We and our friends have booked this hotel in April for pre-cruise, mainly

because of the location. We want to do the water-taxi bit and be close to

the port for departure. Since booking, I have seen negative reviews and am

having second thoughts. Has anyone stayed there lately and if so, what was

it like. There are several other options in our price range but they are

not necessarily near the water-taxi route. Any and all ideas, suggestions

and comments greatly appreciated.

Cliff

In over a year of following this thread about hotels, I have never seen a good report on the Best Western Marina and have seen many, many negative reports. Many CC'ers use Priceline for pre and post-cruise stays in Ft. Lauderdale. If you bid successfully the Downtown area, you will get a hotel that is probably just as convenient to the Water Taxi stop. If you are not familar with Priceline, I would strongly suggest using BiddingForTravel.com for a wealth of information on bidding. You can check this site to determine which hotels are being obtained and what amount is likely to be a successful bid.

In May, 2002, we bid $95 and got the Hyatt 66. It is an excellent hotel located just accross the street form the BW Marina.

Good luck!

Trust what your reading, its way past its prime. One poster said to bring a tent, pitch it in the parking lot because its cleaner then the rooms.

You can catch the water taxi from the Renaissance, Marriott Marina, Hyatt Pier 66, Doubletree, Radisson. Its a short walk from Embassy Suites, Amerisuites, Sheraton Yankee Trader, Marriott Beach Place.

Bequia: I just want to thank you for the info you give us in regards to hotel conditions etc. It sure helps that a "local" can steer us in the right direction. Again thanks so much.

Marilyn

P.S. I have been reading all of the comments on here in regards to hotel as we are flying there next year for a cruise and I just want to be informed.

Bequia: I just want to thank you for the info you give us in regards to hotel conditions etc. It sure helps that a "local" can steer us in the right direction. Again thanks so much.

Marilyn

No problem. I would trust any info you provided me if I were to travel your way someday, thats what this board is all about.;)

I stayed there 3 times last year.[my daughter went to the art college across the bridge but she trans. in july because of the weather] the place is a dump

it smells like mold but the canel side is not as bad as the pool side.the breakfast is a roll and coffee.but the free shuttle is nice thats why my dh

made me stay there.we also stay at the maroitt across the bridge . nicer and a taxi to there is about 13 dollars and to the port is about 5-7 bucks[ we had to go on a cruise when we visited her.the water taxi is right by the mariott marina. there is many hotels nicer in that area.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone that posted about the Best Western Marina. DH and I booked a 2 day pre and 1 day post for Dec 2005 but I am going to change that reservation. I can't believe that my TA from AAA told me to go there. Do they get perks for sending people there?

I love this board and will do what I can to support other peoples questions as well.

Mary

I don't know about any perks, but most TAs have never seen any of these hotels in person and are only going by what they see online or in a book.

I definitely agree with the others, that Best Western is well past it's sell by date!

I live in the area and if you want something across from Port Everglades I would recommend the RENAISSANCE... http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/FLLBR

Or if you want a nice new Beachfront hotel the Pelican Beach Resort... http://www.pelicanbeach.com/

Thanks, although it is going to cost me a total of $50 to change two (expedia.com)reservations for pre and post cruise it should be worth it if I can win a good price from priceline. I chaulk it all up to experience and I need some. I'm going to start bidding at $60 for a downtown or zone 4, 3* and see what happens. We are not going until Dec 1st so we have plenty of time.

Mary from Wisconsin

I love priceline. Bid 3* downtown and got the Marriott Hotel and Marina for March 19th for $75, happy. Needed another hotel room for one night, kept bidding 3* downtown and was rejected. Finally put in 3* beach and downtown zones, got the Radisson for $100, happy with these two hotels and priceline.

Good luck to you, I think you will be happy.

I love priceline. Bid 3* downtown and got the Marriott Hotel and Marina for March 19th for $75, happy. Needed another hotel room for one night, kept bidding 3* downtown and was rejected. Finally put in 3* beach and downtown zones, got the Radisson for $100, happy with these two hotels and priceline.

Good luck to you, I think you will be happy.

My DH and I are going down in Oct for 1 night pre-cruise. We are trying to determine most cost effective way of transporting 3 people from airport to hotel and then hotel to pier. Do most Hotels have shuttle service? I hate to pay for a cheap room then spend a bunch on transportation! What's your advice?

If you go to www.sunny.org (Ft. Lauderdale Tourism site), their Hotels list

is quite extensive and allows you to check all the amenities offered by each

hotel through the individual websites. Most of those near the airport and cruiseport

offer free shuttle service to/from both but not all. Also, many offer breakfast (some even

offer full b'fast) but again not all do.

If you bid downtown and/or beach zones of Ft. Lauderdale, everything is very close and taxi rides shouldn't cost you more than $10 - $15 per cab ride. Lots of hotels do offer shuttles from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the pier. With the money you save on priceline, the taxi cab ride costs are almost non-existent.

I love priceline and for one pre-cruise stay I received the Marriott Hotel and Marina for $75. This hotel does not have a shuttle service from the airport to the hotel, BUT does offer a shuttle service from the hotel to the pier. Taxi cab ride is very inexpensive.

Another night I need a pre-cruise stay and got the Radisson. This hotel does not offer any shuttles, but the cab rides, again, are inexpensive compared to the money we saved on the hotel.

If you bid downtown and beach zones of Ft. Lauderdale, 3* or better, this should put you close to the airport and pier with your hotel.

Here are 2 websites which are wonderful for first time priceline users: http://www.biddingfortravel.com and http://www.biddingforfun.com

Just remember on priceline, there are no guarantee's of which hotel you will receive, but so far I have been very pleased with my hotel's I have received from priceline with how I have bid.

Good luck.

Archived