Comparing Epic bathrooms to European bathrooms

sdmike

Please do NOT turn this into another debate over the Epic bathrooms. Some love them, some hate them. That's not the point here. The observation has been made in other threads that the Epic bathroom layout is similar to what is often found in hotels, and should not be considered "improper" or "unusual". I would certainly say they are different for a cruise ship, but based on my trip to Amsterdam last week I would agree that the layout is pretty common. In fact, the exact same showers are used in two of the locations I stayed - the very nice Park Hotel, and even at my buddy's house.

Here are some pictures of my room at the Park Hotel. It is a 200 Euro per night luxury hotel, and the room was tiny compared to my Epic stateroom (albeit very comfortable). http://www.parkhotel.nl/

The toilet and the shower were in their separate sections, both with translucent glass just like the Epic. Notice that the shower on the right is the exact one as the Epic, down to the manufacturer. The sink is on the left. The bed is behind me. One thing that was neat was the shower drain. It's not a hole in the floor, but rather a drainage strip that runs across the front of the shower. I WILL tell you that there was no way to keep water from the shower from getting out onto the tile floor. Not an issue at all though.

IMG_0299-vi.jpg

To the right of the shower is the "office". In this picture the shower door is open (you can see the translucent glass on the left)

IMG_0300-vi.jpg

Here you can see the relationship of the sink/bath and the bed and door. Like the Epic, the bathroom is exposed (no curtain either). The wall with the TV is only a 1/2 wall, and to the right of that wall is the "office" area.

IMG_0301-vi.jpg

You can see the right side of the "tv wall" and the opening to the "office" in this picture, as well as the sink area.

IMG_0506-vi.jpg

Oh..and don't forget the key slot for the lights!! (yes, just like the Epic)

IMG_0516-vi.jpg

Finally, LED reading lights and mood lighting, just like the Epic.

IMG_0518-vi.jpg

So, imagine my shock when I got into this room after having been on the Epic. There are so many design similarities that it cannot be a coincidence. The ship certainly has a euro design, which is very different than what US residents are used to. I'm sure when the ship moves to the Med next year there will be far fewer discussions about the bathrooms, because quite frankly it's what a lot of Europeans are used to.

Also, there's no hiding if a room attendant came in (if you notice the location of the entry door), just like the Epic. lol.

Here are a couple more pictures.

IMG_0513-vi.jpg

The hotel lobby

IMG_0522-vi.jpg

IMG_0523-vi.jpg

The Park Hotel at night

IMG_0502-vi.jpg

One of the over 1000 canals

IMG_0330-vi.jpg

Did plenty of this in the numerous outdoor cafes. Cheers!

IMG_0492-vi.jpg

The stateroom design was actually one of the main reasons I chose to book the Epic. After comparing Oasis's staterooms and Epic's... I chose the Epic because it had a more "modern" and different feel to it. I wanted something different from other cruises I've been on, so that's why I chose the Epic! :p

I will answer this as being European (Dutch!).

Translucent doors in bathrooms are not odd, or making us uncomfortable.

Maybe the older (50+) generations, but even my parents (in their 80ties) wouldn't mind.

There is a wide difference in what you can say a 'prudeness' approach between the US, and EU.

I still don't understand the fuzz about speedos, and can't understand people going to separate sauna's keeping their swimsuits on (mind you, that's dirty!)

Here it's quite normal to go to a mixed sauna, for us, being naked has nothing to do with sex.

I understand the cultural differences when travelling, and keep it in mind, and let's say 'hold my pace'.

Differences are just differences, not better, not worse, and there is always a chance of learning something from your fellow earthling from another country ;-)

I will answer this as being European (Dutch!).

Translucent doors in bathrooms are not odd, or making us uncomfortable.

Maybe the older (50+) generations, but even my parents (in their 80ties) wouldn't mind.

There is a wide difference in what you can say a 'prudeness' approach between the US, and EU.

I still don't understand the fuzz about speedos, and can't understand people going to separate sauna's keeping their swimsuits on (mind you, that's dirty!)

Here it's quite normal to go to a mixed sauna, for us, being naked has nothing to do with sex.

I understand the cultural differences when travelling, and keep it in mind, and let's say 'hold my pace'.

Differences are just differences, not better, not worse, and there is always a chance of learning something from your fellow earthling from another country ;-)

I agree. :) As you probably can tell, there has been a lot of discussion about the Epic bathrooms. My goal was to show that while they might be different than bathrooms on other ships, they are certainly not unique as far as bathrooms go.

By the way, I loved the short period of time I spent in your country. I spent an entire day walking through Amsterdam, and then took a couple of side trips with a friend up to Zaanstad (yes, to see the windmills and the wooden shoe factory), Volendam, Lelystad and Utrecht. I didn't get down to Rotterdam or Den Haag, but maybe next time. :)

In here :)

IMG_0319-vi.jpg

lol!

Nice to read you had fun in our tiny country ;)

I'm sure we'll have fun checking out Miami, and the Everglades coming november. (it's not the first time, we keep coming back)

The epic bathrooms are not unique, you are right, still I do think the ship is, and hope to check it out next summer :rolleyes:

Nice weather you see on the pic, very Dutch:p

It's the crouching man (well ok, the locals say it's the poo poo man).

made by an English artist Antony Gormley.

It's indeed 25.5 meters (85feet) 60 tons, and 5000 metal elements, and 14000 bolts.

There are a lot of big art landmarks in Holland, here near our city (Groningen) we have about 6, not all as big as poo man though :)

The observation has been made in other threads that the Epic bathroom layout is similar to what is often found in hotels, and should not be considered "improper" or "unusual". I would certainly say they are different for a cruise ship, but based on my trip to Amsterdam last week I would agree that the layout is pretty common.

The toilet and the shower were in their separate sections, both with translucent glass just like the Epic. Notice that the shower on the right is the exact one as the Epic, down to the manufacturer.

This information is misleading.

There is NO similarity between what you posted here and Epic cabins because Epic problem is NOT just translucent doors.

The Epic cabins problem is "entrance through the "bathroom" with all the consequences. That's why it's improper.

The hotel room does NOT have that problem.

The hotel room has an area designated for bathroom facilities that is NOT in your way and is NOT in the middle of the room like on Epic.

Another well known fact about Epic standard balcony cabins - simply no space for a proper bathroom. Split bathroom design is a byproduct of squeezing cabins to fit more passengers.

The ship certainly has a euro design, which is very different than what US residents are used to. I'm sure when the ship moves to the Med next year there will be far fewer discussions about the bathrooms, because quite frankly it's what a lot of Europeans are used to

Neither US residents, nor Europeans are used to entering their homes through bathrooms.

Lusitanica

Everything I posted here was factual

I made no commentary on how people enter their homes

However, entering next to the bathroom sink in clear view of the toilet and shower isn't typical either

I showed clear similarities between the Epic bathroom and my hotel bathroom

At no point did I imply that translucent glass was the sole reason people don't like the bathroom

For you to state there are NO similarities is simply laughable

My intent was to inform

My intent was not to persuade or dissuade people from sailing on Epic

Go jump in a lake

Nice weather you see on the pic, very Dutch:p

It's the crouching man (well ok, the locals say it's the poo poo man).

made by an English artist Antony Gormley.

It's indeed 25.5 meters (85feet) 60 tons, and 5000 metal elements, and 14000 bolts.

There are a lot of big art landmarks in Holland, here near our city (Groningen) we have about 6, not all as big as poo man though :)

Yes, the weather that day was very Dutch, but it was certainly in contrast to the beautiful sunny day we had last Monday. I really liked getting a bit of each.

This information is misleading.

The hotel room has an area designated for bathroom facilities that is NOT in your way and is NOT in the middle of the room like on Epic.

Welllll in my former house I DID have a bath/shower in the middle of the sleepingroom, the toilet was "tucked" away behind a thick glass wall.

I designed the layout myself, and when I moved to another house, the house was sold in a week, one of the main reasons was the sexy bathroom :rolleyes:

Sorry, but I don't get it, and I even made the effort to view the overhead photos and videos on the NCL site. Placing areas where bodily functions that are best kept private in full or partial view of anyone and everyone is not modern, it is regressive and in some ways dehumanizing.

The videos, by the way, do their best to minimize what would be a turn-off for many.

I don't think it is prudish at all to consider defecation something that should not have an audience.

The Epic cabins problem is "entrance through the "bathroom" with all the consequences. That's why it's improper.

Placing areas where bodily functions that are best kept private in full or partial view of anyone and everyone is not modern, it is regressive and in some ways dehumanizing.

OK...I was waiting for someone to comment on this...

As the posters quoted above have both pointed out, the "real" issue(s) that people had concerning the bathroom layout on the Epic centered on two things:

Issue #1 - Someone will enter the cabin (room steward, another passenger with a keycard) and see me while I'm either in the shower or on the toilet.

Issue #2 - Someone will open the door to the room while I'm either in the shower or on the toilet and another guest passing by in the hallway will be able to see me.

While the naysayers have spouted whatever anti-bathroom complaints they could think of...the major problems "seem" to focus on the two issues above...as illustrated by the provided quotes.

BUT. . . (No pun intended :rolleyes:)

The Epic is now in her 4th month of sailing. Many thousands of passengers have experienced and reported on all she has to offer. Yet, we seem to have NO REPORTS FROM ANYONE on the following "issues":

Issue #1 - NOBODY has posted a review indicating that: "I was in the shower/on the toilet and the room steward just opened the door and walked right in on me!!"

Issue #2 - NOBODY has posted a review indicating that: "I was walking down the hallway and I happend to glance over as this room door next to me was opened, and OMG...I could see someone in the room in the shower/on the toilet!!! I was mortified!"

If this was a real issue, wouldn't you think someone would have reported on it? Especially if it is, as was pointed out above, "dehumanizing"?

. . . I'm just sayin' :rolleyes:

Folks. I DO not want this thread to turn into another Epic bathroom debate. I was simply pointing out some similarities to european bathrooms as was mentioned several times in other posts. As has been stated many times...some love the layout, some hate it, and some couldn't care less about it. Let's leave it at that (at least in this thread) and enjoy the uncanny similarities between the Park Hotel and the Epic

Sorry, but I don't get it, and I even made the effort to view the overhead photos and videos on the NCL site. Placing areas where bodily functions that are best kept private in full or partial view of anyone and everyone is not modern, it is regressive and in some ways dehumanizing.

The videos, by the way, do their best to minimize what would be a turn-off for many.

I don't think it is prudish at all to consider defecation something that should not have an audience.

As long as there is a toiletdoor (it's milkglass, you can not see through it, so no audience), I'm fine,

as said, different people, different points of view.

Folks. I DO not want this thread to turn into another Epic bathroom debate. I was simply pointing out some similarities to european bathrooms as was mentioned several times in other posts. As has been stated many times...some love the layout, some hate it, and some couldn't care less about it. Let's leave it at that (at least in this thread) and enjoy the uncanny similarities between the Park Hotel and the Epic

Mike nice photo's.

I noticed that the sink in the hotel was much 'wider' than the Epic.

Are you sure about the similarities in room setup? I think there was more storage on the Epic plus for $200 euro a night

I doubt you get your meals at the hotel did you? Plus the hotel didn't have BMG in their lobby did they? Nope I think the

Epic was a better value than your hotel...

ok..since you live there, maybe you can explain this giant sculpture outside of Lelystad. I'm sure it's not what it looks like. hahaha. This thing is nearly 100 feet high, I think

IMG_0670-vi.jpg

Where's the curtain to pull and give this guy some privacy? :cool:

Or maybe it's NOT the poo poo man -

Maybe it's a statue erected of how you should position yourself

in order to keep your feet from extending over the end of the bed? :p

World English Dictionary

similar (ˈsɪmɪlə)

— adj

--Showing resemblance in qualities, characteristics, or appearance; alike but not identical

What is it about the "alike but not identical" part that people can't seem to get past? :rolleyes:

On our last land trip, we stopped at a very economical motel chain we had not tried before. The layout and design was outstanding for obtaining the most economical use of space. I thought it a little small, but it was larger than the 200Euro room and had a pocket door on the camode. My son says the 3rd brand up by that corp. is very nice so we may try it next time.

Archived