transfer from nyc to cruise terminal

MARIGOLD52

We are on the 27th November caribbean cruise but will be staying in new york at grand hyatt on 25th and 26th. What time should we arrange to be picked up to get to the cruise terminal in good time to board and any car services anyone recommends please . chris x

progress.gifedit.gif

Leaving the hotel between 11 and 12 will give you plenty of time to get to the terminal.

A car service is not really necessary. The area in front of the Grand Hyatt is one of the best places in the City for getting a taxi. There are usually some waiting at the door of the hotel and if not, Grand Central is next door and taxis line up in front of that. It is, however, a good idea to bring along a set of directions on how to get to the Brooklyn terminal as there are still some drivers who do not know its location.

I recommend a taxi over a car service as they are usually much less expensive. Be sure you have directions to the Brooklyn Cruise terminal as not all drivers are familiar with it, though the last couple of years, its been no problem.

I usually leave about 11 am, and arrive about 11:30, By the time you have cleared security and checked in, Cunard is usually ready to board you at noon. That way, you can find your way to your stateroom or suite.

If your a grills customer, there will be lunch served at 1:30 in the Queens and Princess Grills. I am not sure that the Britannia Dining room is open for lunch, perhaps passengers who dined there can add to this.

Enjoy your voyage

Mike.

I use a car service because they know exactly where they are going and Arecibo are no more than a cab charges. They took me from Brooklyn to 5th Avenue and 58th Street one morning for $32 which I thought was pretty good. There is also the luggage issue, if you have a lot it won't fit in the back of a cab as they are mostly full of spare wheels and greasy cloths. The Britannia is not open for joining passengers merely for those in transit. It is King's Court or nothing, but if you get there early it is OK (barely) and you will find a seat.

We used a car service and were very happy with them. Much more room to relax. Same cost as a taxi. If using a taxi service you also run the risk of them not wanting to go to Brooklyn. They like getting a fare coming back which is not always possible.

Thank you all so very much for the information. I will arrange a car service I think as I have heard before that taxis are not keen to go to the cruise terminal. I will take the advice on timings as well. regards chris

Hi Marigold. I thing you've made a good decision in planning on using a car service, especially considering that 27 Nov is a busy day in NYC. The City will be filled with visitors here for the Thanksgiving Day Parade on 25 Nov, and for shopping the special sales in the following days. As a result, cabs may not be as readily available as they usually are in NYC. Hope you enjoy the Thanksgiving Holiday, followed by a wonderful voyage!:)

Cheers,

Salacia

We used Arecibo for transfer from 42nd Street (Helmsley Hotel) to Brooklyn. I rang them the day before but they weren't really interested in taking a booking. They said to ring when we actually wanted a car. I called them from pay phone in hotel and by the time I returned to room they were on the phone waiting outside. They did request a cell phone number but as mine doesn't work in US not much use. They accepted hotel number. They charged agreed fee of $27. Nice car, no hassle. That was May 2009. I am quite happy to recommend them. Some other people staying a few streets away paid $50+ with a different company and I had heard tales of some wiseguy taxi drivers who "get lost" etc.

We used Arecibo for transfer from 42nd Street (Helmsley Hotel) to Brooklyn. I rang them the day before but they weren't really interested in taking a booking. They said to ring when we actually wanted a car. I called them from pay phone in hotel and by the time I returned to room they were on the phone waiting outside. They did request a cell phone number but as mine doesn't work in US not much use. They accepted hotel number. They charged agreed fee of $27. Nice car, no hassle. That was May 2009. I am quite happy to recommend them. Some other people staying a few streets away paid $50+ with a different company and I had heard tales of some wiseguy taxi drivers who "get lost" etc.

This is common with Arecibo they don't function well when booked in advance but call them and order a car within 15 minutes and they are there. Strange to most people but it works very well.

How about from Penn Station? Lots of taxis there - wouldn't that be better than a car service because I wouldn't know where to find the car service - too many entrances and exits in Penn Station. When I come to New York I take the AMTRAK from Washington DC.

Thoughts and suggestions, or both?

Regards. Jon.

How about from Penn Station? Lots of taxis there - wouldn't that be better than a car service because I wouldn't know where to find the car service - too many entrances and exits in Penn Station. When I come to New York I take the AMTRAK from Washington DC.

Thoughts and suggestions, or both?

Regards. Jon.

The service could meet you at a street corner that you nominate, they have their sign displayed. You won't be the first person that they have met I am sure. NY Cabs can't hold much luggage so it is up to you to decide. :)

The service could meet you at a street corner that you nominate, they have their sign displayed. You won't be the first person that they have met I am sure. NY Cabs can't hold much luggage so it is up to you to decide

Thank you Cap'n.

Jon.

We will be traveling to Penn Station on Dec 8th , traveling on the QM2, and will need transportation to the Brooklyn Cruise docks....I just got off the phone w/ Arecibo and they do look to be a great deal, they quoted $26/vehicle , that is for 2 pax and 4 bags... They said to just call them the day before. It's got to be better than dealing with the taxi drivers!!;)

We will be traveling to Penn Station on Dec 8th , traveling on the QM2, and will need transportation to the Brooklyn Cruise docks....I just got off the phone w/ Arecibo and they do look to be a great deal, they quoted $26/vehicle , that is for 2 pax and 4 bags... They said to just call them the day before. It's got to be better than dealing with the taxi drivers!!;)

I recommend that you call them say 30 minutes before you want to be picked up, their short term memory is good but they don't do well with bookings for some reason.

As a native New Yorker, I definitely recommend that you arrange for a car service. Putting the price aside, you will not be paying for a cab driver's learning curve. A lot of NYC taxi drivers do NOT know how to get to the Red Hook terminal by the shortest route. You are on vacation and do not want to play navigator.

As previously mentioned, you will also have a car with a clean trunk as opposed to old tires, anti-freeze, oil and maybe a prior rider or two :D

We once took a cab from Penn Station to the NYC Passenger Ship Terminal. The driver wanted to go up 8th Avenue to the Mid 50s and then cut across. BAD MOVE. I told him to make the left on 34th, go up the west side and we hopped out when the traffic started to back up. From that point it was about a four block walk to the terminal. He got a nice tip, made a right turn and headed back to midtown.

Have a great cruise!!

If booking a car service /acrecibocc how would you recommend contacting them when wanting transport from the ship into New York? Last month we were in Orlando & my husbands mobile/ cell phone didn't work.

Well if your mobile doesn't work you need a pay phone which is right by the exit. I suggest that you sort the mobile out though, maybe you need to select a different network in USA.

Maam,

Get a Livery VAN would be best with the luggage etc..:cool:

Not much more than a Livery Sedan.

Less costs and problems than having two sedans, Maam.

hi there ....there are 7 of us staying a at the New yorker hotel.....how many cars will we need?

Archived