How hard is to board a tender?

toby27

Hi all, I am booked to do a cruise from HK in Feb. I notice that in 2 of the ports of call they use tenders. I have a knee problem (doesn't bend as well as the other one after a TKR) and am worried I won't be able to get on the tender. I may have to forego the shore excursion which would be a shame.

Also is it better to do the ship tours or just go and do your own thing with the ship shuttle?

This is my first cruise and I would like to hear from others going on this cruise. I have tried to put msg on the roll call site but they don't get printed for some reason.

Hope someone replies to me.

I have a knee problem (doesn't bend as well as the other one after a TKR) and am worried I won't be able to get on the tender.

Well, I am fast approaching 79, use a cane, lousy legs and hips (memory, eyes, ears, neck - but that's another story)!

Unless the ocean is really tossing around, it is a piece of cake. The crew is especially attentive to people with handicaps - and if the ocean is rough, there will be no port call - they don't take chances with safety.

You'll be fine!

Thanks for your reply. I have been worried about that. I think I will take a fold up stick with me just in case I need a bit of help... If you can do it, so can I!

I have read so many wonderful things about this ship and am really looking forward to it. I am going on my own and from what I hear it is a very friendly ship.

Thanks.

It can be tricky if the sea has swells or is rough that day. A lady did fall on the day we tendered in a few weeks ago...but it was a rough day to tender. Be careful. If in doubt , stay on the ship and enjoy that. Most of the European ports require a lot of walking, climbing, steep hills etc. We are in great shape , but were tired out with the amt. of walking needed.The staff is very helpful, so most likely you will be ok.

After a few drinks the tender may be difficult even in calm seas!!! ;) :D

I think the suites get priority tenders along with the people on ships tours - but otherwise no tickets needed.

Happy sailings - ALWAYS!!!!! Enjoy your first cruise!!

We have never needed tickets for the tenders nor have we had to wait for more than one lifeboat/tender. It is all run very efficiently.

Agreed. The ship doesnt carry nearly as many guests than the larger lines, so there's rarely a wait - not from what I saw. Yes, Suites and Excurisions get Priority, but even that's not an issue. It all runs very smoothly.

While we have not been on Azamara, we have been on other R ships (Oceania Regatta and Nautica) twice, presumably they use the same tenders, which are very nice, all single decked. Unless you need a wheelchair, they will help (carry your arms) up and down the tenders.

Those large Celebrity tenders are different though, some of them have steep stairs leading up to a loft above. The seats on this loft have no handles and are somewhat slippery. If the tender is rocking and rolling, be careful, you may fall down and hurt yourself. So in that case, remain on the lower deck, or wait for the next tender if there is no seat left downstairs.

Agreed with all above, during our Azamara cruise last year, we never saw an issue with long queues for the tenders. Azamara staff very helpful. I think you will be fine with your knee.

We took some very nice excursions through Azamara and really enjoyed them. The guides were very, very knowledgable and in Rome, because we were on a tour, we bypassed the long lines to get into the Colliseum.

I think it depends on the city/town you are visiting, and what you want to see and do. Some places are great just to explore on your own, others having the benefit of a guide for history, culture, etc can be a big plus.

Theresa

Please don't worry about boarding the tenders. During our Holy Lands cruise last year on the Journey, the crew knew exactly how (and when) to transfer each passenger from platform to boat. Besides, it's a fun and unique experience to drop right down to water level and whisk away in a much smaller vessel.

Thanks for all the positive replies. I don't think it will be a problem now, its just the fear of the unknown, being a first time cruise person. In addition to my dicky knee, I have had major back surgery so I guess one tends to try to be a bit careful - never want to go through any of that again. Anyway I feel so much better about it all now... People are so nice, I guess that's what makes this planet so special!!!!!!!!!!

We just got off the Journey, and had experience with the tendor in both calm weather, and in really pretty rough weather. I have to say - the crew was absolutely amazing in both situations... There were many people that had some mobility issues (walking with canes, uncoordinated - okay, maybe that was just me - or just not easily mobile) and the crew handled all of them with finesse, kindness and people got on. When the sea is rough - it's not particularly pleasant, but the crew was absolutely amazing with this aspect. Definitely, don't worry about it.....:p

Archived