Lunch in Lisbon, recommendations please

Daneite

We are meeting friends in Lisbon after the Legend crossing but have no clue as to where we can find a good place to eat. We do not want anywhere too upmarket, just a nice clean friendly place where we can catch up on 4 years of not seeing each other. Another major point is, they have to serve vegetarian food! I don't eat fish so I am worrying that it may be difficult to find somewhere. if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Daneite

Daneite~~~On the street "Rue Garret" (City Cente of Lisboa) there are many wonderful restaurants. If the weather is pretty, many great sidewalk restaurants. (also great shopping) If time permits, do take a Taxi to "Pasteis de Belem" for their pasteis de nata. It's a fabulous custard tart. The desert/coffee house is one of the oldest and most historical in Lisbon. A super fun spot as the locals go here for their beloved pasteis.

There is an area known as "Restaurandores" that have many restaurants as well.

Have fun!

MB

Daneite~~~here's a suggestion. It's easy to go from the Cruise Pier to the "Rue Garett" Street......The Cafe A. Brasileira is a VERY old coffe house and world known. Some think it's a tourist trap, but it's truly alot of fun, many locals go.......outside there are tables and chairs. And all up and down the street there are good restaurants.

If you need a driver/car I can recommend Miguel Conde......he is the best and speaks English. We are using Miguel again for 3 days, after our Crossing. I have his phone # and Fax # if you would like to have it.

Martita

Many thanks Martha, I knew I could rely on you for help. I would love Miguel's phone and fax numbers as we are staying in Lisbon for 2 days. Your little restaurant sounds great as well, I am sure we will be trying it. Thanks again.

Daneite

Daneite~~~Miguel is so sweet. Has a family......wife and 2 children. Has a wonderful Mercedes. Is very relible. Is a great "Tour Director!"

Miguel Conde Phone # 96 405 56 99 FAX 21 474 40 65

You might mention that Martha, Norman and John recommended him......he knows us. (as I mentioned, he's "fetchin' us" at the Cruise Pier on March 27th) And he also knows The Cafe' A. Brasileira, right next door to The Borges Hotel. The Rue Garret Street is beautiful......all cobblestoned. Last year, we walked a couple of blocks down and bought fresh roasted chestnuts from a woman street vendor. She had her 'lit fire right on the street.....wonderful area.

AND we shopped....bought great tiles and oh, there is a "money exchange" store about 2 blocks down also, if you need Euro's.

Happy Sailing and Happy Lisboa!

MB

Daneite~~A really fun thing to do on the afternoon of Arpil 7th is to go to the Tower of Belem (at 6 pm) and wave to the Legend as they make their departure from Lisbon. Last year we met Captain T.T at the Cafe A. Brasileira for coffee and he pointed on the map where we needed to stand. Miguel drove us about 5:30 that afternoon and in the "pourin' down rain", we waved the Seabourn flag at the Pride, as they cruised down the Tagus River.......flashbulbs were flashing from the Pride at us. I'm sure we looked like drowned rats.......but it was unforgettable! Norman posted a few photos on the CC board.

We've planned to make the "annual wave goodbye" trek again this year! Hoping for good weather.

MB

Martha,

That sounds like a great idea! I remember looking at the photos last year, so we may just do that.It would be great to take some photos of the Legend leaving Lisbon. Is the Tower of Belem near to where we can get the Pasteis de Belem as we could do both on the same day?

Sounds like we are going to have fun while in Lisbon! Any more ideas are very welcome.

Daneite

Daneite~~~Yes, the famous Pasteis Cafe is down the street from the Tower of Belem. If you hire Miguel, he'll know exactly the spot to stand "to wave goodbye" to the Legend. (your friends and the Staff will all come out to the railing and bid you "adios!" Alot of fun) Then he'll take you to have fabulous "custard tarts in puff pastry!" Miguel is "the jewel of Lisboa!" He'll also know many good restaurants.

We're planning to tour around Portugal on Monday and Tuesday.....then fly to Madrid on Wednesday.

I don't know about you, but I am very anxious to board the Pride and be with my friends. I'm sure my emotions, of Herman's death have much to do with my

overanxiety and eagerness.We're going to miss him terribly...........

Happy Trails and Sails

MB

Daneite,

We are also spending 2 days in Lisbon at the end of the cruise. I've never been to Lisbon before, so I'm looking forward to touring.

Where are you staying? We will be at the Sofitel.

Regards,

Denyse

Denyse~~~if you haven't made "touring plans" and do not have a driver/car, I

would think that Miguel Conde would know someone that is reliable and a good tour guide for you. Lisbon is a beautiful City and the people are so friendly and very hospitable. Many wonderful Castles, Museums, etc. and the 'lit streets are "tiled!"

I highly recommend Miguel.......honest and very "Lisboa savy!" (VERY proud of his family, too)

MB

Daneite and Denyse~~~~a good "base" in Lisbon is just outside The Cafe' A. Brasileira, by the tables and chairs. Also, if you need any information, go inside The 'lit Borges Hotel. The desk clerk speaks English. I always like to have a "base" in a City, just in case one or more parties become lost or delayed.

The 'lit Borges has certainly seen better days.......but we all sure had a grrreat time staying there last year! The staff was very kind and helpful to us! The location is perfect.......and the rates can't be beaten! More money for our fine Ports! (WINE, that is)

Have fun!

MB

Matt~~~I like to stroll and shop on Rue Garret Street. I love to buy their "tiles."

I don't care for the tourist tiles......'ya know those with the 'lit tacky scenes on them? We found the most fabulous tile shop several blocks down from the location of Hotel Borges......really beautiful boutiques also on this street.

If you tire, just "plop down" at any open air street Cafe and have something cold to drink. When I travel my most favorite thing to do is be with and visit with the locals!

Are you spending a few days in Lisboa?

MB

Matt~~~a tip, they don't understand Spanish!!! hahaha

If you like Seafood, this is the place to have it! Also, in Funchal.

Have you visited Madiera? I love Funchal........beautiful, beautiful! I'm hoping all the trees will be blooming RED when we're there. I was there a few years ago on Easter and the flora was magnificent! I would love to visit the orchid farm. If you haven't been to the open air market downtown, GO! A sight to behold!

Happy Sailing~~~

MB

Matt~~Reid's Palace is fabulous! Seabourn invites us for Tea Time. The hotel is very old and very unique........do take advantage of the complimentary "shore experience." You'll need to wear and jacket and tie for the formal tea.

You may want to take a "ride on the wicker sledge".........

Funchal is a fun, beautiful fishing village........and Madiera is an Island to mark in your "go back to" travel planner!

You'll love it!!

MB

Hi Denyse,

Please, if you want to book Miguel, go ahead! We are trying to organise things with our friends and it is turning into an epic, so cannot make firm plans just yet.If you do not book him now you may miss out and that would be a shame.

As for our hotel, we had a FREE one thrown in with the flights, but it is on the other side of the bridge and we are not sure wether we should take it or not. Looked it up on the internet and it looks OK but is quite a way out, more of a beach hotel but the weather will not be beach weather! We have stayed in the Mundial once and that was fine, so may decide on that again. We have been looking at the Borges, on Martha's recommendation, but it does not appear to have any rooms on the 7th and 8th.

See You SOON!!!!

Daneite

Hi Daneite,

Thanks for the info! You know, we can reserve Miguel, and then if you'd like to join us, you are welcome to do so. But are you sure you want to give him up?

We are staying at the Sofitel---I hear it's well located for walking, and a nice hotel to boot. Seabourn once put us at the Intercontinental in Barcelona, and it was far away from everything, so we changed hotels and just burned the res. It was worth it to be closer to town.

Miss Martita has our email address, so feel free to email us before the cruise if you'd like. As I said, we're happy to share the car!

Best,

Denyse

Daneite~~~another idea would be to go up to St. Jorge Castle (Castelo de Sao Jorge) which has a great view. I believe there is a terrace restaurant on the grounds. Your guide will probably include this castle anyway......

I hope your "reunion" plans are coming a'long......it's hard to meet in the City at a determined time and place. But, the Chiado area is a pretty spot!

MB

If you have not been to Sintra by all means go--it is really magical. There are cobbled streets winding around and around the hill and you can peek into the walled gardens of the beautiful houses...

Also if you are interested in art the Calouste Gulbenkian Museum is a must. A huge collection of all sorts and periods in a very handsome building.

The Carriage Museum is a hoot, too.

bgood

Denyse,

Many thanks for your offer to share Miguel, that is so kind of you!Unfortunately we will not be able to finalise any plans for a while as we are meeting up with friends and as I said before it is not so easy to organise. So you take Miguel and we will have him next year!!

Martha,

St Jorge Castle sounds a great idea, we very nearly went last time but it started to pour with rain so we abandoned the idea and found a coffee shop. Hopefully the weather will be kind this time! Does it ALWAYS rain in Lisbon????

bgood,

How far away is Sintra? Sounds like a lovely place so worth a visit. We are going to fill our two days up very quickly and there were we thinking we would just be killing time between the Legend and the Pride.

Thanks again to everyone for your ideas and help, just hope we can cram everything in and hopefully find our friends from South Africa.

Countdown still going, 3 weeks, 1 day 20 hours and 15 minutes before we leave! Not that we eager to go!!

Daneite

Just checked this thread, and there is a wealth of info on Lisbon. We are on the Pride crossing and staying two days in Lisbon at the Four Seasons. I was interested in the Seabourn excursion in Funchal, also. We knew nothing about Funchal. I had heard of Reid's Hotel, but didn't know that we would be going there. We haven't decided if we will try to hire a guide or not. Since, we arrive on Easter Sunday, I wonder if it will be difficult to find one on a holiday.

Will there be any shore excursions offered in Bermuda? Or is it better to just wander around on your own?

Brenda

Archived