Oahu- Polynesian Cultural Center

Kayelache

We will have one day in Oahu while on Holland America's Rotterdam on Nov. 29, and will be in port from morning until 11 PM. We would like very much to visit PCC and attend the evening "show." The ship offers a shore excursion there for $189, which is a little expensive, but the ship sails at 11 and I'm afraid that if we were to arrange private transportation, we would take a chance on returning to the ship in time. The one company I contacted said return to the pier was at 10:30-10:45, which is just too close for confort. Has anyone had experience with a problem like this? I suppose we could spend the day there, and miss the evening performance, but it is a highlight, I am told. Any suggestions???

We would also like to do the luau on Maui, but budget won't allow both that and the HAL shore excusion to PCC.

We will have one day in Oahu while on Holland America's Rotterdam on Nov. 29, and will be in port from morning until 11 PM. We would like very much to visit PCC and attend the evening "show." The ship offers a shore excursion there for $189, which is a little expensive, but the ship sails at 11 and I'm afraid that if we were to arrange private transportation, we would take a chance on returning to the ship in time. The one company I contacted said return to the pier was at 10:30-10:45, which is just too close for confort. Has anyone had experience with a problem like this? I suppose we could spend the day there, and miss the evening performance, but it is a highlight, I am told. Any suggestions???

We would also like to do the luau on Maui, but budget won't allow both that and the HAL shore excusion to PCC.

We went to the PCC this past summer. We left from Waikiki on a PCC sponsored Mini-Bus. (30 passenger vs. 57 for the motor coaches). We did not get back to our hotels until after 11:00 p.m.. It may be a little quicker to the pier than Waikiki, but I am like you... I would be nervous about missing the ship.

Even though the Ships tour is more expensive, the peace of mind knowing that the ship will wait may be worth the difference. The PCC is a wonderful place and extremely educational and informative. (don't miss the presentation at the Samoa exhibit...it is the best one!)

I echo the sentiments of those who say check out Roberts Hawaii Tours at http://www.gorabbitgo.com. We toured almost exclusively with them on our cruise this summer and they told me that in 3 years they have never missed a sailing in any port. (and they guarantee you will make the ship or they will pay for you to catch up with the ship.)

Why don't you take a look at the polynesian cultural center web sight. Then you can compare what they offer as a tour and what the ship is offering. We will be in Oahua a couple of days before our curise on the poa in May and so far it looks like it is going to cost us 150.00 dollars a piece to spend the day at the Polynesian Cultural Center. 120 for the ambassador and another 25-30 for transportation from waikiki to the center I would go for the ship tour as the show does not end until late and we really don't like to drive at night on windy roads when we really don't know where we are going.

Archived