Shooting of Victory passenger sparks changes in St. Thomas

cowgirlamy

Don't know if this was posted already. If it has, sorry. I did search but found nothing.

Apparently, the murder of a Carnival Victory passenger in July ( I was on this cruise) sparked changes to Coki Beach. Very sad it took this murder to officials to do something. Seems like they just did the minimum to "reassure" tourists the authorities are doing something.

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2010/10/cruise-ship-murder-st-thomas-coki-point-beach-carnival/127386/1?plckFindCommentKey=CommentKey:4fc7c07a-5a67-411a-8ae8-f74451ad8cc9&plckFindCommentKey=CommentKey:c8789ae4-8a1e-4d16-b871-879cb98a88a5

I have traveled to St Thomas for over a decade. Granted, it's been 3 years since I was last there. And, what was once a very nice area to go, it had been getting notably worse. Until, obviously this tragedy struck.

I guess cleaning it up is a good first step. But, much more needs to be done.

Since tourism is such a big industry there, I concur that the due diligence must not stop. I must continue, and it must be vigorous.

I have traveled to St Thomas for over a decade. Granted, it's been 3 years since I was last there. And, what was once a very nice area to go, it had been getting notably worse. Until, obviously this tragedy struck.

I guess cleaning it up is a good first step. But, much more needs to be done.

Since tourism is such a big industry there, I concur that the due diligence must not stop. I must continue, and it must be vigorous.

I should have done more research before this trip but I never though St. Thomas was this violent. You should think after the cruise industry backed out of St. Croiux a few years ago due to similar complaints about crime that StT would follow suit.

They can clean up the crime if they want. The cruise industry is very powerful when it comes to bringing about this sort of change because of the enormous tourism boost the ships bring to these islands.

Archived