Really Old Ships?

handbellplayer

We were on a HAL cruise this summer and there was a ship called the Athena at one of our stops. The HAL captain asked if any of us remembered the Stockholm - Andrea Doria collision and then informed us that the Athena was the old Stockholm -

"Since 2005, the Stockholm sails as the Athena and is registered in Portugal. She is now flagged out of Cyprus operating for Classic International Cruises."

The Stockholm was built in 1948 so she is 62 years old. Now that is old. it would be neat to sail on her.

She has to be one of the older cruise ships still being used.

DON

I was behind an old car today with two Carnival bumper stickers (never seen a cruise bumper sticker before!)

The two ships were Mardi Gras and Festivale - just how old were those bumper stickers?

Well I was married in '92 and my DH and I went on the Festivale and were married in St. Thomas! Not sure about Mardi Gras

DH and I both sailed the Mardi Gras when we graduated high school. Different times and we didn't know each other. He sailed in '87 and I sailed in '88. I remember reading several years back that the MG sank while being transported for scrap purposes.

My very first cruise was also on the Mardi Gras. 21 years ago now, but she made me the cruise junkie I am today. I got a tear in my eye when I read she had been cut up for scrap. I think they should have made a museum out of her instead. I would have gladly paid to revisit her again. :D:

The insides were a lot different--no tvs, they took your night gown and made designs rather than towel animals, you had to go to a public room to dry your hair and curl it. Also had skeet shooting and had a theater in the lower level of the ship!!

Sounds like the Sitmar Fairwind cruise we took in 1977. Still have pics of me doing skeet. Also had Iranian caviar in mdr.

Archived