Azamara v. Seabourn Quest?

cpgrneyes

And finally, I am sure I must be wrong in detecting a hint of sarcasm in the context of your quote from my earlier post.

I'm sure you are wrong...Marja's first language is Dutch, and there's no telling how many others she & René use to converse!). Sometimes "we" English-speakers read too much into 2nd-language (or 3rd-) users without realizing it....!

I am pleased to have sailed with them and gotten to know them a bit, and I seriously doubt that Marja would ever post anything knowingly sarcastic! :)

Paul ;)

sorry...just a bit off-topic here! Back, please....!

Being a "wine buff" myself, with first hand experience of Seabourn ships, naturally I am fully aware of the Seabourn practice with wine offerings - as you may have seen from my earlier posts on this topic. Perhaps it is worth repeating my previous observations. Viz - if you are not happy with the "choice of the day", Seabourn staff will do their very best to find a wine that you like - bringing a few to taste if you wish. There is a list of the complimentary wines available ( 24 listed on my last cruise) that you can get hold of if you press politely. I find this can be useful in making a selection to accompany a particular menu. On occasions Seabourn has been really good in bringing me wines "off list" perhaps recognising my particular interest in wine from my discussion with the head Sommelier at their fine wine tasting seminars. Incidentally, I do recommend attending one of these if you enjoy good wine.

I believe that the above and indeed your helpful input underscores the point I was making in#19 above. Namely it is helpful/best to know that what is being reported is based on personal experience. This hopefully minimises the opportunity for misinformation.

And finally, I am sure I must be wrong in detecting a hint of sarcasm in the context of your quote from my earlier post.

Salud.

Salud to you too!

You are right if you think that you are wrong.... etc.;)

The only thing I meant was: You can only rely on your very own taste and observation.

Marja

Salud to you too!

You are right if you think that you are wrong.... etc.;)

The only thing I meant was: You can only rely on your very own taste and observation.

Marja

Many thanks for your reassuring response. :D

Yes, the more we all share personal experiences, the more fellow cruisers will be able to make informed decisions.

Certainly I have learned lots of useful information about Seabourn from the helpful postings on this board. But I am a little wary of comments about any cruise lines from people who have not experienced them.

I agree with the observations about the wine of the day. The server usually showed up with a suggested pour, but if it were not something that I was interested in, they would readily bring me anything on the complimentary list that they had. In general, I think the complimentary wines were pretty well chosen for value. Most of them seemed to be in the $20 range retail. For example, their Pinot Grigio is Santa Margharita, which is probably the widest distributed Pinot Grigio in the world. It is usually available in grocery and wine stores in the low $20 range. There were a lot of South African, South American, and New Zealand wines among the complimentary selections. There were however, some Italian and French wines as well. I was reasonably satisfied. I guess I wouldn't expect them to liberally pour wines of $100-200 a bottle. It would be pretty easy to consume about half the value of the total cruise fare if that were so.

We had a similar reaction to the complimentary wines on Azamara, and thought they were fine for the most part, and wines that were about $15 to $20 retail. If I wanted a glass of wine at lunch or pre-dinner it was fine, but we did go to the wine list and purchase a bottle for dinner several times which we thought a good use of our OBC! Speaking of which, I'll be looking for one once the penalty fees for cancellation come due!

Archived