Getting ready to book...penthouse opinions please

luv4cruisin

We are getting ready to book the Pearl on Jan 1, 2012. The Penthouse is at a great price, and hubby has never stayed in one before. We are trying to decide on deck 9 or 10. If anyone has stayed in any of the SF/AE penthouses, I would love your opinion of your room and the location.:)

We are getting ready to book the Pearl on Jan 1, 2012. The Penthouse is at a great price, and hubby has never stayed in one before. We are trying to decide on deck 9 or 10. If anyone has stayed in any of the SF/AE penthouses, I would love your opinion of your room and the location.:)

If you have a choice go for deck 10.. The balcony is larger. :)

Doing your suite on 2/20/2011on the Pearl. Will get pictures and post upon our return.
Thank you so much! You might have seen this already, but I just found it a couple of days ago:

We stayed in an AE on the Jewel a couple years ago. It's very similar, but the balcony in the AD is much bigger.

We stayed in an AE on the Jewel a couple years ago. It's very similar, but the balcony in the AD is much bigger.

The deck 8 AE balcony has an overhang (deck 9) which offers the option of some shade much of the day. On deck 10 you're in the sun much more which the option of getting under the overhang. At least that's the way I rememebr it. The deck 8 & 9 AE have plenty of room on the balcony and the same furniture as 10.

On deck 8 you are closer to deck 7 and 6 where a lot of stuff happens and most food. On deck 10 you are closer to deck 12 with buffet food and pool. Also more noise on deck 10 due to the Great Outdoors. More cig butts on your deck in the morning.

I think the deck 8 AE has more closet space, 9 and 10 have a chase running thru the closet. Either way you'll have a great time.

The deck 8 AE balcony has an overhang (deck 9) which offers the option of some shade much of the day. On deck 10 you're in the sun much more which the option of getting under the overhang. At least that's the way I rememebr it. The deck 8 & 9 AE have plenty of room on the balcony and the same furniture as 10.

On deck 8 you are closer to deck 7 and 6 where a lot of stuff happens and most food. On deck 10 you are closer to deck 12 with buffet food and pool. Also more noise on deck 10 due to the Great Outdoors. More cig butts on your deck in the morning.

I think the deck 8 AE has more closet space, 9 and 10 have a chase running thru the closet. Either way you'll have a great time.

The only reason I would hesitate to book an AE on Deck 8 on any ship that has a nightclub or bowling alley under it is the noise. We didn't have that to worry about on the Jewel.

My Lee and I have never sailed on the Pearl, however, since the Gem is identical, I can tell you about the AE penthouse. We stayed in cabin 10666 around the Med and across the Pond.

It's a very nice Cabin, with a large balcony. There's a sitting area, with a small dining table.

There's a bath tub in a nicer sized bathroom than a BA.

The room is nice. But the perqs that come with the room are nicer. The room comes with butler and concierge service. That means your excursions and reservations? Taken care of by the Concierge. Want to eat in your room? To which restaurant do you want the butler to go to get your food? The butler will bring you anything you want from anywhere on the ship you want. Often My Lee and I will like the appetizers at the MDR, but not the main dishes. We'll ask the butler to bring us apps from the MDR and eat dinner in a specialty place. Same with desserts.

My Lee will often grimace when I pick up the phone to call the butler or concierge. They have told us on numerous occasions: "Use us, 'abuse' us. That's why we're here."

Call them for whatever you need. With your room (I think) will come a cordless phone. That's called a "Hand-i-phone" Take the Handy phone with you. Their numbers are already programmed into your phone. Call them whenever you need them, where ever you are.

One more thing: Hungry for a "nice" breakfast and lunch? Your AE comes with Breakfast and Lunch gratis at Cagney's Steakhouse. Crab Cakes Benedict and Pineapple waffles for breakfast. What about Veal Ragu or sea scallops for lunch? With a Colossal Shrimp cocktail? Sure. Why not?

That's how we roll when we live the "Suite Life..." :cool::D

One Caveat. One warning. One thing to keep in mind when you book this: once you go suite, you'll never want to go back.

And I thAnk YoU:

JWK: Purveyor of the wonders of the Suite Life... or

JWK: Meet Me at Cagney's

Oh yeah, Cagneys for breakfast and lunch, that is sweeeet.

We never saw a cigarette butt on our balcony, not sure if that was because it was on the corner and the sides blocked the wind? It was a wonderful cabin to see Alaska. Not sure how much the sun would be a factor but if you are going to the Caribbean in January the nights will be cool on the balcony.

As for the butler and concierge - not so great on our cruise. In fact the concierge pretty much told us she was "busy" with a large party in one of the Villas. We saw her twice and never once did she initiate contact with us. Of course she did not get a tip. Butler was okay but not up to the standards of our other Ncl suites, again it could have been because of a demanding other party but I don't think the same butler serves the villas as these suites. But even with that, we were pretty darn happy. The walk through closet and dressing area are the best! All kinds of plugs there for your hair dryer, curler, whatever. Also big deep shelves next to that dressing area with a magnifying mirror on one of the shelves.

In the picture you can see a bench at the end of the bed. One night of that and we moved it under the desk/dresser thing. Just too big and in the way when trying to move around the room. And it created more shelf area under the desk which became the "bar". :D

You will love it.

Archived