Fuel Surcharges?

THEWIFE

:eek: I have just received an email from an online travel agency offering a deal on the Queen Mary. I happened to notice that there is mention of a fuel surcharge of $27.95 pp. Is this something that the QM routinely does, or is this a new thing?

I am not throwing this question out to be accused of setting panic into the hearts of cruisers such as myself. This is merely a question that I would like to hear the answer to, since this is the first mention I have heard of a fuel surcharge being applied.

Thanks for your responses.

:eek: I have just received an email from an online travel agency offering a deal on the Queen Mary. I happened to notice that there is mention of a fuel surcharge of $27.95 pp. Is this something that the QM routinely does, or is this a new thing?

I am not throwing this question out to be accused of setting panic into the hearts of cruisers such as myself. This is merely a question that I would like to hear the answer to, since this is the first mention I have heard of a fuel surcharge being applied.

With quick search of the Cunard site I was able to find an answer for you.

On May 5 of this year Cunard announced that any bookings made after May 10 for sailing dates after November 1, 2010 would be subject to a fuel supplement fee of $3.85 pp/day to a maximum of $154.00 pp.

Here is a link to their site.... http://www.cunard.com/About-Cunard-Line/Fuel-Supplement/

I hope that answers your question, however, you might want to ask the members over on the Cunard forum for any additional information if you need it.... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54

I am sure that once one of the mass market lines begin charging a fuel supplement again, all the rest will follow suit.

The Queen Mary is sitting in Long Beach and is not going anywhere. I don't see why there should be a fuel surcharge.

IMGP0149.jpg

Funny, but obviously you are not aware that cruise lines are now considering applying fuel surcharge to any fuel you use getting to the ship in the first place, even it that ship is not going anywhere.

They are also considering surcharges on the air you breath whilst in a location that ship stop at, or pass by within 100 miles, and that is not to mention the "chew tax" which will be for each chew taken on any meal consumed on board or within site of a ship. :D

The Queen Mary is sitting in Long Beach and is not going anywhere. I don't see why there should be a fuel surcharge.

IMGP0149.jpg

Chef Christoph: Thank you so much for your response. You always seem to know the answers.

As for you, ChipLondon: I enjoyed your answer. I like your sense of humor. However, you forgot the lounge chair surcharge. Can't leave that out . . .

By the way, although the charge was $27.95 pp, I believe that that was the supplemental charge for the entire cruise.

Like you, Chef, I can't help but believe that we are shortly in for a similar increase! :eek: Hope I'm wrong.

Archived