Pregnant and cruising?

parrotthead

I cruised at 14 weeks pregnant last year and had to bring a dr. note stating my due date so they could verify how far along I was. Best cruise ever!!! I wouldn't risk being denied boarding by not having a note. I thought it was a question I had to fill out on the fun pass...I'm sure I could of just gotten by and had no one question it, but that to me is very irresponsible if something were to happen on the ship. They need to know you're pregnant! Too many what ifs...

You cannot judge how far along a person is by what their stomachs look like. I have met people at 20 weeks not showing, while I look like I am carrying twins at 16 weeks with this second pregnancy!!

Why would anyone NOT notify Carnival of a pregnancy? If you're too far along to go, then you could risk being found out and turned away at the pier. If you're within the guidelines, why hide it?

I think that it should be a required question for anyone under a set age, say 45. That would solve the embarrasing part. Any female would get asked, period. I can't believe they don't make it a required question somewhere. It could even be on the Fun Pass to fill out before cruising, so there's no surprises at the pier.

Why would anyone NOT notify Carnival of a pregnancy? If you're too far along to go, then you could risk being found out and turned away at the pier. If you're within the guidelines, why hide it?

I think that it should be a required question for anyone under a set age, say 45. That would solve the embarrasing part. Any female would get asked, period. I can't believe they don't make it a required question somewhere. It could even be on the Fun Pass to fill out before cruising, so there's no surprises at the pier.

Our TA always asks us if anyone in our group is pregnant.......only after we had one in our group that was and wasn't aware of the rule and was detained until her doctor faxed her a note........and she was over 25 weeks.....now it's a running joke with our group:D

Edited by Kurbanfan

Our TA always asks us if anyone in our group is pregnant.......only after we had one in our group that was and wasn't aware of the rule and was detained until her doctor faxed her a note........and she was over 25 weeks.....now it's a running joke with our group:D

did they let her on?

did they ask her at check in...

(what if she had said, "NO Im not Pregnant, Im just Fat!!"--lol)

did they let her on?

did they ask her at check in...

(what if she had said, "NO Im not Pregnant, Im just Fat!!"--lol)

At check in they said "Oh I see you are pregnant, when are you due?"

(she looked pregnant not fat)

When she told them they said she was too far along and sent her to another desk. They told her to call her doctor and have him fax over the ok. The doctor did and she had to sign a waiver stating the cruiseline was not responsible if something were to happen in regards to her pregnancy.....and she boarded with me and her dh since I waited with them......

Edited by Kurbanfan

I went when I was 20 weeks pg. I talked to the ob when I found out I was pg about my pending trip. He gave me the ok but had to see him the week before I left. If you get any massages, tell them you are pg because of the oils that penetrate your skin. Spa people told me couldn't use if pg. The sea bands worked for most of the motion sickness (except during storm). I had never gotten motion sick before but I did then, don't know if because was pg or not.

I cruised when I was 21 weeks pregnant. I had a note, but no one ever asked.

Here's our boarding pic, I think I look pregnant, but if you didn't know me maybe you wouldn't!?

24 weeks is the week viability. Therefore, if I woman were to go into labor on the ship, Carnival does not want to be liable for not having the medical equipment to sustain a live premature birth. All legal and liability stuff.

I have a friend who is asked frequently about being pregnant. She just have a big gut, and some would assume she's around 6 months. There is nothing wrong with her, that's just wear she gains her weight. She has nice legs, just a big tummy :(

5076326794_57e88185ce_z.jpg

Why would anyone NOT notify Carnival of a pregnancy?

Sometimes people don't think it's an issue because pregnancy is a normal part of life so they wouldn't even know they need to check the rules for traveling while pregnant. OR they book months/years in advance when they aren't pregnant and then forget to check to see if it will be a problem for their already booked cruise.

But sometimes it's because they think they'll get away with it and don't think the risks will apply to them.:rolleyes:

If someone knowingly "sneaks" on while pregnant....then cruise line is covered. "You didn't have our permission - so it's your problem not ours." This wouldn't even come up unless there was a lawsuit, I am sure. While onboard, any medical professional would do what they could to assist the mother if a problem surfaced.

I think the more interesting question is a person who is less than the maximum number of weeks gestation, has all the proper permission slips, and then sadly has a problem onboard....whose responsibility is it then? Can the expectant mother say, "You said it was okay, and look at the trouble I am in now?" I think that is the point of the doctor's note - a medical professional has given the "all clear" so the cruise line is pretty safe....and NO ONE wants to catch that hot potato after that magic number of weeks. (is it 24? 25?)

Interestingly - as far as I know, they don't require a note from a heart patient's cardiologist. Who takes on that liability?

Maddle

I'll be cruising Thanksgiving weekend, and will be 15 weeks along. I'll also be cruising New Year's weekend, and will be 23 weeks along. Got a dr's note for both cruises, but will still make sure that all is well before each cruise. I didn't buy cruise insurance in time for the first cruise, but plan to get it for the second cruise especially since I'll be much further along. It'll be interesting to see if they ask me for my dr's note or not. Regardless, they've been faxed and I've confirmed that they've received them.

If someone knowingly "sneaks" on while pregnant....then cruise line is covered. "You didn't have our permission - so it's your problem not ours." This wouldn't even come up unless there was a lawsuit, I am sure. While onboard, any medical professional would do what they could to assist the mother if a problem surfaced.

I think the more interesting question is a person who is less than the maximum number of weeks gestation, has all the proper permission slips, and then sadly has a problem onboard....whose responsibility is it then? Can the expectant mother say, "You said it was okay, and look at the trouble I am in now?" I think that is the point of the doctor's note - a medical professional has given the "all clear" so the cruise line is pretty safe....and NO ONE wants to catch that hot potato after that magic number of weeks. (is it 24? 25?)

Interestingly - as far as I know, they don't require a note from a heart patient's cardiologist. Who takes on that liability?

Maddle

Good Points! Excellent post!

I am just thinking with Early Saver, you book 'early' ( Im booked on Magic November 2011--and am booking Spirit April 2012) so you book sometimes a year or so out, who knows what can happen in that time --and the deposit is "NonRefundable"... so *if someone bookes and then becomes preg... then what? they cant go>? what if they find out 'too late' ---soooo.....

just brings up a lot of questions... what if the cruise falls at 25-1/2 weeks... ???

I'll be cruising Thanksgiving weekend, and will be 15 weeks along. I'll also be cruising New Year's weekend, and will be 23 weeks along. Got a dr's note for both cruises, but will still make sure that all is well before each cruise. I didn't buy cruise insurance in time for the first cruise, but plan to get it for the second cruise especially since I'll be much further along. It'll be interesting to see if they ask me for my dr's note or not. Regardless, they've been faxed and I've confirmed that they've received them.

8 weeks between Thanksgiving and New Year's?:confused:

Travelling at 25 weeks pregnant isn't considered "dangerous". The reason the cruise line won't let you travel after this date is that a fetus is considered viable after 24 weeks, meaning that it has a survivability rate but would require immediate interventions, which would not be possible on board a ship. A fetus under 24 weeks is not considered viable, so even in a state of the art facility they would not do any interventions, therefore the risk is low for the cruise line. If something were to go "wrong" and you were further along in your pregnancy then you admitted to then your insurance would be void and you would have to incur any costs including being airlifted of the ship.

Sorry if this sounds too clinical, just trying to be factual. I am a nurse and travelled at 12 weeks pregnant so looked into this extensively, hopes this helps.

Fifteen years ago I cruised on Carnival when I was 24-26 weeks pregnant with my first child. The doctor gave me his OK and a note. I told my travel agent I was pregnant, but I'm not sure if he told Carnival. Carnival never asked for the note or said a word to me, and I was definitely showing at that point.

• 6 years later...

You could pass as just being slightly heavy for people who do not know you

I cruised when I was 21 weeks pregnant. I had a note, but no one ever asked.

Here's our boarding pic, I think I look pregnant, but if you didn't know me maybe you wouldn't!?

24 weeks is the week viability. Therefore, if I woman were to go into labor on the ship, Carnival does not want to be liable for not having the medical equipment to sustain a live premature birth. All legal and liability stuff.

I have a friend who is asked frequently about being pregnant. She just have a big gut, and some would assume she's around 6 months. There is nothing wrong with her, that's just wear she gains her weight. She has nice legs, just a big tummy :(

5076326794_57e88185ce_z.jpg

I was on the Sunshine February of this year (2017), At check in the lady asked me for a form in my check in package stating if I was pregnant or not. She could look at me and tell I wasn't. She said she had to ask and make sure the form was filled out. I'M A 57 YEAR OLD MALE.

Get a grip guys does it really matter how old the thread is -- Is it hurting you that this thread got brought back up

you replied to a person from a 7 year old thread that hasn't been on cruise critic in 5 years... why?

it matters because you replied to a person as if the person is actually going to see it and respond. All you did was make a comment about how to get away with being pregnant... was that important enough to resurrect a 7 year old thread and why quote a person who's no longer here.