Panama Canal Cruise

sgmburt

We did Panama Canal last April on the Pearl. We loved it! Different cruise lines do it differently. We like the fact that NCL does a complete transit; the drawback is that you don't have an option of shore excursions in Panama. The Princess ship just in front of us did a partial transit; they entered through the Caribbean locks then immediately dropped anchor and tendered for excursions, then later in the day went back through to the Caribbean to finish the cruise. We liked going all the way throug to the Pacific and then up the Pacific Coast to Los Angeles. 14 days of a fairy tale cruise.

We did our complete transit (Miami to LA) last year on the Star in December. It was WONDERFUL! They have changed the Star since last year (taken out the front Observation Lounge the Stardust) and moved it to an interior location, so I don't think I would take the Star again. Even though we had a balcony cabin, the inside viewing from those big front windows was great and totally air conditiones (Panama is HOT!) of course you could book one of the suites which are now where the old Stardust Lounge was located to still get that great view.

A full transit approaching from the Pacific side offers the best of everything: seeing the Bridge of the Americas and passing thru the double stepped locks at Miraflores and Pedro Miguel before passing under the beautiful Centennial Bridge and then entering the amazing Gaillard Cut, all before the heat of the day begins to overwhelm you.*

If you enter through the Caribbean you hit the Gatun Locks first, transit the Gatun Lake, and hit the best part of the canal around noon or 1pm, exiting the Miraflores Locks around 3pm in the sweltering heat if the afternoon. In this scenario you are also more likely to encounter severe afternoon downpours that frequent the canal zone.

Partial transits that enter and exit at Gatun Locks and offer shore excursions are fine if you want to miss the most interesting, and best, part of the actual canal itself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaillard_Cut

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panama_Canal#Layout

We did our complete transit (Miami to LA) last year on the Star in December. It was WONDERFUL! They have changed the Star since last year (taken out the front Observation Lounge the Stardust) and moved it to an interior location, so I don't think I would take the Star again. Even though we had a balcony cabin, the inside viewing from those big front windows was great and totally air conditiones (Panama is HOT!) of course you could book one of the suites which are now where the old Stardust Lounge was located to still get that great view.

Hi, Lambs -- I am not being critical, but that was the Spinnaker that was moved.

Archived