Antarctica Cruises on Azamara

DiamondPlusDan

I have not seen the announcement but I have sailed on the Quest twice. This is not a ship I would want to sail through the dreaded Drake's Passage. Normally I love the small ship but it does not handle rough water well at all.

Smaller companies like Hurtigruten actually go to Anartica and you get multiple landings weather permitting. That's the way I would go. Or if the sail by is enough for you I'd look for a larger more stable ship.

I did the 70 day cruise around South America & Antarctica last Jan. on Holland America's Prisendam, which is a small ship of 700 passengers. I don't know if the Quest & Prisendam are equally sea worthy, but here are a few observations. We had 2-3 days around the Antarctic penninsula, which is the only area the larger ships go. It was the highlight of the trip for me: absolutely breathtaking, awe inspiring. No, we could not get off the ship, but visiting numerous locations there was definitely not just a drive-by. I should point out that we luckily had relatively calm seas coming & going across the Drake's Passage. Also, as is always the case, a visit to Antarctica is very weather related. A definite place to visit someday, maybe on a larger ship.....maybe not. Hope this helps you. paunch

We sailed on the Journey in January, 2008, around South America and into Antarctica. We had calm seas around Drake's Passage going down and rougher seas coming back. Some passengers experienced seasickness, but because the passage was during the night, most of us slept right through it.

The scenery of Antarctica is beyond spectacular and the three days that we spent cruising around there are three of the best days cruising I have ever had. We were fortunate to have had Captain Carl with us. What a treasure he is.

I have not seen the announcement but I have sailed on the Quest twice. This is not a ship I would want to sail through the dreaded Drake's Passage. Normally I love the small ship but it does not handle rough water well at all.

Smaller companies like Hurtigruten actually go to Anartica and you get multiple landings weather permitting. That's the way I would go. Or if the sail by is enough for you I'd look for a larger more stable ship.

If the OP wants to do landings I would suggest looking at Abercrombie & Kent. Another option is SilverSea and we were on the PAII in the Arctic. If one can you Antarctica with landings we highly recommend it.

On the other hand we have friends who did this itinerary with Journey a few years ago and it still is their favorite cruise ever. They were happy with a drive by and loved Captain Carl as do we.

Our favorite cruise of all time was Antarctica with Regent on the Exporer II (now Minerva). We had many landings but it is a small ship and we had several days of very turbulent seas, shutters on the lower deck portholes and drawers slamming open and shut etc. Not a trip for the weak of stomach. But still the trip of a lifetime for sure.

------------------

Helen

Our favorite cruise of all time was Antarctica with Regent on the Exporer II (now Minerva). We had many landings but it is a small ship and we had several days of very turbulent seas, shutters on the lower deck portholes and drawers slamming open and shut etc. Not a trip for the weak of stomach. But still the trip of a lifetime for sure.

------------------

Helen

Well, it was one of our top 3 cruises of all time too (Azamara Quest in Asia being in the top 3 as well). We went on Minerva with Swan Hellenic/A&K and I recommended contacting A & K because Minerva is no longer in Antarctica but they are using another ship. A&K hires all of the naturalists and speakers.

Archived