allowed off at Colon?

porrah

We are on the Zuiderdam going in and out of the canal in a couple of weeks. There seem to be conflicting opinions as to whether we are even allowed off the ship - we are there 3 - 7 p.m. Does anyone know for sure? I'm not talking ship canal excursions - just wandering (I know, not on your own - safety etc). Apparently the free zone is close by and quite something to see.

it all depends on how quick you are allowed to exit the canal (i'm assuming you are not taking an excursion).

when i did this itinerary, the ship got stuck in line waiting to exit the locks. ended up having less than an hour (40 minutes IIRC) at colon, which just just long enough to jump off and buy a trinket at the shops on the pier.

the shops at the pier offer interesting local crafts. I bought a hand made basket with interesting design and that shop had a woman crafting a larger basket with butterflys that would sell for several hundred dollars and well worth it. Also a number of shops sell hand made animal masks that are great on the wall or for kids. I enjoyed that port very much.

In 07 when we were on the Volendam to Panama we were warned on board that if we arrived back in Colon from our ship's excursion before the Volendam made it back from the canal, we were not to leave the terminal and wander around. They said it was just not safe. That is the only time we have ever been warned about a port in that way.

Archived