as all our fellow travelers enjoyed the great food, great service, and wonderful ports on Azamara Quest.

As my grandmother told me on many occasions, a word to the wise is sufficient - my word to the solo traveler who felt she was in assisted living -- enjoy your youth, but remember your day will come.

"The passengers are the "hearing aid set."

"reminds me of an assisted living facility."

"Suite 8043 is very nice" [but...]

"They were setting up for the special buffet during the call and it really sounded like thunder"

"Prime C is awful and getting worse"

"Respectful but really sourpuss waitress"

"Lamb chops ...like leather. Onion soup tasted like vinegar"

"Sorbet arrived as a puddle"

There is so little credibility to this posting that I suspect that it is best ignored. Your wife may indeed be having the most miserable time of her life, but that huge chip on the shoulder is coming through loudly, and clearly.

Suite 8043 - first of all, its a Veranda stateroom, not one of the suites. And who decided to be camping out just below the swimming pool, anyway?

Their top restaurant is bad and getting worse? For heaven sake, why would she go back if it's that bad? Can't bear to dine with the hunched over, geriatric bunch? I can certainly see why the waitress was a sourpuss. Hell, I probably would be too, after having to deal with this kvetch for days on end. I can also see why the sorbet would arrive in a puddle.

There are simply too many great postings on these boards to give any credence to any of this drivel. Perhaps on your next call you can suggest that she leave the boat, and fly home early. I'm sure the "hearing aid set" will be a lot happier, and so will she.

Sheesh!

I don't understand why there is so little credibility to the OP. It's her opinion and she is entitled to it. Do you also disagree with her assessment that the wines are fine and the shore excursions excellent?

Dear Dr H

1. Nobody said she was having a bad time. I just quoted some comments. There are positives also.

2. 8043 is not a balcony cabin - it is a Club Continent S1 Suite on the Starboard side.

3. "it is best ignored". I guess that makes you an ignoramus.

4. 'Nuff said

xplrcrzn,

You are correct about your being entitled to respond. A genteel and erudite discussion of my DW's comments, as interpreted by me, would be most welcome. My apologies to those who would like to pursue same.

However, a certain earlier response obviously does not meet the "genteel and erudite" criteria.

Again, my apologies to others.

PG's Hubby

Genteel = "elegant and graceful in manner"

With respect to the OP, I don't think describing fellow passengers as being "the hearing aid set" or "assisted living facility" falls into the genteel category either.

I also accept that food is subjective, but I couldn't ever consider Prime C to be "awful and getting worse". I'm sure there are certain dishes and options not to everyone's taste, but THREE meals and not one good? Even if I was a foodie fanatic, I would be able to find something edible on the Prime C menu.

Edited to add - if the food was so awful in Prime C the first visit, why didn't she try Aqualina or the Main Dining Room? If I'd had such a miserable experience the first visit, I certainly wouldn't be returning twice more to confirm my negative impression.

I'm not a cheerleader and have criticisms and concerns about Azamara, but I find the staff on board (and especially the senior officers) to be very proactive to genuinely constructive criticism. If you have a problem, seek out the Hotel Director and give him/her and earful and they will do their best to correct the problem. I don't think I have ever seen a more 'hands-on' team of officers on any cruise line.

I am looking forward to further updates on her cruise and I hope it improves. I'm still looking forward enormously to our cruise later this month.

Hi Everyone !

I agree that everyone is welcome to share their opinions, though I realize that when comments start with "hearing aid set", and words like "sourpuss" and "assisted living facility", it's going to invoke negative comments.

My Parents are both in their Mid 80's, and I cherish each and every day we have together, and consider them the best gift I've ever had. I take them on most every Cruise I sail on, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I am never able to understand how some can make negative comments about the presence of Seniors onboard, as we should always respect our elders. I only hope to be there someday. For what it's worth, I've had some of the most incredible conversations with Senior Cruisers, but I digress....

As for the Prime C comments, the topic of food is always very subjective, so I will respect the comments, but add mine. I've dined in Prime C a few times, and I feel it was the best Specialty Dining experience I've ever had at Sea. Hopefully, the OP caught the venue on a bad night, or it's quite possible their tastes differ from mine. I highly recommend dining there.

To the OP: I hope you have a wonderful time onboard Quest.

After many trips on both ships and having dined in Prime C numerous times I find it difficult to understand how there could so many problems considering we have never had one complaint with food or service.

My wife sometimes accuses me of being a bit hearing impaired however I have never had a problem hearing while dining with other happy and satisfied Azamara fans.

I hope this traveller enjoys the remainder of the trip . I know the wonderful staff on the Quest will do whatever is necessary to make the trip enjoyable.

Having just returned from a Quest sailing I admit the crowd was a lot older but boy, did they have fun!! We didn't mix that much with others on the cruise as we were happy in each other's company but thoroughly enjoyed watching the older cruisers partying, dancing and having a wonderful time! As mentioned before, we will all be old one day and if I can be enjoying life as much as they were at that age.....bring it on!!

As for the comments regarding Prime C. I must have had every other dish that they had as mine were just perfect.

I know everyone is entitled to their opinions but it was severe comments like this that gave me such grief and almost made me cancel our cruise, worrying it was going to be terrible. Sooooooooo glad we didn't as we loved it soooooo much!

PG's hubby ..also known as OP

This is a classic case of shooting the messenger.

I learned early on in marriage when my DH asked me to give HIS mother a simple, somewhat benign message

that it is NEVER EVER a good idea. EVER

as you can tell you will be raked over coals, hooked up to the rack of medieval torture and then the crowds of the coliseum will collectively put their thumbs down.

As much as we might love our respective spouses and know the goodness in their hearts, their witty sarcastic humor...

you need to graciously step aside, let her deliver her own thoughts and offer her a bar and soap after SHE not YOU is tarred and feathered.

I love reading the reviews on these boards. When they are presented in a complete and comprehensive manner without generalizations or derogatory comments, they are extremely helpful. I look forward to hearing the good and the bad. When you read about something that wasn't just right, go onboard and find out that changes have been made, you realized that people are listening and trying to perfect the product. As soon as you throw in degrading comments you cheapen the review and it loses it's relevance. It just becomes griping and not productive.

On our last cruise, we had the best time with two wonderful ladies who were in their 80's (we are in our 40's). We had a hard time keeping up with them! You meet some of the best people while cruising - you just have to want to meet them.

Just to put these things in perspective. My DW is much, much younger than I am. So I can easily relate to senior citizen comments. Mom is 98 years young and lives in an independent senior living complex. She wears two hearing aids and SHE, along with her friends, is the one who coined the term "hearing aid set". They are also part of the "walker racing team". Coach is 105. They see the humor in this, but apparently we can't.

As far as the food, i know that my wife goes a bit overboard in her expectations. Some time ago she was up to be the food critic for a major city newspaper. I told her that, with her critical palate, she would probably give most of the restaurants in the city one star or less. She turned down the restaurant critic idea.

Before retiring, I spent over 35 years in the travel industry, as pilot, head of tour operations, then reservations, etc. The wife has been to every continent, most countries and on ships from the major and minor cruise and expedition lines. She has stayed in interior cabins up to the largest suite afloat. She has set up and led tours. Her comments have never been false for the time and place of occurrence. As I stated before, the negatives she experienced and mentioned on the phone do not mean that other things have not been good, or maybe even perfect.

Hopefully, the DW will post a full review of HER experiences on this cruise and others will also post THEIR experiences. That is, if she isn't overwhelmed by the negative responses I received for the OP that I put up in her name. I know I will get hell for that, either way.

The internet doesn't allow you to see expressions, body language, hear tonality, etc. If you could, you all might understand that the original post was a lot lighter than it may have appeared in print.

Thanks for reporting back in - reviews are always better received when they are an honest summary that includes both the positive and the negative.

I look forward to your wife's full review and any further comments, though I suspect you will be filtering them somewhat LOL.

I look forward to reading your wife's review. I would also encourage her to formally raise her issues with Richard the hotel director who, with Captain Carl is a very accessible person. It would be good to gether perspective of how they handle her concerns

OK. Hang on to your hats everybody, here is phone call #2.

- Her butler (she didn't give me a name) is probably the best, most attentive and helpful one she has had on any cruise.

- Contrary to what some others have said, the ship's excursions that she has taken have been very good, especially the one she just took to a winery, that left her a little tipsy.

- Last night's pool buffet was good, not the best ever, but good.

- Dinner tonight was supposed to be in Aqualina, but was changed to ensuite due to time constraints and trying to get ready for probably 20 straight hours of touring, photography and dining in Venice tomorrow. Courses were served by butler on a course by course basis. Very well done.

- Reiterated that the lamb chops in Prime C were definitely like shoe leather.

- Average age of fellow passengers is in the 70's. A discussion with the ship's photographer confirmed that AZ has been attracting an older crowd. The photographer said the even though the DW and she agreed on the age of the passengers on this cruise, it was actually younger than many of the other cruises the photographer has been on on the Quest.

- Noise in the suite from the pool deck above is noticeable, but has not been a problem, since the wife has been up early and back late.

- Overall, cruise has been enjoyable.

See, darkness before the dawn.

Relayed through,

PhotoGirl's Hubby

Is Alwynn the butler for her cabin? He was wonderful to us last month on the Quest.

We were in 8039 and our friends were in 8043. There is noise from the pool deck above early in the AM for a few minutes. It's not thundering by any means. We loved the size of the cabin and access by one flight of stairs to the pool deck.

Our group was happy to dine in the main dining room most nights and found the food to be very good to excellent. We ate in both specialty restaurants a couple of times. Our group of six was seated at a corner table as well. We found the location very conducive to conversation and did not feel the least bit isolated. I spent many years travelling solo for work and know that feeling of thinking I was assigned the worst table in the restaurant. On the other hand, I preferred to be seated on the outer perimeter versus in the middle of the dining room.

It's funny about the demographics of a cruise. My husband is 67(ten years older than the rest of us) and he ran circles around everyone in our group. There were many singles on our cruise. One lady we befriended dined with us some nights and with others she met on the cruise on alternate nights. Every time we ran into her she said "I'm having the BEST time".

I know that the senior officers, staff, and everyone from top to bottom on the Quest will do whatever it takes to make you happy as a customer. Capt. Carl carrys a small notepad and pen with him whereever he goes and is eager to take notes on areas to improve. So, just ask and they will do there best to please with the product they have to offer.

Hello Photogirl's husband,

I'm on the same cruise as your wife and we met on various occasions, including the shore excursions that left her, me and a few others more than a little tipsy :)

I agree with most of her comments. I've never been on a cruise with an average age that is this high, period. For some that might not be a problem, for me it is. On a two week cruise, it is nice to meet at least a few folks from your own age group. Except for your wife and a wonderful couple from Alaska who got married by Captain Carl Smith, I haven't spotted any.

Azamara offers an exceptional product. The service is top notch and the staff is always there to help, smiling. The ships are beautiful and well maintained. The new all-inclusive service is wonderful and definitely worth its price. Dinner has been excellent every night and the complimentary wines are indeed very good. The complimentary shuttles are great and the shore excursions have also been flawless. I'm only a little bit disappointed with the limited choices at the buffet, especially given that as a solo traveler I have lunch and dinner there on most days. I haven't been to Prime C, but have heard multiple people complain about 'overcooked' dishes. Maybe they have a new Chef or something. The entertainment also leaves something to be desired. I know the show lounge is small compared to larger ships, but Princess manages to put up better production shows on its former R-ships, and that's a shame given the price difference with Azamara.

I truly have nothing substantial to complain about and would recommend Azamara to anyone who doesn't mind traveling on a ship where the average age is 65+ and all lights are off well before midnight. (Obviously this might be different over the holidays.)

Will I come back? Yes - for the itineraries. If the itinerary is the same, X fits my personal tastes better.

Best Regards,

Floris

Archived