SEATTLE R/T Cruise - Flight questions - Princess cruise

Sunnycruiser

We are doing a RT cruise out of Seattle. Princess either the Diamond or Sapphire. We are flying in the day that the ship is leaving (from Georgia). Bad idea? We are planning on leaving early in the am - Additionally on the way back what is the earliest flight that we can reserve? Should we be looking at flights after 12:00 p.m. or is possible to make an earlier flight?

I would look at Delta's 8:30am ATL-SEA nonstop, arrives around 11am - plenty of time, then returning you might try for the noon SEA-ATL nonstop, arrives around 7:30pm (remember the time change works against you); or else there's a 3pm Delta flight that arrives at 10:30pm.

Or better, enjoy a night coming or going in our fair city.

Booking your flight the day of the cruise is really taking a chance. You never know when there might be a weather delay or other problem that would get you there late. If you haven't booked through the cruise line you are just out of luck if you miss the ship. They will not wait for you nor will they refund your money if you miss the boat. We book our own air but always go a day or more early just in case. You save more than enough to pay for a night in a hotel and a few meals.

I have a friend who missed her ship last year because of weather problems. Fortunately she had booked through the cruise line and even though the ship left without her party of 6, the cruise line put them up for 2 nights in Seattle and flew them to Juneau to meet up with the ship.

We were on the Diamond last May and it is a beautiful ship. You can see pictures of the ship and the cruise on the link below.

Several years ago I was seated in front of a woman who was frantic that she was not going to make her connection to get to Seattle to board her ship. We were on a plane stopped on the tarmac due to electrical problems for about an hour. Apparently the connection was tight so she was on the phone trying to find another airline with a schedule that would get her to Seattle from the connecting city in time to get to the ship. Plus, her family was already there, so more frantic phone calls.

Anyway, I vowed right then that I would always get to departure city a day early. Even if I couldn't get there in time to enjoy the city, I'd get there the night before and be sure I was not going to miss a minute of cruise time. Even if you have to go out the night before, you can find a less expensive hotel near the airport, spend a peaceful night, and start your adventure as soon as you wake!

We are doing a RT cruise out of Seattle. Princess either the Diamond or Sapphire. We are flying in the day that the ship is leaving (from Georgia). Bad idea? We are planning on leaving early in the am - Additionally on the way back what is the earliest flight that we can reserve? Should we be looking at flights after 12:00 p.m. or is possible to make an earlier flight?

Hi!

If you can, I suggest going in a day early. Potential pitfalls for same day travel? The airline might cancel your flight, departure times might change between now and your flight/sail date, weather might cause a diversion or delay, etc. In addition, there is no substitute for getting a good night's sleep, enjoying a nice breakfast, and having the peace of mind that the ship is only a cab ride away!

For your return, I have never sailed from Seattle so I will defer to the those experienced with the logistics. Could you spend a day or two in Seattle and fly out on a day when there is no cruise ship crush at the airport? That way you could enjoy the city and make an unhurried trip home. We did that last time in Vancouver and really enjoyed knowing we were not part of the mad scramble!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree about going a day early. Until this year, we had gone the day of the cruise, gotten a very early flight, but after a cancelled flight, delayed flight, sitting on the tarmac, and walking into the terminal at 4:00 (deadline), we vowed to always go a day ahead.

Would never never plan to fly to West Coast cruise departure from east coast on day the ship sails.. we fly into port a day early no matter where but on this cruise you will find it well worth it to go ahead.. even if you can't go early enough to do any sightseeing in Seattle the day prior there are relatively inexpensive hotels out near the airport where you could bunk for the night if you have a late evening flight and then go to the ship in the a.m. Re the return we have 12:05p.m flight (also on Diamond P) and were told not to book a return flight before 11:00 a.m. IMHO that is cutting it a tad close but the extra hour you should be fine. They do have early disembark for flights before 1:00 and you can also take your own luggage off on many Princess sailings that gets you off much earlier.

Let me make it unanimus in voting for arriving a day earlier. Why push fate??. Just say you are delayed and you just make the ship, GREAT, but I'd be willing to bet that you will be completely tuckered out and not be able to enjoy that first exciting night on board. Why not just relax, get in a day early. As was said, there are several motels arounf $50.00 a night by the airport in seatttle. You can now get to the ship early and have lunch on board and get to know the ship before hand. I know when we cruise, we just can't wait to get on board, not be the last one there. Everyone may like to live on the eadge, but why chance it for a few extra dollars.

Archived