What Cruisline do you take to go to Costa Rica?

Colorado Babe

My husband, daughter and I plan on booking our next cruise when we leave for HAWAII on the Wind, 3/19/05. Since this will be our first cruise, we will see how much we like cruising and if we do, we will definitely book the next cruise right away....Now, here is my question...My husband and daughter plan on getting their scuba certification this summer in Colorado..We have already decided that Costa Rica would be our next place to visit..My daughter and hubby would love to scuba there since our friends who are physicians have been all over the world and insist that Costa Rica is the best place to scuba....I on the other hand, would love to check out the rainforest, national parks and snorkel..WE would like to book a cruise that would allow us plenty of time to check out the sites and to do some sight seeing.What carrier do you all recommend? How many days do you think is needed to reasonably see Costa Rica? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help!

My husband, daughter and I plan on booking our next cruise when we leave for HAWAII on the Wind, 3/19/05. Since this will be our first cruise, we will see how much we like cruising and if we do, we will definitely book the next cruise right away....Now, here is my question...My husband and daughter plan on getting their scuba certification this summer in Colorado..We have already decided that Costa Rica would be our next place to visit..My daughter and hubby would love to scuba there since our friends who are physicians have been all over the world and insist that Costa Rica is the best place to scuba....I on the other hand, would love to check out the rainforest, national parks and snorkel..WE would like to book a cruise that would allow us plenty of time to check out the sites and to do some sight seeing.What carrier do you all recommend? How many days do you think is needed to reasonably see Costa Rica? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help!

Hi!

We called at Costa Rica on our Panama Canal Cruise in December aboard the Coral Princess. It was my favorite stop and we agreed we would like to return.

Cruise lines choices? Making a stop on either the Pacific coast (Puntarenas) or the Caribbean coast (Puerto Limon) is offerd by a variety of cruise lines including Princess, Celebrity, Radisson Seven Seas, Silverseas, etc. It often is included as part of a Panama Canal itinerary. If you are looking far a cruise that has extended time in Costa Rica, check out Windstar. It has some 7 night itineraries that might fit the bill. It depends on your time frame since they are only offered at specific times of the year.

Have your TA do the heavy lifting and see what fits your schedule and budget. I am sure you will enjoy Costa Rica - beautiful scenery, great wildlife, terrific snorkel/scuba, history, etc!

• 2 months later...

I wanted to bump this. I sailed on Celebrity and with a call in Costa Rica two years ago and would like to revisit. I, too, would love recommendations for cruise lines to take there. I am certainly considering the winstar itinerary, since it is so costa rica-intensive and I assume there is less of a struggle to get on a shore excursion of interest. Does anyone else have suggestions?

We're booked on the QM2 this January 3, 2006 round trip New York. The last island stop of this 12 night cruise is Port Moin, Costa Rica. It will be a particularly thrilling visit to Costa Rica because it is the Maiden Arrival of QM2 at this port.

Cruiserking

We're booked on the QM2 this January 3, 2006 round trip New York. The last island stop of this 12 night cruise is Port Moin, Costa Rica. It will be a particularly thrilling visit to Costa Rica because it is the Maiden Arrival of QM2 at this port.

Cruiserking

Do you mean Port Limon? If so, that was the port of call for the Coral Princess - and probably for other cruise ships visiting Costa Rica on the Caribbean coast.

Puerto Moin is just north of Puerto Limon, very close to the Tortuguero Canals.

We'll be taking the Windstar for 11 nights in December, stopping in ports on the Caribbean and Pacific sides, in Costa Rica, Panama, and Nicaragua. It is my understanding that the diving on the Caribbean side can be iffy, due to cloudy water generated by runoff. Good days have excellent diving. The Pacific side is not coral reef type diving, apparently more large schools of fish, dolphins, and ugggh, sharks!

We will see several national parks around the perimeter of Costa Rica, but not as much of the interior of the country. We are also looking forward to transiting the Panama Canal.

Hope this helps. :)

Beth

• 2 weeks later...
Puerto Moin is just north of Puerto Limon, very close to the Tortuguero Canals.

We'll be taking the Windstar for 11 nights in December, stopping in ports on the Caribbean and Pacific sides, in Costa Rica, Panama, and Nicaragua. It is my understanding that the diving on the Caribbean side can be iffy, due to cloudy water generated by runoff. Good days have excellent diving. The Pacific side is not coral reef type diving, apparently more large schools of fish, dolphins, and ugggh, sharks!

We will see several national parks around the perimeter of Costa Rica, but not as much of the interior of the country. We are also looking forward to transiting the Panama Canal.

Hope this helps. :)

Beth

Hi Beth:

Boy, it sounds like you are going to have a terrific cruise. If you get the chance, take a cruise on the Tortugero Canals. It was one of the highlights of our Panama Canal cruise in December.

Archived