Elite Cruisers Sailing with New Cruisers

Starry Nights

We are Elite-level cruisers on Celebrity and will be sailing this winter with dear friends who will be cruising for the first time.

I am interested in hearing how others handle this situation.

I'm not so worried about missing the Elite cocktails, but I will miss meeting other frequent cruisers at the Elite cocktail hour. And I enjoy my cappucinos in the morning, so will feel a little annoyed at having to pay $4.60 for each one.

I know this sounds petty, and I really AM looking forward to spending lots of time with our friends. Bypassing some of the key Elite perks is not a big deal at all, but I was just curious to hear how others have handled this situation.

This question has been covered many times on these boards and my understanding is that unless you are sharing a cabin, your friends will not be allowed Elite privileges. It takes time and money (as you know) to get to Elite and many people get extremely upset that Elite cruisers attempt to have friends enjoy what they have taken many years to achieve.

We often sail (other lines--we are coming up on our first Celebrity cruise later this month) with friends or family who do not have the same status that we do. We have never tried to spend all day, every day with our friends or family and i think everyone would go nutty doing so. I would just count on those times being a part of the day when you will not be together with your friends.

We generally plan on eating dinner together and then going through the dailies together over drinks after dinner and seeing what things we may want to do together the next day. it works quite well. One the best things about cruising with people is that you CAN spend time together and apart so easily. There is something for everyone--and elite parties for you are a part of that.

I'm far from being an Elite, so I cannot tell you how would I handle it, but I think most likely you will not be spending every minute of the day together.

I think it's completely acceptable to tell your friends that you'll meet them around 9:00 before going to port, as you want to have the Elite breakfast a couple of times during the cruise, or that you want to get an early breakfast and go work out, or whatever.

The afternoon is also a good time to take naps, get ready for dinner, etc. You might find the time to go to the Elite event a few times during the week.

I would not be at all offended if we were cruising with friends and they told us they want to go to a different venue or do a different activity that only they can go to.

This question has been covered many times on these boards and my understanding is that unless you are sharing a cabin, your friends will not be allowed Elite privileges. It takes time and money (as you know) to get to Elite and many people get extremely upset that Elite cruisers attempt to have friends enjoy what they have taken many years to achieve.

I don't think that Starry Nights was asking about taking her friends into the Elite events, only for advice about how to politely deal with the friends and not feel guilty about - perhaps - taking advantage of some of the Elite perks her(him)self.:)

It depends upon how close you are to your friends. Elite privileges are granted ‘per cabin’ so if you arrange your bookings to swap partners you will all get the benefits. You need to agree on which seapasses to use for purchases and how you organise your tabs but otherwise there will be no problems.

Unless you really want to swap partners (in all respects) you will only have one seapass per couple which opens your cabin door however but most people can live with this.

Thanks for posting this question, Starry Nights. I completely understand what you're asking is how to politely handle the situation, not to bypass the rules for the lounges. From what you've described, it sounds like it might not be much of a problem to sneak away early in the morning to grab a cappuccino, or to say that you're having a light breakfast in Michael's on one morning and that you'll meet up with them later. If they are good friends, they should understand. Let us know how it goes.

Your question is especially timely for me. We will be in the same situation next month with family onboard Eclipse. It will be their 2nd cruise on Celebrity, so they may as well be first timers in terms of the perks. :o

So I, too, am wondering how to handle this. I know some have suggested to go their separate ways, but our relatives are older and are unsure of themselves on cruises...and as a result, they are very clingy onboard the ship. If they could, they would be with us 24/7. I am guessing we'll just have to forgo the lounges this time. Time spent with them is more valuable than any free drink or breakfast anyway.

My brother, who is also elite, opted on this upcoming cruise to get a standard cabin in lieu of a suite. I made sure that he understood that he would not be able to order free espressos, etc while he is in my suite.

The people sharing my cabin, on the other hand, are cruise virgins. But they will be entitled to join me for cocktails, etc by virtue of the fact that I am Elite.

He will wish that he had opted for that suite I offered him before the ship clears Fort Lauderdale....

My brother, who is also elite, opted on this upcoming cruise to get a standard cabin in lieu of a suite. I made sure that he understood that he would not be able to order free espressos, etc while he is in my suite.

The people sharing my cabin, on the other hand, are cruise virgins. But they will be entitled to join me for cocktails, etc by virtue of the fact that I am Elite.

He will wish that he had opted for that suite I offered him before the ship clears Fort Lauderdale....

If your brother is Elite, he can join you for cocktails, it is a Captain Club Elite function not an suite benefit...If you weren't Elite, you couldn't go.

As a I recall when I first started cruising I wanted to try a bunch of different things. Lots of activities, shows etc. that I don't bother with now. Encourage your friends to sample as much as they can, even for things that you have decided aren't worth it or to your taste. You can only have a first cruise one time. You can let them know that you will meet them for specific meals, excursions etc but this will give them the freedom to explore and discover on their own. This also will give you the time you need to enjoy your perks.

Unless they are extraordinarily clingy people they will appreciate your allowing them to have a 'first cruise' with all that is magical about discovering the wonders of a room steward who turns things around in minutes, that the shows are included for free, that all the food one wants is available, and that this beautiful ship and accommodations are really included etc.

I don't think anything ever tops a 'first cruise'.

Cheers!

Michelle

If your brother is Elite, he can join you for cocktails, it is a Captain Club Elite function not an suite benefit...If you weren't Elite, you couldn't go.

I KNOW that. But he CANNOT order free espressos in his cabin like I can. He loves them; but sadly for him he will end up having to pay for them, everywhere except in the Elite lounge.

Yup, yup, yup.

I don't think that Starry Nights was asking about taking her friends into the Elite events, only for advice about how to politely deal with the friends and not feel guilty about - perhaps - taking advantage of some of the Elite perks her(him)self.:)

Yes, Sharon, that is exactly what I was asking.

Thanks to everyone for their comments. It helps me to know how others have handled this situation, or conversely, how they might feel if they were in the position of our friends. I wouldn't ever want dear friends to think that we would choose free drinks over spending time with them, so I think I'll just play it by ear.

However, I will show them what the Elite perks are, and hope that they'll have such a great time on their first cruise that they'll want to become Elite themselves!

Again, thanks to everyone.

If there are any more comments on this topic, I would love to hear them.

Archived