skyline trail from Sydney, Cape Breton in one day?

drbabe

Husband and 14 yo son will be in Sydney 10/19/10 from 9AM - 6 PM. They are both in good condition, able to hike. Renting a car is an option.

From what I've read, Skyline trail is the most spectacular of the trails in the park. Would it be feasible for them to drive to Cheticamp and do the hike? Would driving through Baddeck be the route to take? Is there currently construction on that road that would slow them down?

If this is not feasible, what would be the next best scenic drive/hike for them to do in the available time?

Husband and 14 yo son will be in Sydney 10/19/10 from 9AM - 6 PM. They are both in good condition, able to hike. Renting a car is an option.

From what I've read, Skyline trail is the most spectacular of the trails in the park. Would it be feasible for them to drive to Cheticamp and do the hike? Would driving through Baddeck be the route to take? Is there currently construction on that road that would slow them down?

If this is not feasible, what would be the next best scenic drive/hike for them to do in the available time?

It would be about 5 hours driving for a 2-3 hour hike. Not sure that it would be worthwhile. We did it during a 4 day visit to cape Breton. Got up close and almost personal with a moose. Only other hike was to the tip of the point at the Keltic Lodge. Still a long drive.

I must agree with the above. You just don't have time to safely get to the good parts of the Cabot Trail. The Skyline Trail is spectacular and you will have to come back on a land trip to experience it and the many other things Cape Breton has to offer.

A good scenic drive is to Baddeck, then Iona and back on back roads:

http://*******/cJN0Ng

Go on Tripadvisor and ask about hiking.

• 2 weeks later...

Your excursion will not do the complete Cabot Trail in that little time. Read the information carefully. I have read of excursions called something like "a taste" of the Cabot Trail. This goes only as far as Ingonish where you go to lunch and shopping at Keltic Lodge and then turn around and go back to Sydney. While this part of the trail has some interesting scenery, it is far from the best part in my opinion and you will waste precious time at lunch and shopping.

You simply do not have enough time to drive around the trail with such a short time in port. Just the driving would take 5 hours and 39 minutes according to Google Maps: http://goo.gl/maps/6pGA

You can do a search here in the ports section for Canada to find previous posts about excursions in Sydney.

Your excursion will not do the complete Cabot Trail in that little time. Read the information carefully. I have read of excursions called something like "a taste" of the Cabot Trail. This goes only as far as Ingonish where you go to lunch and shopping at Keltic Lodge and then turn around and go back to Sydney. While this part of the trail has some interesting scenery, it is far from the best part in my opinion and you will waste precious time at lunch and shopping.

You simply do not have enough time to drive around the trail with such a short time in port. Just the driving would take 5 hours and 39 minutes according to Google Maps: http://goo.gl/maps/6pGA

You can do a search here in the ports section for Canada to find previous posts about excursions in Sydney.

Thank you for the feedback. Since the Canadian cruises in summer & fall can be dreadfully expensive, I'm going in May which limits my choices as well. Louisbourg fort isn't open for one thing.

Whatever I do, I'll should enjoy myself.

Also let me tell you just how I loved Halifax NS ! I went there last year and visited Peggy's Cove and the citadel. What a cool fort ! So much is within walking distance !

Out of my ports of call on 11 cruises, the people in Halifax and Saint John were probably the nicest. The Maasdam visits there next year, so I will need to select something new.

A return trip to the fort could be in the works....HAL offers a high tea in the officers quarters. Plus the maritime museum and other waterfront attractions are within walking distance.

What a crying shame that Fortress Louisbourg isn't open in May. That would be my first choice. I have to second others here on the advice to head down to Baddeck and on to Iona. The scenery around Iona is spectacular, and if the Highland Village is open, it's a great "living museum". We did the Cabot from Baddeck to Neil's Harbour with stops on either side of Ingonish. It took us four hours, and was well worth it. If you're really determined to do the Cabot from Sydney, just go as far as Ingonish Beach. It's still a great trip. If you have Scottish ancestry, the Gaelic College in St. Anns has a cool museum.

What a crying shame that Fortress Louisbourg isn't open in May. That would be my first choice. I have to second others here on the advice to head down to Baddeck and on to Iona. The scenery around Iona is spectacular, and if the Highland Village is open, it's a great "living museum". We did the Cabot from Baddeck to Neil's Harbour with stops on either side of Ingonish. It took us four hours, and was well worth it. If you're really determined to do the Cabot from Sydney, just go as far as Ingonish Beach. It's still a great trip. If you have Scottish ancestry, the Gaelic College in St. Anns has a cool museum.

thanks again !

I'm not 100% sure about Louisbourg being closed in May, just what remember reading on HAL's web-site. As I recall HAL doesn't offer the tour in May, but perhaps I'm mistaken.

• 3 weeks later...

Good news...Louisbourg IS offered on my cruise so I booked it. I took you people's good advice about the Cabot Trail. It being too far for the time available. The tour listed is a "taste" of Cabot Trail which I took to mean...not much.

The Louisbourg tour included a walking tour, a meal, and weapons & crafts demonstration.

I wish to see more than the inside of a coach.

Thanks to everyone for the inside scoop !

Archived