We did something I never would have believed. Your time dining + shorts in the MDR

fig414

Maybe, for the folks who are bemoaning the change in attire they're noticing in the MDR, it's time to try another line, if that sort of thing is so important to you. I noticed on both our Celebrity and Holland America cruises that people tended to be much better dressed than on any of our Carnival cruises. I imagine we'll notice the same thing when we sail with Princess next May.

Not trying to stir things up -- we love our Carnival cruises -- but there are other lines where people do take the dress code a bit more seriously and the lines do a better job of enforcing it.

Happy cruising!

You make a good point!

It's totally our own choice to book on any cruise line. There is so nothing wrong with cruise lines having different dress codes. Some can be enjoyd for a more relaxed dress and others for a more formal dress.

Changing cruise lines is a good idea in theory, but in my case, it's impractical and impossible. I say impossible, because we cruise with DD and only drive to the cruise port, with 99% of our cruises being less than 7 days. No, we can't fly, for many reasons. So, Carnival and NCL are the only options for us. I haven't sailed NCL yet, but I would guess that Carnival is more formal than them. As I said in my post, I deal with it and it certainly doesn't stop me from cruising, but that doesn't mean that part of me isn't unhappy with that aspect of Carnival. I think most people could find something they'd like to change, but that doesn't mean they would abandon ship (or cruise line) for something minor. Just because we are reminiscing (sp) about the past doesn't mean we should have to ditch Carnival!

p.s. I am excited to try the Voyager OTS when it comes to New Orleans, but I will always sail Carnival because they are the only ones with 4 & 5 night cruises from N.O.

I don't care what anyone else wears. I wear whatever is comfortable to me at the time in accordance with the suggested dress recommendations. Carnival has said in plain Standard English what is appropriate to wear in their MDR's. Frankly I don't understand why it appears to be so confusing and controversial to some.

I agree. No matter where I am I don't care how other people are dressed. As long as no one wanders in naked it won't bother me. :D

If you want to dress up great, if you want to wear shorts thats great too. It will in no way impact my experience. Living in a state where it is hot 3/4 of the year, seeing someone in a nice dress with flip flops is common.

And I don't understand why some say it affects their experience. How? They aren't part of your group. Just seems like people focusing on petty things. I will be dressed nice as will my husband however if someone shows up wearing shorts and a tshirt it won't bother me. Its their vacation they can do what they want.

People worry too much about what others are doing.

Many people just don't care what you think of them. As a matter of fact they choose to look the way they do so they stand out in the crowd. But you all know this already.

Aside from dollars, my family and I are choosing our next cruise on Carnival because it is casual. Dressing up puts me at work with my suit and tie every day. I am excited that I can wear shorts and a polo style shirt to dinner most nights.

Nice shorts don't bother me in the least in the MDR (although DH refuses to wear shorts of any kind, but that's another story!), sandals don't bother me, but what really irks me is to see a man in any kind of hat sitting at a dinner table. To me, that is just wrong and reeks of ill manners, whether he is eating at a Denny's or in a fine restaurant!

Obviously, your problem is that you expect boys to grow into men. ;) Apparently you haven't been paying a lot of attention for the last 20 years or so.

Unless he's actually at a ball game, a man wearing a baseball cap in public - especially one worn backwards - marks himself as having the intelligence and maturity of a 10-year-old.

I would say the same thing about the ubiquitous three-day-stubble beard look, a fashion popularized by that great man of the people, the late Yassir Arafat.

Everybody knows the answer though: young men will continue to dress and act the way they do until young women demand better.

Obviously, your problem is that you expect boys to grow into men. ;) Apparently you haven't been paying a lot of attention for the last 20 years or so.

Unless he's actually at a ball game, a man wearing a baseball cap in public - especially one worn backwards - marks himself as having the intelligence and maturity of a 10-year-old.

I would say the same thing about the ubiquitous three-day-stubble beard look, a fashion popularized by that great man of the people, the late Yassir Arafat.

Everybody knows the answer though: young men will continue to dress and act the way they do until young women demand better.

Showing a bit of bias or age here. Baseball cap in public is totally acceptable. Some guys look great in a "three-day stubble beard".

Those damn young women anyway. How can they be blamed? Sounds a little over the top here :rolleyes:.

Archived