Can i bring a power strip on board

dwing18

It has been a year since I have cruised.

Last time I brought a mini power strip on board and it was very useful.

I had heard a rumor that it would get confiscated this time around.

Any truth to this??

You can bring a power strip on board if it is packed with a medical device, such as a CPAP.

You are permitted to bring a power strip on board for whatever reason, there's no need for it to be associated with a medical device.

From the Carnival FAQs:

· Electronics such as laptops, cameras, cellular phones, etc. are allowed on board when used with proper caution.

· Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark

:)

From Carnival FAQ:

• Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?icid=CC_Footer_88#q-544510

You are permitted to bring a power strip on board for whatever reason, there's no need for it to be associated with a medical device.

From the Carnival FAQs:

· Electronics such as laptops, cameras, cellular phones, etc. are allowed on board when used with proper caution.

· Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark

We were on the 09/18 sailing of the Dream new power strip in laptop bag was taken. Spoke with purser's to no avail. They did bring me a 50foot orange extension cord.

It seems that the people at the scanners are not aware of what is allowed New laptop and new power strip. The woman screening also said it was a new power strip so obviously it would not cause a problem.

It seems that everyone is not on the same page.

Where is the quote that power strips that do not pose an electrical hazard are allowed? will print it off for my January cruise

Thanks

pat

multi plug box outlets/adaptors

We do bring these. They function similar to a power strip but are much simpler. There is no power cord and they do not contain a switch or circuit breaker.

They essentially turn one plug into three. It's helpful if you have numerous electronics that need to be re-charged, like cell phones, iPods, and a laptop.

Of those, only the laptop will draw any amperage above a negligible level.

No one cares if you have two iPods and a cell phone all plugged in to the same outlet because there is next to no current draw.

If you have a fan or a medical device, or heaven forbid a blender, iron, or anything else with a motor or a heating element, you could cause serious problems.

The multi-plug itself draws zero current and is not a problem. It is what you plug into it that is a problem. So be wise and do not plug anything in your cabin that takes much current.

So what is the best way to bring the power strip onboard? I use one of the little Belkin surge protectors with 3 outlets and 2 USB connections that was recommended on these boards. I lost the charger for my Blackberry and the only way I can charge it is using the USB connection. Also I use it to charge my iPod. Should I make sure to carry this in my carry-on so I can plead my case before they confiscate it?

So what is the best way to bring the power strip onboard? I use one of the little Belkin surge protectors with 3 outlets and 2 USB connections that was recommended on these boards. I lost the charger for my Blackberry and the only way I can charge it is using the USB connection. Also I use it to charge my iPod. Should I make sure to carry this in my carry-on so I can plead my case before they confiscate it?

I think this is the key. Most of the confiscations I've read about have occurred in the checked-on luggage. I have a similar contraption as you and I plan to carry it on.

Our Belkin was new in the box. We carried it on with our camera and iPhone chargers. Nothing was said. Hopefully it will be the same on our next cruise.

We sailed on the Dream last month & the power strip got taken. Brought booze onboard in embarkment & in Belize, but Power strip was taken. It was given back the last night, so it's worth to at least try to get it on board.

Just got off the Fascination this morning. Brought along a 3 socket power strip. Now I understand why I kept finding my power strip unplugged and lying on the desk each morning after our cabin was cleaned!:eek: I never saw that policy and have always brought along that small power strip on every other line I've sailed (this was our very first Carnival cruise.)

From the Carnival FAQs:

From what I have read here lately, you could just sail through with it, and then again...maybe not. Prepare to fight for it if it means that much to you.

We were on the 09/18 sailing of the Dream new power strip in laptop bag was taken. Spoke with purser's to no avail. They did bring me a 50foot orange extension cord.

It seems that the people at the scanners are not aware of what is allowed New laptop and new power strip. The woman screening also said it was a new power strip so obviously it would not cause a problem.

It seems that everyone is not on the same page.

Where is the quote that power strips that do not pose an electrical hazard are allowed? will print it off for my January cruise

Thanks

pat

On the Dream - the power strip went right through. On the Sensation, the next week, it was confiscated. We were told that it was because the older ships could not handle as much of a power drain as the new ships.

We sailed on the Dream last month & the power strip got taken. Brought booze onboard in embarkment & in Belize, but Power strip was taken. It was given back the last night, so it's worth to at least try to get it on board.

I can't tell you how PISSED I get hearing that this CRAP is still happening. :mad:

My fan was taken last month on the Destiny. If I had not threatened to DISEMBARK prior to leaving Miami, I likely would not have had it returned. I told them "my fan must be returned, or I leave the ship.. AND Carnival for good". I am not sure if having almost 50 sailings with them tipped the scales in my favor... but they REALLY need to get their &*^% together and see that these items are REALLY evaluated to see if they pose a risk, and let those in good operating condition PASS back through to the guest... AS THE POLICY WAS INTENDED to work!!

:mad:

FREAKIN' IDIOTS...

Tom

From Carnival FAQ:

• Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?icid=CC_Footer_88#q-544510

On the 9-19 sailing of the Legend from Tampa, we had a fan and extension cord. It got to our cabin ok. The 2 bottles of champagne did not.

I can't tell you how PISSED I get hearing that this CRAP is still happening. :mad:

My fan was taken last month on the Destiny. If I had not threatened to DISEMBARK prior to leaving Miami, I likely would not have had it returned. I told them "my fan must be returned, or I leave the ship.. AND Carnival for good". I am not sure if having almost 50 sailings with them tipped the scales in my favor... but they REALLY need to get their &*^% together and see that these items are REALLY evaluated to see if they pose a risk, and let those in good operating condition PASS back through to the guest... AS THE POLICY WAS INTENDED to work!!

:mad:

FREAKIN' IDIOTS...

Tom

Wow - you must feel so good.

I took a power strip in my carry on and no one questioned it...however...they did ask me if my husband (who wasnt even cruising with us) was a hunter. :confused: I thought I was not hearing them correctly, but they repeated the question..they said it looks like bullets here, and here and here...I assured them my husband was no hunter, and hated guns therefore had no need for bullets. LOL...turns out after they had a supervisor take a closer look (why not just open it up and take a look??), and he said, those are batteries! I had several little hand held personal fans each holding two batteries! LOL

I took on board: 2 fans (one electric and one not), a extension cord - packed with my nebulizer and a 3 in 1 plug. No one blinked an eye. The only thing I took on board that was not checked was the extension cord and that was because I hand carried my nebulizer. So who knows. I say try it and see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...
It has been a year since I have cruised.

Last time I brought a mini power strip on board and it was very useful.

I had heard a rumor that it would get confiscated this time around.

Any truth to this??

I just cruised on the Liberty 10-16/10-23 and brought a "UL" approved extension cord with me in my CPAP bag. My wife and I also like to sleep with one of those sound machines. We unplugged the television every night and plugged the sound machine in to that plug. It really wasn't too cumbersome. The next time I will have a multiple head plug inside my CPAP bag. Also, I emailed Carnival early in the process about the requirement for my CPAP and BROUGHT A COPY OF THE EMAIL ANSWER with us when we checked in! Enjoy tour cruise :D

DH and I both use CPAPs, so it looks like we're gonna need the multiple outlet as well as a power strip. Don't see how we could go a week without using our CPAPs, so you can bet we'll be raising h*** if ours don't make it through.

Archived