Fort Lauderdale hotles narrowed down. . .

jenmouse

I have been looking into Fort Lauderdale hotels. I posted a while back asking for ideas, and was provided with a list, which I have since managed to narrow down. I think it is between the Lago Mar and the Pelican Grand. I am interested in which you would recommend, and why?

A little feedback - we will have a group of 11 ranging from 4-70 years old. My husband wants to stay at a hotel on the beach, and I think an ocean front room would be a big plus to him as well. It looks like they both have onsite dining options that would be compatible with us having kids and/or picky eaters in the group. The Lago Mar is double the price for an oceanfront view. No big deal for us, and if my father-in-law balks, he can get a pool view room at the Lago Mar for close to the same price as an oceanfront at the Pelican Grand. Is it worth it to stay there?

How are they as far as proximity to the airport and/or cruise port? Also, we will be checking in around 2 PM (no choice with the flight times). Any good or bad stories about trying to check in early?

Thank you all for your help. Since I am planning for several families, I don't want to take any chances on making a bad choice!! :o

***sorry, that should be "hotels" in the heading!!***

hi

I have stayed at both hotels and both are very nice and very expensive.

The lago mar is closer to town and you can walk to get to restaurants, walgreens or whatever else is available.

the Pelican is further out and not near anything but is beautiful.

are you driving and have a car or taking a taxi

it depends on how long you are staying at the hotel.

I do remember though if you stay at the pelican be sure to say you want the new hotel part and not the old one - the web pictures are beautiful and the rooms do look the web

Pelican has a nice pool and beautiful beach also.

so I guess it depends on all of the above

I think the Pelican is much further than the Lago Mar - you could go on mapquest and put in both hotel names and the name of the airport and this would help.

any other questions just let me know

I hope this helps

so all in all which did I like better - liked them both

carol

I have been to the Pelican Grand about 4 times for lunch at both the restaurant and the bar that overlooks the pool. I am familiar with the location of the Lago Mar but I haven't been there, as I believe that it is for hotel guests and members only. The Lago Mar is very close to the cruise port, about a mile from the entrance, and is the closest beach resort to the airport. It is older but is a larger property than the Pelican Grand. The Pelican is about 4 miles north of the port entrance. I have found the service in Pelican's food service venues to be poor and the food to be decent but nothing special. I like to sit on the porch in the rocking chairs, and they have an old fashioned ice cream parlor. Neither hotel is a reasonable walk to anything. I think that the beach by the Lago Mar is larger/wider than the Pelican's. The Pelican does have a lagoon pool that kids love. I hope this information is hopeful.

Archived