Eze or St Paul and Rothchild gardens

jeanne_boston

We are docking in Villefranche 10am - 8pm on Sunday Oct. 31. We would like to go to Eze or St Paul and end our day

with a tour of the Rothchild Gardens. I've used information from the many posts here to plan the Eze or SPV portion (many thanks).

Is trying to do both on a Sunday too ambitious? Any suggestions or thoughts on the plan would be greatly appreciated, especially getting back to the ship for an 8 pm sailing.

Jeanne

I would for sure do St.Paul. We did both on our trip and St. Paul was by far much better. We hired a driver and spent a little extra money so we could see everything we wanted. We started in Nice then went to St.Paul after that Monaco and we ended the day in Eze. We also got back to the ship about 6:30 PM if my memory serves me correct. If you can swing it I would try to get a driver to take you where you want to go. Let me know if you have any other questions!

We visited Cannes, Nice, Eze, Monaco and St. Paul all in one day. We used Revelation Tours and they were great. If you tell them what you want to accomplish, they will customize your tour and make the most out of the time you have while in port.

I am not sure how long it would take to visit Ephrussi de Rothschild Villa and Gardens. We did not go there, but I would like to!

We loved Saint Paul de Vence and hope to return some day.

Have a wonderful time in the French Riviera. The views are amazing.

Bonsoir, Jeanne

Eze and St Paul are quite similar medieval villages, even though Eze is much smaller and closer to Villefranche. If you consider going to St Paul, you may rather focus on that larger village, since it is also a longer journey there.

Busses run not as frequently on a Sunday, but you might have found that out from schedules published on the net already.

The Villa Ephrussi Rothschild is a wonderful, romantic place, large themed gardens and an astonishing villa with fantastic interior. Since the sun is setting already around 6 p.m. End of October, I would suggest you visit the Villa first to take advantage of day light. A visit of the gardens take up to one hour, the ground floor of the Villa approx. 30 minutes. The amazing upper floor of the Villa can only be visited with a guided tour, which takes another 30 minutes. Have a coffee break at the Café on the ground floor, a sunny place with an beautiful view of the Bay of Villefranche.

Afterwards, you have the rest of the day to venture to St Paul.

Enjoy!

I have been to St Paul as well as Eze and the Gardens and If you are someone who really appreciates beautiful Gardens and fantastic scenary and views then I would definitely opt for Eze and the Villa Ephrussi Rothschild. I agree with the other post that I would go to the gardens first and do not be surprised if you end up spending more time there than planned. We have visited gardens all over the world and I think that this one with the villa and views easily tops them all! To add to this after the gardens I would make a short stop in Beaulieu which is a beautiful and quaint town that is right next to the villa and is on the water. This town was frequented by the wealthy at the turn of the century and is well worth a visit of an hour and perhaps lunch at a reastaurant on the water. Whether or not you stop at Beaulieu the last stop would be Eze to end your day and lunch here would not be so terrible either but I think the timing would be better for lunch at either Beaulieu or at the Villa. Whatever you decide you will not be disappointed. Enjoy!

Peace,

Rodan

Archived