Looking for Authentic French Quarter Hotel

Neiner

I'm looking for a charming hotel in or near the French Quarter. I don't want a chain hotel where the rooms look the same whether you're in NYC, Columbus or Phoenix. I want the feel of New Orleans. Does that make sense? I've been searching online, looked through the threads going back years and haven't found anything that made me say - oh! that's the one. I don't want to spend $100s. Around a $100-150. I don't care if its updated, I guess that's the opposite of what I want. I'd like hot water, clean rooms, some Southern hospitality and some charm. A b&b would be good too.

Afterthought... It doesn't have to be in the French Quarter but as we won't have a vehicle it would need to be within a few blocks of the trolley.

Any suggestions?

I'm looking for a charming hotel in or near the French Quarter. I don't want a chain hotel where the rooms look the same whether you're in NYC, Columbus or Phoenix. I want the feel of New Orleans. Does that make sense? I've been searching online, looked through the threads going back years and haven't found anything that made me say - oh! that's the one. I don't want to spend $100s. Around a $100-150. I don't care if its updated, I guess that's the opposite of what I want. I'd like hot water, clean rooms, some Southern hospitality and some charm. A b&b would be good too.

Afterthought... It doesn't have to be in the French Quarter but as we won't have a vehicle it would need to be within a few blocks of the trolley.

Any suggestions?

Place d' Armes

In Quarter

A small old hotel

In middle of everything of quarter

1/2 block from Jackson Square

1 block from Cafe du Monde

2 blocks from Boubon Street

1 block from River

Near all better must do restaurants and bars

Ask questions about types of rooms and location

Wide variety of types

Courtyards are bigger and better

My sister and I stayed at the Hotel St. Marie. It was charming and lovely - very close to Bourbon St. (about half a block), but far enough away that we did not hear any noise. We did not have a car and were easily able to walk to Cafe du Monde, restaurants, and the trolley. Prices were reasonable, and they do have AAA and military discounts available.

Those are both great suggestions but still a bit pricey. Both are asking $250 per night. Unless I can get them on Priceline :p but unfortunately they're not on Priceline or Hotwire's list

Edit -- I take that back. Hotel St. Marie is a priceline hotel with a 3***. but then it's a gamble between St.Marie (good), Prince Conti(good) and Holiday Inn(Ugh!)

Those are both great suggestions but still a bit pricey. Both are asking $250 per night. Unless I can get them on Priceline :p but unfortunately they're not on Priceline or Hotwire's list

There must be a major event or events like large associations and conventions the same time you are there. That seems very high from my experience.

We have stayed there fo less than $100 a couple of times.

And I have stayed before at Hotel St Marie at $100.

Is your sail date a long way off,

and maybe they are not commiting lower prices yet ????

Edit -- I take that back. Hotel St. Marie is a priceline hotel with a 3***. but then it's a gamble between St.Marie (good), Prince Conti(good) and Holiday Inn(Ugh!)

The Holiday Inn is off beaten path if it same one i am familiar with.

We need the room for 2/25 & 2/26. A week and a half before Mardi Gras. :(. When do they start lowering the prices?

THEY WON'T,:eek:

because Mardi Gras activities are already in swing with parades, Krewe Events and Balls and fund raising events and many big events

beginning 2011: February 25 thru Fat Tuesday, March 8

Bad timing for room rates

but good timing for first weekend of Mardi Gras.

Stay out somewhere and come in to enjoy for the events.

Or pay for the Quarter for the one time experience.:D

We have same situation in Galveston Mardi Gras same dates,

but not quite as big.:D

Janine, how many nights are you planning to stay? I think you will find that many, many of the hotels in the area will be requiring a 2-night minimum stay at the time you are going to be there.

Our Feb. 6 reservation just came in under the wire of the busy Mardi Gras season.

Dianne

Sorry to tell you rates will NOT go down anytime soon unless the numbers for Mardi Gras drop. Which I doubt since they were close to pre-katrina numbers last year, if not at. I second the Dauphine Orleans, we stayed for this past Mardi Gras and probaly will for next Mardi Gras its an amazing hotel and prices are on par with what you want. We stayed in the carriage house, which is exactly what it sounds like, big huge rooms made from an old carraige house. I wish I took pictures because it was beautiful. Hotel is a block from bourbon, about 3-4 block from Canal st. Walking distance of all to see and for parades if you plan to catch on while there. Not walking distance from the pier but the front desk can call you a taxi. (btw I'm born and raised in New Orleans but currently live in Baton Rouge, which is way we were staying in a hotel for Mardi Gras)

Thank you everyone! Just wanted to let you know that I didn't take any of your suggestions:o but I appreciated them nonetheless. I checked into every one of them. All their prices were a bit too high. The Dauphine was $500 for 2 nights! Must be Mardi Gras.

I chose the the Prytania Park Hotel. It's in the Garden District. Right off St. Charles and the streetcar. The total for 2 nights is $158 +tax. It received tons of great reviews. Of course it got a few bad ones but they weren't anything serious. Someone was mad because they didn't think they should be charged 13% tax, someone else complained about the noise of the other guests in the courtyard as they returned from a festival, etc.

There is no cancellation fee as long as I cancel 48 hours prior so I think I'll still try priceline for a 4* French Quarter once we get our airline tix booked. If I don't get a fantastic deal that way I'll stick with what I have but I needed to get something locked in before the possiblility of everything going up in price or being booked solid.

Thanks again for everyone's help! I really appreciate it!

Archived