What's the air freshner for?

survalia

Not so much for "ship" smells, but there are no fans in the bathroom and there's only one bathroom, so it's nice to leave the aire fresher when you finish your business! We travel with them all the time even when staying at a hotel. We use them at home so why not on vacation?

Lots of packing lists suggest air fresher. Is there a reason? I assumed it was for the small, windowless bathrooms, but is there something I am not getting? Do the cabins smell like cigarettes? Or worse?

That would be to... Uhhh...freshen the air, maybe:eek:

I've sailed on four Carnival and one RCI ships and I've never seen an exhaust fan in any of the bathrooms. For the sake of others sharing your cabin, take an airfreshener for the bathroom.

Every bathroom on Carnival has one and they are powerful. There is no off/on switch - they are always on unless they shut the ventilation system down (very rare).

i always do and put it in the bathroom or right outside in the cabin... we always have candles at home- so its sort of the same thing..i try to bring the sun and sand one by yankee candle---it reminds me of a beach, perfect addition to the cruise atmosphere

Go with Lysol. We use it to spray all the areas in the room that you touch to help prevent catching the norovirus, plus it can deodorize as needed.

This is exactly what we do! We mostly take it for the germ factor and make sure all the surfaces are sprayed down, but it also comes in handy in the bathroom. :D

We didn't bring one on our first cruise, but did on the second. While it isn't really needed, it sure is nice to come back into your room and have a wonderful inviting smell meet you. Last time, we brought a little container that looked about the size of a quarter of a can of pop with little gel crystals in it with a fresh linen scent. It lasted all seven days. I'll be bringing another on our next cruise in January!

-Danny

I got a real kick out of this post. I do see the need to remove those odors that are created after the endless food we are given on a cruise. I have never thought of packing a air freshener. I might have to think about it.

I do need to share w/ all the Lysol people around here that think a quick spray and no viruses. Please read your bottle. It takes keeping the surface wet for something like 4-10 mins depending on brand/type to be a anti-bacterial. Just food for thought.

I could also go on and on about how unsafe your typical air freshners are too but I will save that for another day. No I am not a tree hugger type I am just now informed on what goes into things and a safer way to clean.

Previous cruises have been with balconies, gets stinky? Open balcony door. But this will be our first interior and I have heard mention of some odors emitting from some places......so we are bringing a solid from the dollar store, cinnamon and apples sound better smelling than "sewage", so no problem with toting one, and if we don't need it, we don't need it.

Now, once while vacationing in Gettysburg, in the country's most haunted hotel, we were placed in a room that ran over the underground stream that used to move the tanning solution, and the smell was the worst sewage smell that I have ever smelled in my life. We had the hotel's main office send over 4 ! 4! cans of airfreshener.....this was one of those hotels that you could not smoke in the rooms, the windows were nailed shut.....we smoked, there is no way we could stay in that room with that smell unless we burned a candle or used the spray every 5 minutes.

Previous cruises have been with balconies, gets stinky? Open balcony door. But this will be our first interior and I have heard mention of some odors emitting from some places......so we are bringing a solid from the dollar store, cinnamon and apples sound better smelling than "sewage", so no problem with toting one, and if we don't need it, we don't need it.

Now, once while vacationing in Gettysburg, in the country's most haunted hotel, we were placed in a room that ran over the underground stream that used to move the tanning solution, and the smell was the worst sewage smell that I have ever smelled in my life. We had the hotel's main office send over 4 ! 4! cans of airfreshener.....this was one of those hotels that you could not smoke in the rooms, the windows were nailed shut.....we smoked, there is no way we could stay in that room with that smell unless we burned a candle or used the spray every 5 minutes.

[quote name='Sargent_Schultz']Every bathroom on Carnival has one and they are powerful. There is no off/on switch - they are always on unless they shut the ventilation system down (very rare).[/quote]

If they have them and they're on all the time, why do the mirrors always fog up and won't clear up after you take a shower?

Archived