Disabled but need input from able bodied veteran cruisers

Thanks for all the encouraging thoughts for cruising with a scooter. After my accident, I never dreamed I would be able to cruise again so I am excited to give it a try. I'm hoping that Mary and JDH will give some specific information on excursions to try in Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Jamaica. We are scheduled to dock in Falmouth Jamaica which I understand is between Ocho Rios and Montego Bay. However, it is questionable whether or not the new port in Falmouth will be ready by Feb 2011 so we may end up docking in either Ocho Rios or Montego Bay.:confused:

Does anyone have experience with a 4-wheel scooter in a cabin? RC told me 24" wide for the doors and my dad's scooter is just that wide, he says. If it can't come in it can be stowed but it'll be a pain to have to get fetched by the steward frequently. It's not a HC cabin but it's a GS so I'm hoping it'll come in the door at least.

Has anyone left a scooter in the hall for long? I asked if that was an option and was told it wasn't recommended, which I assume means it's allowed but be prepared for theft. ?

On the last two cruises, Freedom and Grandeur, there was always a scooter chair left in the hall by the folks in the cabin across from us. They were in an inside cabin so there was not room in there for a chair.

We always laughed about the temptation to steal it for a short ride down the hall. I don't think that stealing the chair is a real problem. Take yours and let him enjoy the cruise.

I mentioned this before. Watch out for the metal humps/bumps. Some are low and not a problem. Others are pretty high and will stop a wheelchair immediately. I think at least some of these are expansion joints for the ship, but I'm not sure. Anyhow, you can be pushing the wheelchair along, not paying attention to the floor, and -- BOOM -- you hit one of these metal bumps. They are all over the ship on all floors.

Yes, we have a handicapped room on Voyager. My main concern is the elevators and crowds but I will not be in any hurry. I went today to a new wonderful H.E.B. grocery - it was kind of a grand opening and there were a ton of people all looking around at everything. I cruised around on the scooter at a snails pace because no one was paying attention to where they were walking. Got a good taste of what it will probably be like on the ship. I found that just taking my time and smiling and being friendly with everyone worked great. :D:D:D:D:D:D

I am disabled and will be cruising on Voyager in Jan 2011. I have posted on the "Disabled" forum but have not had too many replies. I'm hoping that some able bodied veteran cruisers on RCCL will be able to help. The POC will be Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Falmouth. I know that Grand Cayman will be a tender port and Falmouth is questionable. We will be boarding in Galveston and I will have my own scooter (a Pride Elite that breaks down into four pieces) plus a Rollator walker with a seat. I can walk short distances and do some stairs. In Cozumel we plan on getting a taxi to Chankanabb. Any other suggestions or helpful information is greatly appreciated!

Hi,

My wife uses a break down scooter just like yours. It's great. I am able bodied. So, what that means is that your scooter is ideal if you have help, or if you are able to break it down yourself. Your taxi rides at any port will not be an issue. It can easily go into any taxi, not just a HC taxi like some posters mentioned. Getting around in some ports, that have hills, can be issues, and many of the "towns" do not have handicap cut-outs in curbs, or easy to get into a store, but again, if you can walk, than you can park, browse etc, and then be on your way. You will have many options, and your scooter is the best kind to have!

Thanks Havingfun, yes I can walk some and do some stairs as well. I am traveling with DH, DD and 6 inlaws. But I really want to be independent and not be a "drag" on anyone, thus all the research. They may decide to do more adventurous activities and I may be on my own (which I am totally OK with and really prefer going at my own pace) I'm still hoping to get some feedback about activities that are user friendly in the ports of Cozumel, Jamaica and Grand Cayman.

Was also wondering what you do about your scooter if it starts to rain while in port :confused:

Purchase 2 cheap plastic rain ponchos, if it rains use one to cover the rider and seat, use the other to cover the steering column and battery. My husband uses a scooter similar to yours, and he keeps the rain ponchos in a pouch on the back of his seat. We have been rained on several times, and have never had a problem.

I was talking to the special needs dept. I would've thought it'd be firmly disallowed in the hall, too, but that's not what he said. I guess there's room in the halls for housekeeping carts and luggage piles. He did say there's an overnight storage area we could pay for, and the steward would stow it daily for us.

Mary, good to know you've done it. Also good to know about removing the arms! This is why I love forums.

Thanks!

If you have a handicap cabin on Voyager you will not need to remove the arms from the chair or worry about leaving the scooter in the hall... only Sovereign class ships have been a bit of an issue with the scooter and then in a regular cabin. You won't have any cabin issues. As for the elevator, yes you will encounter many rude people who will look right past you like you don't exist... but you will also find kind people who will step aside or hold others back for you to use the elevator etc. Just smile and go with the flow and don't let it ruin your cruise. Sometimes you will have to take a down elevator when you really want to go up but if it is empty it's so much easier. I can't help you on excursions since when he used the scooter we did not do any ship excursions. At Grand Cayman, St. Maarten, Cozumel, Ocho Rios, Nassau, Key West, San Juan, St. Thomas and probably a few others we take the scooter off by the gangway or tender and simply drive the scooter around shopping and site seeing... there is always something in walking distance and he drove the scooter and I comfortably walked next to it...we always enjoyed ourselves... and I am certain you will do the same. Have a wonderful cruise

Have you considered getting a handicapped cabin. Wider doorways, no sills in the bathroom area including the shower and many aids for people in wheelchairs. And the smallest, an inside, is 250 ft sq. almost as big as a JS but at an inside price.

Nice pics! What ship was this if you dont mind i ask? :)

I have an inside HC (4017) on the Radiance and cant find pics anywhere.

Would this happen to be a Radiance class ship by chance?

Nice pics! What ship was this if you dont mind i ask? :)

My pictures are of the Explorer, the identical twin to the Voyager. Notice both the bathroom pictures are the same.

First thing, ask the cabin steward for extra towels on a continuing basis to set up berms just outside the shower grills to stop the overflow of water. The grills can't keep up with the quantity of water produced by the shower. Also barricade the inside of the bathroom floor or the water will seep into the cabin. Look at my first picture and the water stain on the carpet outide of the bathroom door.

My webshots album on Explorer Dec 2008 has another 6 pictures of this cabin.

Hello,

I am writting because as a veteran cruiser I have not only done my fair share of traveling but as of the last 4/5 cruises I have cruised with my grandad (who got me hooked on RCI.) He has recently needed assistance in traversing those huge ships. We have used the rental wheel chairs. The would take more time to practice for a gentlemen like hime self with Parkinsons. Our last several cruises on the Freedom class ships And Voyager class ships he did just fine with the wheel chair. Now I pushed my grandad everywhere ( i felt i should seeing as he has been like a father to me for the last 15 years of my life) and has taken me on 6 of the 9 cruises that I have been on. I realize however being a medical student who has worked with people who utilize wheelchairs that this is a daunting task to wheel your self around the ship. If you are traveling with another person who is not in a wheelchair maybe they can share in some pushing.

The wheel chair is great for most tendered ports of call as well. I as of the last cruise that I took with grandpa on any of the tendered ports they actually let him use the wheel chair on the tender in little spot ... or if he could not use it most of the tender people had no problem helping pops Down the steps and into a seat a pivot away from the steps.

The beach wheel chair for sure helped when we were on the beach .. Though one man from St. Marteen Picked grandad (250lbs) up and carried him to a lounge chair. That was really nice.

If you can (cost effectively) rent a wheelchair and take ur power scooter as well. You can call RCI and inquire about medical issues wheater or not the tenders are wheel chair friendly still are. If they are it might be in your best interest to use a wheelchair for those tender days. And the Scooter for gangway disembarkation/embarkation for the ports as well as the ship. Most importantly Enjoy your self!!! Most people on a cruise want to have fun. While some people are rude not every1 is and they will almost always get out of the way. And will be quite curteous to you anyway. You paid just the same as every1 else. I hope this helps and I hope you enjoy your cruise.

My pictures are of the Explorer, the identical twin to the Voyager. Notice both the bathroom pictures are the same.

First thing, ask the cabin steward for extra towels on a continuing basis to set up berms just outside the shower grills to stop the overflow of water. The grills can't keep up with the quantity of water produced by the shower. Also barricade the inside of the bathroom floor or the water will seep into the cabin. Look at my first picture and the water stain on the carpet outide of the bathroom door.

My webshots album on Explorer Dec 2008 has another 6 pictures of this cabin.

That should read "bathroom door"

and[/b]

outside

....... It always amazes me how able bodied walking people divert to intentionally walk up or down the ramp rather than step over the curb - thereby blocking the only route we have. .

I have had problems with people who don't know I am handicaped. (4 strokes and 2 bouts of cancer.) I often fall when there are curbs. Also, I cannot stand for very long. I must walk as much as I can to prevent another stoke. My MD has told me NOT to get a chair, and to walk out of my way to avoid things like curbs. So now you know that some people need to use those ramps too.

• 4 weeks later...

I was unaware of how many ports are difficult to maneuver in a scooter until I started using one. If you look around in port, the locals are not likely to be in wheelchairs, let alone scooters. So no need to have ramps or curb cut-outs.

I've found that besides those being rude, many just don't see you. They are looking straight ahead - not down.

Other advice - transport chair is hard to push, uncomfortable, and passenger is stuck. No way for them to move around at all.

• 5 months later...

Thank you for the insightful information. We have just started travelling w/a motorized scooter and YES, Yes, Yes....people are very rude and I have literally just moved on into the elevator -- "like we were her first!!!''. My question - do you have any pointers on airline travel with the motorized scooter. We have a cruise upcoming in Sept. which requires us to fly to Cape Liberty from Tampa, FL. It will be the first time "flying" with the scooter. Thank u so much.

Too bad he couldn't just say something like "EXCUSE ME! You know I would love to change places with you and walk instead of sitting here but I can't. So do you 'MIND MOVING a few inches over."

Please tell your uncle that not everyone is like those rude people. Since I grew up in the early 60s with a classmate who had had polio (the steel brace from his neck all the way down his spine) and walked with crutches I make it a point to give anyone in wheel chairs and scooters the right of the way. My sister and I have even stopped people from getting on elevators to allow a person in a wheel chair to get on.

You would be amazed at what some people do. I use a walker and try to keep on the far right, on every cruise a few people have walked right up to the front of me and forced me to move over, on the elevators if I am in the back they get furious when they see the space the walker takes up, I won't even tell you what some have said.Next time we go I am going to get one of those bicycle flags that stick up in the air. I just laugh and go on as most people are decent and kind, I just feel sorry for the others.;)

I found that just taking my time and smiling and being friendly with everyone worked great. :D:D:D:D

Love your outlook, saintbernardlover, and I'm certain that this is the best way to handle the situation!;)

Nice pics! What ship was this if you dont mind i ask?

ryano, those pictures of the Explorer stateroom look very much like our H/C Radiance stateroom, although it was a balcony. We were assigned it (not needing it), but enjoyed the spacious 250 s.f., and as a TA at the time, it was good to see it first hand.

'Walk a mile in my shoes', eh teajak? :rolleyes:

Catladyesq...

Check out the following link. Very helpful. Scroll down article by article to section flying with scooter.

http://www.disabilitytravel.com/accessible-travel-tips.htm

I really appreciated this thread being brought back to life. I had not seen the pics of the HC cabins on Voyager class ships. Our next on Mariner (that class) is an HC balcony. Cruise this past Feb was our first try of an HC and it was so much better than fighting with the wheelchair in a regular one and the flip down shower seat was great for my wife and her balance issues.

Also in my earlier post I mentioned lack of wheelchair parking in the theater (Radiance class ships). Not so! We found a row of movable chairs (at the top of the main floor in front of a counter) with the little blue & white wheelchair symbols above them. If they are needed for a wheelchair but occupied the ushers will ask AB people to sit elsewhere. Best to go early though. ALSO... a secret passage (well not so secret really) to the bottom of the main floor. The first 3-4 rows of seats are ramped (no steps). The trick is to go down one deck below the theater entrance (deck 4) and go to the hallway with cabins. Go forward to the end at the "crew only door". Go through there and continue forward to a door intro the theater. No place to park wheelchair and sit in it but if the person can transfer to an aisle seat the chair can be parked under the stairway at the side of the theater. We did this several times on Serenade.

I have read thru this thread twice and bit my lip at some of the replies. If you don't know the policies for a fact, just go somewhere else and post something about tips or swimming pool depth or something. You can reserve handicap rooms with paperwork that says some sorry rat with a collapsible cane who forgets which leg to limp on day to day wanting a bigger cabin to sleep four persons should be moved. You can leave scooters in hall. You can use tenders if transfer officer feels it can be done safely. You can allow steward to store scooter and not pay anything extra. You can be seated most anywhere in the dining room within reason. You can drink from a coffee mug at dinner if it helps you hold your beverage easier. You can request a refrigerator for insulin and heart medications without paying extra. You can sit in theatre and if you are near blind, they will help find you seats near the front and help you transfer to them. I am over fifty and now have mother who is handicapped and decreasing eye site and I and wife will block elevators to back her in and hold doors open enough to slow flow sometimes to keep from grinding the wheels and walk abreast behind her to keep some from blowing over her like a tackle plunge. We will move her like a human being and not freight. We will stop your renegade child from running her over or even stupid adults or drunk adults. We don't ask for you to go out of your way for us and we don't ask for anything that makes someone else go without, but we tried the quiet nice route and asking nicely for persons to move from middle of aisles while conversing and waiting and dodging and avoiding area's and doing recon to find less travelled routes and finally decided our mother would move about as best we could slowly move her without endangering her. If some of the things said on here were fact, Holland America would stop sailing with senior citizens. We encountered many elderly and handicap before and always were thankful we could operate on our own, but now that we are older and have someone who needs our help every hour of the day, we have circled the wagons against idiots and the plain rude. Most children are products of their enviroment and learn if someone cares enough to explain. One day we will all need someone's help.

I agree - this is what we have found aboaut 90% of the time. People are very helpful and understanding. I always walk ahead of my hubby's scooter -- the on point guard. Without using the mobility scooter our cruising days would be over and my better half at 93 can't wait for our next cruise.

Archived