Ecstasy going to VeraCruz?

tjwcs

Everyone on the ship was VERY disappointed about the change in iteinerary... especially the first time cruisers. We decided to be positive and look at it as experiencing a new port but really wished we could have gone to Cozumel. Carnival did give everyone 20 percent off for a future cruise which we are already planning.

I would be more than satisfied with that! I like visiting ports that are very representative of the way those folks actually live. Auckland NZ was great, so was Cocksburn Sound Australia - went straight to Perth! <- mmm, good beer, Swan Lager is every young sailors natural friend.

We were on the Carnival Ecstasy that was diverted to the port of Veracruz on Oct 13, 2010. I have to say I was really excited to see a different port as I have been to Progreso & Cozumel before. There were a lot of locals watching us as we arrived to the port. I honestly didn't understand what the big deal was. I found out later by a cab driver that they haven't had a ship in 6 months & they were informed of our arrival through the local news. We tried to do some shopping in the small shops right outside but most did not take american currency. We stood in line at a bank for more than a 1/2 hr to find out they did not exchange american currency for pesos.

We decided to take a cab to the beach. We asked the cab driver to take us to a nice place with restaurants & shopping. We were dropped off at a place where the back of the restaurants were on the beach. We noticed that not 1 restaurant had any patrons. We saw a few of our friends sitting on the beach ordering from one the restaurants so we decided to stay. We ordered a couple of Coronas & chips & salsa. Coronas came but after about a 1/2 hr we asked about our chips & salsa & were told "oh sorry we have to make the chips". We decided to leave because the smell from the trash laying around was awful. They charged us all different prices for our beers. We got lucky & only had to pay $7.00. We warned those friends to watch their bill. We caught up to them later & they told us they were charged $130.00 for their appetizers. They had their own beer!!!

We were also very lucky to have someone with us who spoke spanish as we could not communicate with any of the shop owners, restaurant servers, or cab drivers.

All in all I was very disappointed with the decision to take us to Veracruz. I realize that Carnival can't control the weather but I have to think there had to have been somewhere else we could have gone.

I hope you paid pesos and not dollars...

"All in all I was very disappointed with the decision to take us to Veracruz. I realize that Carnival can't control the weather but I have to think there had to have been somewhere else we could have gone."

Sorry to hear you were disappointed. I understand your frustration with no one speaking English. I don't think there is any way to fix this without ships making more stops. There are english speakers in the area at all social levels, they just aren't in tourism jobs b/c very few foreign tourists come to Veracruz. I think it was closer to a year since the last ship was in Veracruz.

The lack of currency exchange was a big problem. Hopefully the port authority agrees to allow someone set up on the pier next time. Hopefully we know a few days ahead so we have time to make arrangements. Banks here do not convert money. I do not know why, but the first time I went into HSBC and they told me they couldn't convert dollars I spent about ten minutes trying to word it differently thinking they did not understand. I totally understand your frustration on this point.

Of course, maybe Veracruz, at least as long as it is limited to an emergency stop, is one of those times when even experienced cruisers get their money out of a Carnival Shore Excursion as opposed to going it alone. I know the Carnival tours had one English fluent guide and at least one English fluent college student. Most had more students.

Just off the Ecstasy too...We took a cab to Playa Macambo beach...no US $ accepted...then took a cab to the mall with the Aquarium....No US $....then went to two banks to try to exchange funds....no luck. I am sure there is much to see and do in this lovely city, but on such short notice, we couldn't find it. Onboard Carnival only offered two excursions for $65 each....neither of which looked very interesting, one included the aquarium but at $65 was WAY overpriced....Taxi's drove us around for an hour for $20...and the shore excursions desk was a mad house. With more planning, I am sure it would be a nice stop....as it was, very disappointing.

Just off the Ecstasy too...We took a cab to Playa Macambo beach...no US $ accepted...then took a cab to the mall with the Aquarium....No US $....then went to two banks to try to exchange funds....no luck. I am sure there is much to see and do in this lovely city, but on such short notice, we couldn't find it. Onboard Carnival only offered two excursions for $65 each....neither of which looked very interesting, one included the aquarium but at $65 was WAY overpriced....Taxi's drove us around for an hour for $20...and the shore excursions desk was a mad house. With more planning, I am sure it would be a nice stop....as it was, very disappointing.

We caught up to them later & they told us they were charged $130.00 for their appetizers.

I strongly suspect that the bill was in pesos but they paid dollars. The symbol for pesos is '$', the same as for dollars. Someone got a big tip.

We caught up to them later & they told us they were charged $130.00 for their appetizers.

I strongly suspect that the bill was in pesos but they paid dollars. The symbol for pesos is '$', the same as for dollars. Someone got a big tip.

I believe you are exactly right. 130 pesos would be almost exactly $10. On the plus side minimum wage is about $5 a day with effective minimum wage being around $10, so someone got 2-3 weeks pay as a bonus.

HI,

A friend of mine is on the Ecstasy right now. She is saying they are going to Vera Cruz. Anyone been there? I wasn't aware there was a port there.

Thanks,

Teena:eek:

My family & I got off in Veracruz, we walk down the sidewalk to see what was offered. Veracruz had very interesting statues & a lot of things to see. We were able to grab 2 cabs to the beach with the help of a local able to speak English. The cabs took US Currency with no problem. Once at the beach it seem to be a little eerie :eek:since we were the 1st there. The first local could only speak English about his restaurant tables along the beach line only:confused:. We were immediately approached over and over about the restaurants, tables, and chairs from owners - thereafter came all the locals with things to purchase over and over......:rolleyes: We did get one restaurant owner to approach us with pretty good English & YOU GUESSED IT WE SAT DOWN AT HIS SET OF TABLES:). We purchased beers & even had a shot of tequila * English got him a long way with us!:) He never turned our money away but once because we found out the bill had writing on it. Once we left there - we went shopping our money was accept with no problem

We made the best of it - although I was really excited about reliving Cozumel for the first time thought my kids eyes & non of us had been to progresso.

But, hey, safety FIRST. LOL

Archived