stung by something BIG on an ATV jungle tour

GinDon

My son, who is on vacation in Cancun, went on a jungle ATV excursion a couple of days ago. He got stung by something he can only describe as HUGE, over a couple of inches big. Said he immediately felt the venom go in his shoulder area, and it burned like fire. He experienced some scary sensations, pain in the throat, throat closing up on him, difficulty breathing, blurred vision, and almost fainted. Symptoms lasted about 20 minutes. Obviously he was having an extreme allergic reaction (what is it they call that........anaphalactic shock?). We want to discuss this with his physician, but have no clue what could have stung him. Does anyone have any idea what lives in those jungles that could have stung him? I've done some research, but am coming up empty. Any ideas are appreciated.

I assume we're talking about an insect. Could be a Tabano (large yellow fly, similar to a horsefly); some people suffer severe allergic reactions (yes, it's anaphylactic shock, and it's really serious), others seem completely immune. Can you describe the thing in terms of color, etc?

He was bitten on the back shoulder area. By chance, someone was taking a picture of him at just the moment he got stung..........you can see he is slapping at his back, and has a big grimace on his face. But, can't see the insect, it would have blended in with the jungle. He said he felt like he had been stabbed in the back, it was that painful. He DID get a look at it, as it flew off. Says it was definitely not a bee (I was thinking killer bee), that it was big like a hummingbird, and had a long "something" sticking out of it. He thinks if he saw a picture of it, he would recognize it.

The tour guide kept saying there was nothing poisonous out there, but later told him, that if he got to feeling worse, to tell him, and he could give him something that would "buy him a couple of hours". A couple of hours. Terrific.

Strangely, they soon arrived at a cenote, and he went in, and the cold water seemed to bring him out of it. But, he started coughing the next day, and was congested for days after, his voice even went deeper.

Thankfully, he is now safely home and is back to normal. But we still would like to have an idea what stung him, so we can follow up on it.

Thank you for your interest. Hope I have given you something to go on.

First off this was no anaphalactic reaction, nor likely any allergic reaction whatsoever. Allergic reactions, especially severe ones, do not go away in 20 minutes. Hives appear, sweating profusely as the vasodiolation occurs. Airway swells and breathing becomes difficult. At that stage Epinepherine is what is needed to reverse the immediate life threats. As no emergency treatment was required it sounds more likely that he experienced an anxiety attack and NOT an allergic reaction. Time to stop worrying and increasing everyones anxiety.

Well, he did not get hives, or any reddening or swelling of the area. Maybe it wasn't an allergic reaction after all, and this gives me some comfort. I have to say though, that an anxiety attack seems out of character for him. This is a bungee jumping, skydiving, daredevil. Hard to imagine a sting would send him in such a tizzy. In any case, he's fine now, that's what counts. Next time he's going to bring bug spray and slather it on!

Thanks for the replies.

GinDon, I have no idea what exactly bit your son, but I am glad he is feeling better. I understand the length of anaphylactic shock depends on any number of things, including the allergen prompting the reaction, the actual exposure, the sensitivity of the individual, etc. According to medical literature (and I just asked my physician about this) the symptoms and effects of anaphylactic shock can last from a few minutes to several hours. What does your son's doctor say?

Glad you're trying to track down some answers. I'd be interested in hearing what this was.

Side topic: I'm wondering what would prompt a stranger's dismissive response to your concerns, especially since I've always found the people in this community so kind and helpful.

• 2 months later...
GinDon, I have no idea what exactly bit your son, but I am glad he is feeling better. I understand the length of anaphylactic shock depends on any number of things, including the allergen prompting the reaction, the actual exposure, the sensitivity of the individual, etc. According to medical literature (and I just asked my physician about this) the symptoms and effects of anaphylactic shock can last from a few minutes to several hours. What does your son's doctor say?

Glad you're trying to track down some answers. I'd be interested in hearing what this was.

Side topic: I'm wondering what would prompt a stranger's dismissive response to your concerns, especially since I've always found the people in this community so kind and helpful.

I was wondering the same thing.

Glad to hear your son is well! :)

I, too, was a little miffed by the not-so-nice response, but.........

Thank you, yes my son is doing fine. He did finally go see a doctor, because coughing and congestion lasted weeks after the sting (and, started soon after, out of the blue). Chest X-ray came out fine. Doctor had no real answers, but definitely felt it was a bad reaction to whatever he got stung by.

Something good came of this........Dr. convinced my son to quit smoking!

I, too, was a little miffed by the not-so-nice response, but.........

Something good came of this........Dr. convinced my son to quit smoking!

My wife quit in 3 months after 30 years of smoking using Chantix. We even bought it in Mexico since our insurance didn't cover that medication.

• 3 weeks later...

Might it have been a Dobsonfly? Photo here:

http://www.insectidentification.org/insect-description.asp?identification=Dobsonfly

there are also some tropical Mexican insect photos found at this very entertaing blogsite:

http://www.playa.info/playa-del-carmen-forum/34824-mexican-insect-pictures-blimey.html

Archived