Really scared about cave tubing after reading this story!

murphfam4

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2836

Not sure if we should go cave tubing after reading. Is it worth doing? Is Is safe? :confused:

It's the rainy season. The recent run of storms in the Western Caribbean have dumped torentual rains all along the coasts. As a result, the rivers are swollen. You'll note that severl prior excursions were cancelled. These rains have also caused mud slides and drownings amongst local inhabitants. You're going in February after the rains have usually ended. On the opposite end, by early April, you may be bumping your bottom along the shallow river bed. Don't book with a large tour group so your guides can be a bit more flexible and helpful if there are problems. And even though you've ponied up the $$ for this, if conditions don't look safe to you or the area has had very heavy rains within a few days of you arriving, you can always cancel out at the last minute.

I went Cave Tubing in Belize last year with my husband, my sister and my nephew. It was an awesome day.

We were taken on a guided nature walk which was so beautiful and peaceful, the jungle rainforest was really fantastic and the tour guide was so patient and interesting.

The walk was around 30 minutes and when we got to the river, it was so pretty. The water was totally clear, but I did find it a bit cool...i would guess around 75F. I would suggest wearing a t-shirt, I only had on a bikini top.

Our guide, Alex, got us all situated in our tubes and gave us each a head light, then we were off. The slight current made it so we barely had to kick or use our hands, and Alex made sure we were all comfortable then entire time.

We went through two caves and absolutely none of the tour was scary or difficult. It truly was an awesome and really unique tour.

We booked online with Island Marketing and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

If I was asked if i recommend Cave Tubing, the answer would be, without a doubt!

There are 6 of us from my group still planning on cave tubing in Belize, in 2 weeks from now. The excursion we have booked is not through Carnival, and the excursion company does not require advance payment.

I will trust the excursion company to make the decision if the river is in good, safe condition to tube on it the day we arrive. Their livelihood depends on safely managing their customers and resources.

With that being said, it's still hurricane, tropical depression time of the year, and there is another storm brewing in the Caribbean. High water in the river will certainly make me change my mind on what to do in Belize, or anywhere else. My family's safety is uppermost in my mind.

Not like a couple hours at the Wet Lizard would be too terribly hard to take. :)

KCMarie-- could you post a review of your cave tubbing when you get back?

We are going in November, and using cavetubbing.com-- was not worried until I read some of these stories.

Thanks and have a great trip!

Thanks and hopefully Richard will relentlessly enough so as to not make the river so high as to cancel our cave tubing trip.

We sailed on the Carnival Legend on 10-3-10 and went cave tubing in Belize. We used cave-tubing dot com and had an amazing time. Since we did not use the ship excursion we had a much smaller group and had many guides that where able to give us almost one on one attention. The waters were fine but if there was any problems I would have felt completely comfortable with our guides being able to handle it. This was the highlight of our trip and would do it again in a second!

• 4 weeks later...
KCMarie-- could you post a review of your cave tubbing when you get back?

We are going in November, and using cavetubbing.com-- was not worried until I read some of these stories.

Thanks and have a great trip!

Well, unfortunately I can't give a review on the cave tubing in Belize as our excursion was cancelled due to the high water and the park being closed.

We had booked through Major Tom's and they came through with a refund for $12.00 for each of us and took us to Altun Ha ruins which was great!

Minor Tom and Stephanie were our guides for Altun Ha and they were wonderful guides. There were 8 of us in a van who went and we learned a lot about the country of Belize. It truly is a beautiful place and we look forward to going back.

Maybe next time we will get to do the cave tubing, as we were really looking forward to it. Hope your opportunity comes and you get to do the cave tubing!

Archived