Questions about the Majesty-Western Caribbeann

QuestionGirl

Hi!

We're taking the Majesty Mid-March and have a few questions - hoping someone who has taken the majesty can help us out with some of them:

-Not sure yet if we are going to fly or drive to SC - how far is the dock from the Charleston airport? A reasonable cab ride?

-If we drive, its going to be quite the trek (from Toronto) - If the ship leaves at 4, what is the latest time we can reasonably arrive?

-We'll likely have to make some phone calls from the ship - are the rates outrageous? Is there anywhere the ship goes that cells work? Is it possible to bring phone cards and use them from the ship or ports?

-Is room service included, or is there a charge for it?

-Which of the restaurants have a sur-charge?

-Is the beach chair area on the ship large, or is it hard to get a chair?

-I didn't see a movie theater on the plans, but I thought I remember someone saying they sometimes show movies in the theater - is this true, and if so, are they current movies or old ones?

-Can you buy a pop card on this ship like the other ones?

-Our tickets/documents are apparently "Port Pickup" - has anyone else had this - is it a long wait?

-Is it hard to get a private table for two at dinner?

thanks in advance for your help!!:)

Hi QuestionGirl.

We are sailing Majesty in mid-march also...March 12 to be exact. When are you going?

I'll have a go at some of your questions. I'm sure if you keep reading the boards you will find many answers already posted in previous threads!

If we drive, its going to be quite the trek (from Toronto) - If the ship leaves at 4, what is the latest time we can reasonably arrive?

We are driving from Columbus, Ohio. We plan to arrive at 11:30 am after stopping somewhere half-way to sleep and freshen up. I would suspect 2:30 pm would be pushing it because of having to park (if you drive), take the shuttle, check your bags, etc. If you taxi, you save the parking/shuttle steps and are dropped right at the pier I believe. If you have not cruised with NCL in the past, expect to wait 1-2 hours in line before getting on the ship.

-We'll likely have to make some phone calls from the ship - are the rates outrageous? Is there anywhere the ship goes that cells work? Is it possible to bring phone cards and use them from the ship or ports?

You can make calls from the ship. I'm not sure about the cost as I have never used this service. It is my understanding that cell phones will work for a little while on Sunday when the ship is off the coast of Florida. Not sure about Mexico or GC...maybe if you have international service. Should work fine once in Key west. You may want to find a calling card to use from port...just be careful that it will work FROM the country you're calling from and TO the country you will be calling. There are many online services that sell instant calling cards through e-mail. While I cannot speak to the reputation of all such places, the two I have used in the past worked fine (sorry, can't remember which ones they were).

Included (plus a 15% tip I think?) We've never done this. Anyone?

On Majesty, only LeBistro has a surcharge. Pasta Cafe requires a reservation, but is no charge. We found the food in the main dining rooms to be fine.

Majesty is a relatively small ship. When we were there a couple of years ago, I didn't have a problem...but I am an early riser!

-I didn't see a movie theater on the plans, but I thought I remember someone saying they sometimes show movies in the theater - is this true, and if so, are they current movies or old ones?

I do not remember there being a movie theater or them showing movies in a theater. I may have missed it though. The TV in your room will show relatively new movies like ones now showing in the second run theaters if I remember correctly.

-Can you buy a pop card on this ship like the other ones? Yes. I think it's around $29 US for the week, per person. We also have not done this in the past as you can get milk, juice, coffee, iced tea and maybe lemonade for free. Not big pop drinkers.

--Is it hard to get a private table for two at dinner?

Not really. You usually have a 10-20 minute wait which is comparable to most restaurants at home. We preferred the smaller dining room the "Four Seasons" which is located midships to the larger one located near the noisy engines. You do not have to do group dining with Freestyle...part of the reason we like it so much!

I'm sure you will have lots of fun on this cruise! There are some postings where people have put up webshots of the Freestyle Dailies (daily newsletter you get in your cabin) and I think, even the menus form the various dining rooms. here is one:

http://community.webshots.com/user/tpokels

Happy cruising!

Chantal

We were on the Majesty Feb 5-11....

Hi QuestionGirl.

We are sailing Majesty in mid-march also...March 12 to be exact. When are you going?

I'll have a go at some of your questions. I'm sure if you keep reading the boards you will find many answers already posted in previous threads!

If we drive, its going to be quite the trek (from Toronto) - If the ship leaves at 4, what is the latest time we can reasonably arrive?

We are driving from Columbus, Ohio. We plan to arrive at 11:30 am after stopping somewhere half-way to sleep and freshen up. I would suspect 2:30 pm would be pushing it because of having to park (if you drive), take the shuttle, check your bags, etc. If you taxi, you save the parking/shuttle steps and are dropped right at the pier I believe. If you have not cruised with NCL in the past, expect to wait 1-2 hours in line before getting on the ship.

We took a taxi from the airport right up to the pier, costs $10 each and the trip was about 15 minutes. Very easy. We didn't wait long in the line, about 30 minutes, it went quickly and was very organized.

You can make calls from the ship. I'm not sure about the cost as I have never used this service. It is my understanding that cell phones will work for a little while on Sunday when the ship is off the coast of Florida. Not sure about Mexico or GC...maybe if you have international service. Should work fine once in Key west. You may want to find a calling card to use from port...just be careful that it will work FROM the country you're calling from and TO the country you will be calling. There are many online services that sell instant calling cards through e-mail. While I cannot speak to the reputation of all such places, the two I have used in the past worked fine (sorry, can't remember which ones they were).

Included (plus a 15% tip I think?) We've never done this. Anyone?

there is no charge for 24-hour room service. They like to receive a tip, but not required. Also, the room service menu is very small....but you can order anything that is available on the buffets and menus....we did it with no problem.

On Majesty, only LeBistro has a surcharge. Pasta Cafe requires a reservation, but is no charge. We found the food in the main dining rooms to be fine.

I agree, the main dining rooms were very good.

Majesty is a relatively small ship. When we were there a couple of years ago, I didn't have a problem...but I am an early riser!

There are no lounge chairs by the pool....there's no room for them, the ship is too small. There are regular table and chairs tho. You have to go up to the sun deck where there were plenty of lounge chairs....we didn't experience any problem getting a chair at any time...

I do not remember there being a movie theater or them showing movies in a theater. I may have missed it though. The TV in your room will show relatively new movies like ones now showing in the second run theaters if I remember correctly.

No movie theater....pretty good movies on tv..

-Can you buy a pop card on this ship like the other ones? Yes. I think it's around $29 US for the week, per person. We also have not done this in the past as you can get milk, juice, coffee, iced tea and maybe lemonade for free. Not big pop drinkers.

Soda cards are available for $28.75. In the mornings there is apple, orange, cranberry juices, coffee, tea, milk and water. Didn't have any lemonade. Oh, and at night all those drink areas are closed up, which sucked.

--Is it hard to get a private table for two at dinner?

Not really. You usually have a 10-20 minute wait which is comparable to most restaurants at home. We preferred the smaller dining room the "Four Seasons" which is located midships to the larger one located near the noisy engines. You do not have to do group dining with Freestyle...part of the reason we like it so much!

We ate in both dining rooms and they were each nice in their own way. Didn't notice any engine noise, but then again, our stateroom was directly over the engines, which was VERY loud, so maybe I was just used to it!! hahhaha.....

I'm sure you will have lots of fun on this cruise! There are some postings where people have put up webshots of the Freestyle Dailies (daily newsletter you get in your cabin) and I think, even the menus form the various dining rooms. here is one:

http://community.webshots.com/user/tpokels

Happy cruising!

Chantal

Have a great time.

Archived