This is happening now

Very scary.....!!

and people always dimiss my fears of fires on board a ship:(

I also would be leary of a ferry boat or "converted" ferry..they have a lot more sinkings and accidents than regular ships

Oh puleezz, just say it, you think a smoker started it.

Very scary.....!!

.....they have a lot more sinkings and accidents than regular ships

Oh puleezz, just say it, you think a smoker started it.

I think the OP was referring to a recent thread where someone raised concern about a fire that was started aboard a cruise ship years ago. And while the OP didn't notice the date it became a their concern since they had a "first cruise" coming up.

Acutally sharecruises is correct. There "are more" ferry accidents than cruise ship accidents.

In July of this year, 80 people died in a ferry accident in the Congo http://articles.cnn.com/2010-07-29/world/congo.ferry.accident_1_ferry-accident-congo-river-transport?_s=PM:WORLD

In June of this year in Dhaka 12 people died, including 10 children, with scores missing when a ferry capsized - http://articles.cnn.com/2010-07-29/world/congo.ferry.accident_1_ferry-accident-congo-river-transport?_s=PM:WORLD Yes it was overloaded, as ferries usually are in third world countries but this did happen.

37 people were hurt, 1 seriously, when the Staten Island Ferry crashed in the pier in May of this year - http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/05/08/national/main6469337.shtml

These are the ones I remembered from this year. So I have to agree that ferry accidents do happen. And while I have at times rode the ferry in Galveston I have always felt uncomfortable from the time I got on the ferry until the time I got off. Especially the time when we were on a tour bus and couldn't get off to stand at the railing because the waves in the Bay were so high they were inches from coming over the railing.

I think the OP was referring to a recent thread where someone raised concern about a fire that was started aboard a cruise ship years ago....Acutally sharecruises is correct. There "are more" ferry accidents than cruise ship accidents.

Well, if you want to get REALLY obsessive (or even compulsive!) about dangers aboard ships, be sure to check out this site which tracks all "events" at sea...you can search event type and year...and scan each year for your favorite cruise lines...very informative site:

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

Many, many news links to cruise ship issues while they travel the world never appear in US media sources ;-) If you are on a ship and have info, send it to these guys. They'll spread the word.

ross@cruisejunkie.com

With that said, cruises ships are incredibly safe and well maintained. The biggest problem they have is protecting people from their own stupidity ;-)

Regards,

Johncn

Smokers don't scare me, we who smoke know that the end of what we are smoking is hot, burns and can cause fires. Smokers who drink sometimes forget that the end of what they are smoking is hot burns and can cause fires, which scares me. But what scares me more are the people that insist on bringing irons, so they look all neat and stuff,and then forget the iron, and leave their cabin. NOW THAT SCARES ME!:eek:

Smokers don't scare me, we who smoke know that the end of what we are smoking is hot, burns and can cause fires. Smokers who drink sometimes forget that the end of what they are smoking is hot burns and can cause fires, which scares me. But what scares me more are the people that insist on bringing irons, so they look all neat and stuff,and then forget the iron, and leave their cabin. NOW THAT SCARES ME!:eek:

Irons are not allowed. cigarrettes(sp) are allowed, so your point is?:confused:

Archived