Cotton~Help fianlizing plans in NO

like2cruise

Hi Cotton,

I really enjoy and appreciate your posts. I have read each of them along with others to try and come up with a day plan. Would you mind looking over and telling me if this is on the mark and answer a few questions? We arrive on Saturday, March 18 at 1:45. We are booked at both the Embassy Suites and the Astor Crowne Plaza. Do you recommend one over the other? We are leaning toward the Astor due to the location. We are planning to check in and go to Pontalba Cafe for our first Po Boy which I think from your post we can walk to from the Astor. While in that area we can also stop in the St Louis Cathedral...is that open to the public? You recommend walking the Jackson Square, Down Decator to French Market and back on Bourbon. What is in the French Market? We thought it might be doable to pay $5.00 and tour some of the other parts of NO per streetcar. Does the $5.00 pass let you use all 3 streetcar routes, Canal, St Charles & Riverfront. Will one of the routes take us to a cemetary that is open to the public. Is the City Park worth a stop? What is the easiest way to get there? Could we spend a few hours there Sunday Morning before we board the Dream? Or would you recommend the D Day Museum? After that we thought we would have dinner at the Gumbo Shop or Acme Oyster Co. Is the Gumbo Shop walking distance form the Astor. I think Acme Oyster Co. is...right? Then of course we are planning a little bar and jazz hopping with stops at Blues Club, Preservation Hall and have a Hurricane at Pat O'Briens. Any other must stops? We will end the night or start the morning at Cafe Du Monde. Is that walking distance as well? Any information much appreciated. Also curious if there is a place to get canned diet coke in the area of the Astor. One of my few bad habits :-) We LOVE to just walk and walk and walk. What areas if any should we avoid at night? Any tours that you recommend or do you think the above plan is a great way to spend 24 hours in your city? We are easy to please, very patient and love food and people! One more question...is a taxi easy to get back to the airport from the pier or should I arrange transfers in advance. Thanks for your time!

Have fun in our great city. The french market is an open air market where you can byt fruits and veggies or other misc. stuff. City Park is a beautiful public park but I think it's not worth the trip for a day in NO. DO go to the D Day Museum it is great. If you go to a cemetary, try to go with a tour as some of them are in bad neighborhoods. Have fun on the Dream, I was on the Dream last feb and I'll help with any other questions you may have. Enjoy New Orleans!

Thanks for your post Micktooth...so now I will go back and read all your posts too :-) I love reading posts from the local experts!!! We like the location of the Astor...is that a decent hotel for a one night stay? Would we be better off at the Embassy Suites? I need to cancel one of them soon. WOW the Dream gets mixed reviews. Did you have a good time? We have been on all types of ships...always enjoy experiencing whatever that cruise and ship offers us. Any recommendations for restaurants? We just want casual good local cuisine. Any do not miss bars or other activities in your opinion. Can we walk to the D Day Museum from the Astor? Lots of questions. Trying to make the best of our 24 hours. We are almost as excited about NO as we are the cruise. Thanks again for all your help!!!! It is much appreciated.

The embassy suites is closer to the pier but the astor is closer to the french quarter. It depends on where you want to spend the most of your time. You will have to take a cab from the astor to the d day museum. It's within walking distance from the emabassy suites. There are many awesome restaurants in NO. Bella Luna is one of my favorites. It overlooks the river and the food is great. It is past Cafe du Monde near the french market. Check nola.com or insideneworleans.com for reviews. I am not a big bar person, I'm 41 with 2 kids but there is always Pat O'Briens for some hurricanes! The aqauarium is vey nice as is the zoo. You can take a zoo cruise from downtown and back. We had a great time on the Dream. I have to admit it is not the classiest ship out there. It seemed old. Just remember, you are on a cruise, so how bad could it be?

Hey! Thx for the compliment.:) Sorry I haven't been around, and didn't see this thread until this morning. (I ran over to N.O. yesterday to have lunch with my daugher....Gumbo Shop, of course.);)

WOW, so many questions, and so little time in our city...! Y'all really need to plan a trip back when you have lots of time. There's no way you'll be able to do all you want to do in that short time....but you can cover a lot of ground, anyway. I'll see if I can answer some of your questions:

St. Louis Cathedral is the most beautiful I've ever seen. That's where I attended Mass when I was growing up. Yes, it's open to the public, however, the doors to the santuary will be closed during Mass - to keep the outside noise down.

The French Market on Decatur is most interesting. Like a big open-air flea market of sorts, with lots and lots of "stuff", mostly local. I like to browse, always some interesting things to look at. Oh, and the N.O. souveniers are MUCH less expensive there than in the shops. Down past there is the Farmer's Market.

Going to one of the cemetarys (and they are SO amazing) is not a good idea on your own. Take a tour.

City Park - I wouldn't spend my time there if I were on a tight schedule. On your next visit, yes.

Pat O's - YEP, go there and try to sit around the flaming fountain and enjoy that Hurricane. They have boxes for you to take the glasses home with you. If you don't see them at the exit, ASK. You can't walk around with just a 'glass' in your hand, but in the box it's fine. (But you can take any 'go-cups' walking around anywhere in the Quarter.) Oh yeah - "like this place, no other".

Walking around at night. Basically, I tell everybody that if they stay in the lighted areas and where the crowds are, they're safe. Just don't venture down any alleys or dark side streets.:eek: We're a fun city, but crime is everywhere these days, any city. Just be 'cautious' of your surroundings.

Taxis are abundant when you debark. Lined up for miles, it seems. Should be no problem at all to get back to the airport.

Oh, and I agree, of the two hotels you have chosen, I think the Astor would be more convenient.

Hope I covered most everything you asked, and that some of this info helps, and I also hope y'all have the time of your lives, both in the city as well as on the cruise.:)

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to answer our questions. My hubby and I look forward to visiting your great city and with your help we will be able to make the most of the 24 hours we have there. We have decided to board late and spend an extra few hours in NO, we have never done that before!!!

Archived