Freedom review 9/5/10 - more info than you can stand!

Tony1865

Tony, please don't take my snarkyness as being rude. I am truly thankful for your commentary. It is extremely helpful to me in planning and understanding. Keep up the good work.

:D:D:D

Not at all. I've just had a busy week, and I want to give this epistle the time it deserves. I'm anal like that. I'll chip away at it some today. Y'all are all too, too kind.

What a wonderful review. Does your boss not understand you have important CC work to do. :)

I too am a morning person along with my DD and one morning on the Disney Magic, Zoe and I had a morning you decribed. I need to make a point to do it again cause one day far to soon, sitting with moms arms wrapped around her watching the sun rise over the ocean will be the last thing she will want to do on vacation.

DAY 3 - Labadee

Land Ho! Our first port.

I was up on deck as Freedom docked. Haiti is such a pretty island, but without delving too deep into its challenging history, I will tell you that hers is a heartbreaking story. What could be a true jewel of the Caribbean has suffered, and suffered greatly, for decades because of a series of purely crazy leaders.

In 1970 or so, I visited Haiti as a young teenager on a cruise with my family on NCL's Starward, which I mentioned earlier, and visited Cap-Haitien, Milot, and the absoluely jaw-droppingly amazing Citadelle Laferrière. Oh, and the Sans-Souci Palace. If I live to be 100 I'll never forget riding a donkey up the mountain to the Citadelle. And I saw the most squalid poverty I've ever seen in Cap-Haitien.

The ruins Sans-Souci palace:

800px-Sans-Souci_Palace_front.jpg

And the Citadelle:

800px-Citadelle_LaferriC3A8re.jpg

There is talk of possible RCCL visits to the Citadelle coming one day. Well, it's something to see.

Anyway, I digress. I love the combination of mountains, jungle, and sea that Labadee offers:

STE_0194.jpg

After Teresa and I had breakfast in the Windjammer, we made our way ashore. I'm glad that the Freedom doesn't have to tender anymore, but that's one long dock:

IMG_0151-1.jpg

Labadee proper is one sprawling complex. Like other private islands, it provideds a built-from-scratch, idealized tropical port. Actually, it's not entirely built from scratch ... other folks had been here first:

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0177-1.jpg

Wonder if this date is authentic?:

IMG_0180.jpg

I never could get a straight story on these ruins. I know a walking tour was offered, and perhaps some explanations might've been forthcoming from the guides on the tour. I'd say that the guest service folks on the island weren't too helpful in this area. I'm such a huge history buff ... this kind of thing really appeals to me:

IMG_0182.jpg

STE_0187.jpg

Labadee offers a ton of shore activities. The only one we opted for was the Dragon's Tail Coaster, which I think was $15 a pop, or unlimited rides for $40. See, I purely love roller coasters, and I figured most anything else we did we could do on our own.

So, this particular attraction was, indeed, a true roller coaster. Like other coasters, you sit in a little car designed for one or two folks, strap yourself in, and a bicycle chain-type apparatus pulls you to the top of a significant hill. Then, you're released to roll freely. There are a couple of control bars that give you the opportunity to brake yourself ... which is something you're gonna want to do.

So, the initial view from my vantage point:

IMG_0163-1.jpg

I'll tell you, this was a thrilling little ride. I wish we'd opted for multiple rides, because on that one ride, I was so obsessed by trying to control my little vehicle I couldn't enjoy the scenery. Because there are some times when the track curves way out beyond the mountainside, you're suspended over nothing but air, you're catching glimpses of the mountains, shore, and ship, but dang it, you're also thinking about not getting yourself killed. I watched caution signs whoosh past, warning of curves and places to brake, and so I was almost too busy staying in control to actually enjoy the trip. But I fininshed up with an immediate desire to do it again.

Here's Teresa, finishing her run:

IMG_0164.jpg

One of the ride attendants told me that heavier folks go much faster than the featherweights. Which explains why I came down the mountain like a scalded dog. Fun!!

Really enjoying your review. My family and I were on the same cruise.

A few people asked about skating tickets. My wife and I were up early the day the tickets were passed out and got to the line about 7:30. The ticket passout was to start at 8:00, we were third in line. The line started at one end of the promenade and by the time 8:00 rolled around, the line was at the other end.

They set up four table to pass out tickets and the line moved pretty quick. I don't now how long the line lasted because we left after we got ours.

You were able to pick up as many tickets as you needed.

I also noticed there were tickets available on at the Guest services desk later in the day. Not all the days and times were still available, but there were some left after the initial passout.

Mark.

Great review! Thanks for sharing! I am on Freedom in two weeks and can't wait. I have been on her sister ship, Liberty.

For the Disney vs RCCl choice/debate. As you can see from my signature I have been on my share of DCL cruises, was married on the Wonder (well Castaway Cay) and live in Orlando. (Add me to the DVC owner group too)... It is really a tough call. We were originally booked on the Magic for this cruise and we switched over to Freedom, purely due to cost factors. We will be sailing with us (2 adults) and a family of 4 (2 adults, 5yr old and 4yr old). The 6 of us sailed together last year on the Magic.

For $1K less we moved from a Cat 9 on Disney (window room) to large balcony rooms on Freedom.

Yes, Disney is an amazing product - but so is RCCL. I feel that the two are very, very comparable. If I had to choose - I would probably go based on cost. I do want to try the new Disney ships as well, but will wait for the cost to go down!!

Really enjoying your review. My family and I were on the same cruise.

A few people asked about skating tickets. My wife and I were up early the day the tickets were passed out and got to the line about 7:30. The ticket passout was to start at 8:00, we were third in line. The line started at one end of the promenade and by the time 8:00 rolled around, the line was at the other end.

They set up four table to pass out tickets and the line moved pretty quick. I don't now how long the line lasted because we left after we got ours.

You were able to pick up as many tickets as you needed.

I also noticed there were tickets available on at the Guest services desk later in the day. Not all the days and times were still available, but there were some left after the initial passout.

Mark.

What was the first day the tickets available. Also were they available for any of the Ice shows? I am leaving in 9 days, I have heard so many good things about the Ice show and do not want to miss it

What was the first day the tickets available. Also were they available for any of the Ice shows? I am leaving in 9 days, I have heard so many good things about the Ice show and do not want to miss it

They are really only available that one morning, which is the first or second day out. Check the cruise compass for the day. They are only offered on that one day and they are for all of the shows the rest of the week.

I sailed on Freedom earlier this month. The tickets were available in the Promenade near Sorrento's on Monday morning from 8 to 9. I went down about 8:30. There were only two people in line in front of me and still plenty of tickets available for all the show times. There was no limit on how many tickets you could pick up. The remaining tickets were available at Guest Services later. The shows were Monday at 3:00 and 5:00, and Wednesday at 7:00 and 9:00. People without tickets could still show up at the show and would be allowed in close to showtime if there were seats still available.

I am thoroughly enjoying this well-written, humorous, thoughful review. It's like reliving my cruise. I can't wait for the next installment!!

This may sound like a really silly question, but here goes:

Is it cold/cool in the theatre where the ice shows are performed? I assume that they have to keep the temperature low; just wondering if the audience has to dress warmly (socks, slacks, sweaters).

Thanks.

This may sound like a really silly question, but here goes:

Is it cold/cool in the theatre where the ice shows are performed? I assume that they have to keep the temperature low; just wondering if the audience has to dress warmly (socks, slacks, sweaters).

Thanks.

You will probably want to take a sweater with you.

I'm also on the FOS 8/28/11. Will be traveling in group of 11, friends and family. There is a roll call started if you haven't already checked it out. I've been telling all my partners in crime about Tony's review. Thera only one thing that could make it better. Wish he had done the eastern itinerary

Has anyone flown into Melbourne Florida? I'm confused with all the airport choices. Thanks for any replies. Joy

Hi Tony,

I love the review. Thanks for the memories. My Husband I went on the FOS last year. We were on deck 2 midship and we had more than enough room. We had such a great time that we are doing it again next year.

We considered other cruise lines and checked out Carnival and NCL and by doing some reserch I found out that they allow smoking in the cabins :eek:.

We will be sailing on Aug. 28th 2011. Any thoughts on the cabin that has been assigned to us on deck 8 and is toward the front of the ship?

2012 will be the first time sailing on DCL. My daughter and myself will be

going on the "DREAM" and all the men folk (both DH's and 2 grandsons) will be staying home :D.

I hope all the rest of you folks that are cruising soon have a great time.

I can't wait to read more of your review. Great pictures. I can actually say that I have been there, done that. :)

Chat soon

For those that are interested in the Dragon Tail Coaster on Labadee, I found the following on YouTube (thank you mrsbigrayq).

http://www.youtube.com/user/mrsbigrayq

I'm not sure I would do it, but now hubby is definitely interested.

Erika

That's cool! It helps to have two folks in the car if you're gonna video anything.

Got a perfectly awful week at work coming up, so I'll post when I can. Sorry. Day jobs have a way of cutting into more productive activities.

Isn't it amazing how the thing that provides you with the means to pleasure always seems to get in the way of sharing that pleasure with others.

I'm sure I speak for everyone on this board when I say, "we totally understand, thanks for sharing your vaction with us, post when you can!"

Archived