Just Curious RE: Cape Town to Singapore 12/2011

vaitape

Has anyone else put a deposit on this cruise? We did before all the changes were made for the 2010 cruise.We wonder now if O will keep the itinerary in light of the continuing problems in that part of the world.

This cruise leaves Cape Town on Dec 22 2011. We've been looking at the 3 ports that Nautica will visit over the Christmas weekend next year...might make for slim pickings if things shut down for the Christmas holidays in South Africa.

Has anyone else put a deposit on this cruise? We did before all the changes were made for the 2010 cruise.We wonder now if O will keep the itinerary in light of the continuing problems in that part of the world.

This cruise leaves Cape Town on Dec 22 2011. We've been looking at the 3 ports that Nautica will visit over the Christmas weekend next year...might make for slim pickings if things shut down for the Christmas holidays in South Africa.

Vaitape, I wanted to take this cruise but my concerns came true when the itinerary was changed for this year. I gave it serious thoughts and decided to do East Africa as a land based tour instead.

yeah, we are really vacillating........we understand (and appreciate!) the concerns for safety. What would be good is if O revised next year's cruise itinerary sooner than later. Maybe that decision will be made following this year's cruise.

There is no way to see into the future and although I do understand their position and grateful, this is the type of cruise that is not only ultra expensive, you go all the way only to not be able to do what you booked the cruise for. I very seldom do a land tour because I travel alone and use Oceania as my comfort zone to return to each night, but in this case if problems continue to arise, then I cancel the entire tour at my discretion. It is a tough decision especially if one has waited all their life to experience this part of the country. Good Luck in your decision.:)

We booked for 2011 because we thought about taking the cruise this December, but changed our minds (doing South America for the holidays and Dubai/Athens in April). In a way I'm glad we didn't book because of the changes for 2010. And I agree, if they change the ports, it should be done sooner rather than later. Security is a big factor when sailing any place, but as was said it is expensive and with the tours, it gets to be more expensive. So at this moment, we have our deposit down and our cabin selected and lots of time to decide what we will be doing. Curious to see what other comments are posted. Arlene;)

Similar thoughts as ours Arlene. We have our deposit down and our cabin reserved and will wait to see what unfolds. It would be amazing if the dingity dang pirates went away, got rounded up, whatever....and the hostages were released (almost 500 of them at last report) so that the situation is less hazardous there in eastern Africa..........such a great itinerary we would experience!

BUT, since we have final payment 120 days out rather than the usual 90 days, it would be good to have notice regarding an adjustment in the itinerary sooner than later.

I am one of the passengers on the upcoming Cape Town to Singapore cruise (Dec. 11) on which the part of the itinerary going to East Africa was eliminated. I was quite unhappy because for reasons that are not clear, Oceania waited until just a few weeks ago to change the itinerary, for safety reasons. My unhappiness was primarily based on the fact that there have been safety at sea issues in that region for more than a year and that this itinerary should not have been set up initially and left as was for so long. There was another ship seizure by pirates near Lamu, which is only 50 miles from Mombasa, a few days ago. I not only believe that these activities will continue and lead to Oceania canceling this portion of the cruise, but also, I doubt that its insurer will let it take the risk, particularly in light of recent events. My advice is: cancel this cruise, and book one from that doesn't include East Africa. And/or: Do a lengthy land-based tour in East Africa from another port prior to or after another cruise (it is very easy to get to Kenya, or Tanzania, from European cities, for example), or separately. I was not as disappointed in the revised itinerary as many other passengers because I am already going on a lengthy safari on my own in Namibia prior to this cruise, and also, I spent a month several years ago on land-based safaris in Kenya, as well as land-based safaris in other sub-saharan African countries on other occasions. The day trips or very expensive 3 day, 2 might safaris that are available as shore excursions through the Line really don't give you the best opportunity to experience Africa. I was looking forward to revisiting a few places, for a day, that I had been to before, and going to Zanzibar, where I had not been.

I am one of the passengers on the upcoming Cape Town to Singapore cruise (Dec. 11) on which the part of the itinerary going to East Africa was eliminated. I was quite unhappy because for reasons that are not clear, Oceania waited until just a few weeks ago to change the itinerary, for safety reasons. My unhappiness was primarily based on the fact that there have been safety at sea issues in that region for more than a year and that this itinerary should not have been set up initially and left as was for so long. There was another ship seizure by pirates near Lamu, which is only 50 miles from Mombasa, a few days ago. I not only believe that these activities will continue and lead to Oceania canceling this portion of the cruise, but also, I doubt that its insurer will let it take the risk, particularly in light of recent events. My advice is: cancel this cruise, and book one from that doesn't include East Africa. And/or: Do a lengthy land-based tour in East Africa from another port prior to or after another cruise (it is very easy to get to Kenya, or Tanzania, from European cities, for example), or separately. I was not as disappointed in the revised itinerary as many other passengers because I am already going on a lengthy safari on my own in Namibia prior to this cruise, and also, I spent a month several years ago on land-based safaris in Kenya, as well as land-based safaris in other sub-saharan African countries on other occasions. The day trips or very expensive 3 day, 2 might safaris that are available as shore excursions through the Line really don't give you the best opportunity to experience Africa. I was looking forward to revisiting a few places, for a day, that I had been to before, and going to Zanzibar, where I had not been.

I would love to hear of your adventures on the safari when you return as that is exactly my plan for next year. :)

Archived