Safety in Turkey

Smile600

Well, we are booked on the July25th sailing of the Galaxy. I know that in the past, if there is trouble, the cruise lines have cancelled ports. I feeel relatively safe with this, but I do not know if I would do a complete Turkey trip. This cruise is mostly Greece.

You just have to be aware of your surroundings, just like any place else. Don't go around looking too much like an American. Don't wear red/white/blue, be respectful of their customs and you should be fine. I find that dressing more discretely helps a lot. I wore long pants with long sleeved blouses, or long skirts and long sleeved tops and a hat to cover my hair whenever I toured. Since this is a Muslim country, it's really important for women to dress conservatively.

The best advice I can think of for this port is "Don't miss the ship". There are many ports in Europe where missing the ship is no big deal because of the excellent train system. This makes it is easy to get to the next port if a problem develops. Unfortunately getting from Greek Island to Island is very difficult by train, especially in Turkey. Tim

Archived