Help me make the most of our upcoming cruise in an A3

roveer

We will be leaving out of NYC in a few weeks for a much needed get-a-way. It's mom, me and the 4 kids ages 12, 9, 6 & 4. We've cruised DCL twice and NCL once for our honeymoon 15 years ago on the NCL Dreamward.

This time we will be in a suite with all the perks and having done suites on DCL I have to say that I'm not sure that we really took full advantage of what we are entitled to. I know on our first suite cruise we were so overwhelmed that we just took it easy and didn't ask for much. The 2nd cruise, we did a little more. This one I want to make sure I have a good plan. This cruising thing aint cheap, so I want to make good use of my money.

So, for what I've read so far here's what I'm thinking. Please add in any additional must-do's from your experience.

1. Will use priority embarkation.

2. Will try to have 1st day lunch at Cagney's even know they say to go to the buffet. From what I've read, we'll probably eat at Cagney's breakfast & lunch for the entire week. Not likely that we will have enough room with the 4 kids to eat in our stateroom and everybody raves about Cagney's.

3. Will book cruise length spa passes (still thinking about this, not sure if we will make good use, but thinking it might be a good thing)

4. Will talk to our butler about things we'd like in the room

5. Will take advantage of priority tendering

6. Will likely use concierge to get a rental car for PC (if we decide to split up and do Cocoa for the girls and KSC for my son and I).

7. Have already booked Atlantis Water thing

8. Will work with concierge for dining reservations

9. Will work with concierge for spa reservations

10. If Courtyard is nice will consider having lunch there on certain days.

11. Will sign up for behind the scenes tour

12. Will take advantage of early disembarkation

So what else should I be considering? Interested in any and all suggestions.

Perhaps you can get the kids engaged in the kids activities, and be able to have a romantic dinner from one of the specialty restaurants brought to the room and served for the two of you. If worse comes to worse, wait until the kdis go to bed, and then perhaps order something from Blue Lagoon (limited though it may be) and a nice bottle of champage, and eat on your balcony or in front of the balcony.

With the sliding roof, the courtyard is almost always perfect. With the four kids, you can use it as an extension of your room...there are probably eight tables there with a 'courtyard butler' ready to take your order for breakfast or lunch. The older kids can order for themselves. It's a fabulous perk, one we don't use enough.

Also, the game room (right down the steps on deck 12 on the port side) doesn't use coins: the kids swipe their room keys. If you want to allow the older kids to be able to charge things to the room, including games, you'll have to specifically authorize them to have that privilege. otherwise, you have to go down there with them - you can't just give them a bag of quarters anymore.

Have a wonderful time.

Perhaps you can get the kids engaged in the kids activities, and be able to have a romantic dinner from one of the specialty restaurants brought to the room and served for the two of you. If worse comes to worse, wait until the kdis go to bed, and then perhaps order something from Blue Lagoon (limited though it may be) and a nice bottle of champage, and eat on your balcony or in front of the balcony.

I am very much hoping the kids take to the clubs. We are normally DCL cruisers but this time around time was short, we booked last minute and mom just couldn't handle the trip to FL (we drive). So we went with NCL out of NYC. On DCL, we know the kids love the clubs, and from the pictures I've seen of NCL it doesn't look like all that much. This is a huge ??? in my mind for this trip. Mom and I really need to do some re-charging and I'm just not sure how that's going to work out. Hopefully it does and we get some alone time, otherwise, it'll just be another wonderful family style vacation. Either way it's going to be fun.

Dinner in the room or in a restaraunt with just the two adults is definetly on our list of things to try to do. Thanks for the suggestion.

You can order DVDs at no charge to show on the fairly large flat screen TV in your suite. It's a nice way to keep kids occupied while you are perhaps relaxing on the outside deck, or great fun for the family to take a rest and watch a movie together. You can order snacks for them as well. It's a good chance for them to regroup and chill. We did this with our kids--and they are college age!! LOL :) Also, someone mentioned it, as you are in the courtyard (at least this was true on the Jewel if that is the ship you will be on) you have access to a game room--looked like a great place to hang out with the kids for a while--and you can have snacks delivered there also.

With the sliding roof, the courtyard is almost always perfect. With the four kids, you can use it as an extension of your room...there are probably eight tables there with a 'courtyard butler' ready to take your order for breakfast or lunch. The older kids can order for themselves. It's a fabulous perk, one we don't use enough.

Also, the game room (right down the steps on deck 12 on the port side) doesn't use coins: the kids swipe their room keys. If you want to allow the older kids to be able to charge things to the room, including games, you'll have to specifically authorize them to have that privilege. otherwise, you have to go down there with them - you can't just give them a bag of quarters anymore.

Have a wonderful time.

I'm happy to hear you say that about the courtyard. It was the primary reason that I paid all the extra money for the A3. Some have said it's small, I'm sure it is, and hopefully not too crowded. I'm really looking forward to having something so close to our room that can just be some extra space that's not part of the rest of the ship. I'm sure we'll be down at the larger pool fairly often but when we just want to chill out and enjoy, that's where the courtyard will hopefully come into play. First time doing this, so I guess I'll owe everyone a nice trip report when we get back.

Great suggestion about the game room. Will have to think about how I'm going to control the spending. On DCL the concierge gave us cards that allowed for unlimited play for a while. The kids love the games but I could see if it was not controlled I'd have a huge bill on my hands. Will probably have to keep a tight rein on this one.

We will be leaving out of NYC in a few weeks for a much needed get-a-way. It's mom, me and the 4 kids ages 12, 9, 6 & 4. We've cruised DCL twice and NCL once for our honeymoon 15 years ago on the NCL Dreamward.

This time we will be in a suite with all the perks and having done suites on DCL I have to say that I'm not sure that we really took full advantage of what we are entitled to. I know on our first suite cruise we were so overwhelmed that we just took it easy and didn't ask for much. The 2nd cruise, we did a little more. This one I want to make sure I have a good plan. This cruising thing aint cheap, so I want to make good use of my money.

So, for what I've read so far here's what I'm thinking. Please add in any additional must-do's from your experience.

2. Will try to have 1st day lunch at Cagney's even know they say to go to the buffet. From what I've read, we'll probably eat at Cagney's breakfast & lunch for the entire week. Not likely that we will have enough room with the 4 kids to eat in our stateroom and everybody raves about Cagney's.

Once they know you are in the courtyard, no one will try to persuade you to go to the buffet.

3. Will book cruise length spa passes (still thinking about this, not sure if we will make good use, but thinking it might be a good thing)

FYI, this will cost extra as it is not part of the perks of a suite.

If you don't care for the sparkling wine in your room, they may switch it for the NCL house wine.

6. Will likely use concierge to get a rental car for PC (if we decide to split up and do Cocoa for the girls and KSC for my son and I).

11. Will sign up for behind the scenes tour

Have a great cruise!

:D

You can order DVDs at no charge to show on the fairly large flat screen TV in your suite. It's a nice way to keep kids occupied while you are perhaps relaxing on the outside deck, or great fun for the family to take a rest and watch a movie together. You can order snacks for them as well. It's a good chance for them to regroup and chill. We did this with our kids--and they are college age!! LOL :) Also, someone mentioned it, as you are in the courtyard (at least this was true on the Jewel if that is the ship you will be on) you have access to a game room--looked like a great place to hang out with the kids for a while--and you can have snacks delivered there also.
Roveer, I wanted to make sure you saw this. The room yoyocruiser is referring to on the Jewel is on Deck 15, accessed by the stairs in the elevator alcove on the Courtyard Deck. It is one large room, with picture windows overlooking the pool and with amazing views. There are snacks in there, coffee and tea, and I believe there are board games. It would be a nice place to hang out with the family.

Also, I think you'll find the Courtyard area is plenty large enough for you.

Just thought of something else -- when the concierge or your butler shows you to your suite the first day, they will definitely suggest you eat at Cagneys. Don't go to the buffet that day unless you have to. It's unbelievably busy.

Have fun. I'm so envious!

You can't forget about the reserved seats in the theatre!! This is really a huge perk. You can waltz in to the show one minute before it starts and sit right down. None of that business with trying to get seats 20 or 30 minutes early. The shows on NCL really are good.

I loved being on the courtyard sundeck for the sail aways. Don't miss being outside for that first sail away. It's so exciting! (the courtyard villas have a seperate deck with posh loungers located one flight up from the courtyard and reserved just for the courtyard and above guest)

Our family loved the courtyard area. The pool was small but heck, so is the main pool! Not having to hassle for loungers is just the best perk. My kids didn't complain at all about the size of that pool. They swam in it for hours. When the next stop in a beach day, they really don't care if the pool is small. Also, the hot tub in the courtyard is actually hot. Not like the warm tubs in the main pool area.

I really wouldn't spend the money for the week long spa pass. I've never had trouble getting a day pass for the spa. I think if there was trouble getting a daily pass you could always ask your conceirge to see what he can do for you. They can pull sold out things off like this! Also, relaxing in the courtyard is like relaxing in the spa.

Get to know the other passangers in the courtyard. I loved meeting these people and we all toured each other's cabins one day.

I loved getting sushi delivered at lunch time and hanging in the courtyard.

:DRoveer, I wanted to make sure you saw this. The room yoyocruiser is referring to on the Jewel is on Deck 15, accessed by the stairs in the elevator alcove on the Courtyard Deck. It is one large room, with picture windows overlooking the pool and with amazing views. There are snacks in there, coffee and tea, and I believe there are board games. It would be a nice place to hang out with the family.

Also, I think you'll find the Courtyard area is plenty large enough for you.

Just thought of something else -- when the concierge or your butler shows you to your suite the first day, they will definitely suggest you eat at Cagneys. Don't go to the buffet that day unless you have to. It's unbelievably busy.

Have fun. I'm so envious!

Thanks for pointing that out. I think I had it confused with the video arcade. I believe I've seen a few photo's of that space. I've been on a month long search for all things Jewel and someone had posted a bunch of great pics of the Courtyard area, the private stairways, elevators and this concierge room I believe it was called. Will definetly look to use it if things get too crowded. I feel like I've provided for a pretty good "plan b" if the ship is really crowded. Our kids or 12, 9, 6 & 4 so I'm not worried about things being too tight, but I so far I've spoiled the heck out of them with the Walt Disney Suite on DCL and 2 bedroom Villa's at WDW. The last time we stayed at the Grand Floridian in a single room with the 6 of us (little one was 2), it became very apparant that we no longer fit. My problem is, I just hate the connecting room/hotel room thing. It would basically split mom and I up since the kids are so young. For that reason I always end up with these darn expensive suites. Oh, that and all the really great perks too.

You can't forget about the reserved seats in the theatre!! This is really a huge perk. You can waltz in to the show one minute before it starts and sit right down. None of that business with trying to get seats 20 or 30 minutes early. The shows on NCL really are good.

I loved being on the courtyard sundeck for the sail aways. Don't miss being outside for that first sail away. It's so exciting! (the courtyard villas have a seperate deck with posh loungers located one flight up from the courtyard and reserved just for the courtyard and above guest)

Our family loved the courtyard area. The pool was small but heck, so is the main pool! Not having to hassle for loungers is just the best perk. My kids didn't complain at all about the size of that pool. They swam in it for hours. When the next stop in a beach day, they really don't care if the pool is small. Also, the hot tub in the courtyard is actually hot. Not like the warm tubs in the main pool area.

I really wouldn't spend the money for the week long spa pass. I've never had trouble getting a day pass for the spa. I think if there was trouble getting a daily pass you could always ask your conceirge to see what he can do for you. They can pull sold out things off like this! Also, relaxing in the courtyard is like relaxing in the spa.

Get to know the other passangers in the courtyard. I loved meeting these people and we all toured each other's cabins one day.

I loved getting sushi delivered at lunch time and hanging in the courtyard.

Good point about the theater. We will be doing lots of shows. Didn't do them on our first cruise, but loved them on our second. Just one of those things you don't want to slip by. Will definetly make sure I take advantage of the concierge aspect so we can avoid the crowd.

Excellent!!! Just the kind of information I was looking for. Now I know what to do when it's time to leave NYC. Sail aways can be a great point of frustration because it's so darn crowded. Our first DCL sail away was a huge dissapointment, but the 2nd one was a joyful exciting time because we had a plan. Knowing that the private area on top of the courtyard is a good place to be tells me that I don't have to worry about packing in someplace and getting myself all hot and bothered. I also read someone else saying it was a good place to see the statue of liberty and when you went under the Verrazano Bridge. One more thing I can put into my little schedule. You see, I do all of this work now, so when we go on the cruise it all just seems like it should have happened that way. I'm our family cruise director. Nothing worse than standing in the middle of a cruise ship, or WDW for that matter with 4 hungry kids and 2 frazzled adults with everything crowded. I like to get a game plan, know that it will change, but having the input from others here I can get a pretty good idea of what we will like, and what will work for us. Most of the time it makes the vacation so much better. Thanks for that insightful information. Earlier today I was getting a little bummed about the courtyard, now I'm back to looking forward to it and all of the other spaces that are up there.

The courtyard can't really be described - you have to experience it for yourself! DH and I refer to it as an oasis in a sea of people......we've never seen it "crowded", have eaten breakfast, lunch and dinner in the courtyard and all-in-all it's like being on a small private yacht with all of the amenities of a mega-ship! The courtyard is staffed with its own butler and there is also a pool attendant who will gladly bring down a cushion for you to place on the wooden ledge surrounding the pool so that you can lie down in comfort (I actually fell asleep!) - nothing is ever too much....

Enjoy!!

The courtyard can't really be described - you have to experience it for yourself! DH and I refer to it as an oasis in a sea of people......we've never seen it "crowded", have eaten breakfast, lunch and dinner in the courtyard and all-in-all it's like being on a small private yacht with all of the amenities of a mega-ship! The courtyard is staffed with its own butler and there is also a pool attendant who will gladly bring down a cushion for you to place on the wooden ledge surrounding the pool so that you can lie down in comfort (I actually fell asleep!) - nothing is ever too much....

Enjoy!!

We had chicken fingers and other kid friendly food delivered to the stateroom for the grandkids so they could eat at be at kids club when then opened in the evenings. Grandson ate salad and noodles. Granddaughter wanted sliced meat and chicken fingers and carrots. No problems..Randy just always had it there at five. He always asked if there were any changes or anything else. He also had a pitcher of cranberry juice in the fridge in the room ( we had two villas for the seven of us). It was nice not to have to go out to a venue to feed the kids. The courtyard butler also had pineapple boats waiting for us when we returned from shore excursions.( kids love fruit). We ordered breakfast and lunch from the menu in the courtyard everyday ( except when we were off Pearl.) We also had a bridge tour that was great. So if it is offered don't miss it.

On our first courtyard trip ( GEM) sailaway from NYC viewed from deck 15 in the courtyard was amazing. We had all our reservations handled by the conceirge. On embarkation day, we ate in MDR, had the best Tilapia ever. The cheesburgers in the courtyard ( from Cagney's )are the best. Don't bother to get them anywhere else on the ship however, not the same at all.

One word of caution, once in a villa - it will be hard to sail in anything else.

11. Will sign up for behind the scenes tour --I don't think this is part of the suite perks. It's a perk for Platinum level Latitudes people.

We have just been upgraded to an A3 for our cruise on the Pearl in only 26 days!! This will also be our first cruise as Platinum cruisers. I know we are going to love it and I'm sure you will, too. Bon voyage!:D

there are games and snacks up there. there are also cookies and gummy bears in the courtyard in the afternoon. btw, there's also a treadmill and stairmaster in the courtyard, as well as steam rooms. the upper sun deck is rarely crowded.

we used kids crew for the first time in a while on our August (Earl) trip for our 5 year old. He had a great time. don't forget the Nick events -- mostly photo ops, but the younger kids are generally sponge bob fans and got a kick out of it.

register the kids for kids crew the first day. there's usually a meeting after the boat drill (around 5 pm i think) and it's open in the afternoon. it's just two flights down on the midships staircase, right by the video arcade on the port side, which makes it really convenient for villa guests.

and yes, it sleeps six: two in the master bedroom, two at least in the second bedroom and perhaps two on the sofabed in the living room. it will be tight, but manageable. that's why having the courtyard a maximum of 10 steps from your door is so appealing for families.

and your own dvds will play in the dvd player in the villa. you can bring your favorites (we usually end up spending one afternoon or evening watching something as a family, kind of a movie night).

have a great cruise.

Hi all,

going on the pearl in Feb and will be an A3 for the first time (and on only our 2nd cruise ever!). Here's my question:

Our family of 5 is going to be traveling with another family of 3 who are staying elsewhere on the ship. Will we be able to bring them up to our room? How about courtyard access? If we want to enjoy a sail away or a late night drink with them from the courtyard deck, will anyone give us a hard time? How closely do they monitor this type of thing?

Thanks for any help or tips!

...to bring guests up from downstairs to use the courtyard. But use your judgment. If it's crowded with courtyard guests, it might not be a good idea to bring up your friends. On the other hand, if it isn't crowded and you are with them, I'd say why not enjoy your time with them.

We've asked folks up to 14 to see the space (which NCL shouldn't mind as it usually creates more villa passengers for future cruises) and into our GV and occasionally to the courtyard. But we honestly wouldn't know who 'belongs' in the courtyard and who doesn't, certainly not on a 7 day trip.

I would not, however, be happy to find out that people who didn't pay for the courtyard and who were not there accompanied by someone who did pay for it were up there using the facilities. And I wouldn't be happy if the place was filled with people who didn't pay and there was no place for those who did pay to sit and relax or to use the pool or equipment. That's why I suggest that you use your best judgment.

During one of our Cruise Critic meeting onboard, someone in a Villa was complaining very loudly to the Hotel Manager about how the courtyard was crowded with guests and that they were eating all the gummy bears!:eek:

The HD said that they should NOT be there and he would take care of it.

Hi all,

going on the pearl in Feb and will be an A3 for the first time (and on only our 2nd cruise ever!). Here's my question:

Our family of 5 is going to be traveling with another family of 3 who are staying elsewhere on the ship. Will we be able to bring them up to our room? How about courtyard access? If we want to enjoy a sail away or a late night drink with them from the courtyard deck, will anyone give us a hard time? How closely do they monitor this type of thing?

Thanks for any help or tips!

I got my first glimpse of the CV and CY on the Jewel in 2008. Friends had us up to the CV for lunch. They explained that they could only give us a quick walk-through tour of the common areas, like the courtyard and the lounge area. I was really impressed with it and will book a CV next time I have the chance (our last cruise was on the Sun and the AC aft PH are pretty cool too).

I had great respect that my friends said this out of respect for other courtyard guests. It has nothing to do with how utilized or under-utilized it is.

Have a great cruise.

Here are some photos of the Jewel's Courtyard and an A3: http://travel.webshots.com/album/575530353cCEWbk

Thanks so much for the pictures link! We are booking an A3 on the Jade in Oct for 21 days. So excited. Does the Jade differ much from the Jewel? I've heard nothing about a concierge lounge nor game room on the Jade. Does anyone know how the Jade & Jewel's Courtyard differs?

I got my first glimpse of the CV and CY on the Jewel in 2008. Friends had us up to the CV for lunch. They explained that they could only give us a quick walk-through tour of the common areas, like the courtyard and the lounge area. I was really impressed with it and will book a CV next time I have the chance (our last cruise was on the Sun and the AC aft PH are pretty cool too).

I had great respect that my friends said this out of respect for other courtyard guests. It has nothing to do with how utilized or under-utilized it is.

Have a great cruise.

Thanks for the response. We're excited to hear how impressive it is! I would never think of abusing the system. After all, we are paying an awful lot for the privilege of having the Courtyard! Was just wondering what the protocol was.

Thanks.

Thanks so much for the pictures link! We are booking an A3 on the Jade in Oct for 21 days. So excited. Does the Jade differ much from the Jewel? I've heard nothing about a concierge lounge nor game room on the Jade. Does anyone know how the Jade & Jewel's Courtyard differs?

There is no concierge lounge (called "game room" by some) on the Jade, there are Deluxe Owner's Suites up there instead. Other than that, they are almost identical.

Robin

Archived